Re: [Unity_Games] Essen: Any suggestions?

  • Matthew Gray
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 3, 2001
      > Hey everybody; i'm sitting here thinking, on the eve of leaving for
      > Boston and then Europe; I'm going to Essen for the first time
      > (excited for sure), and wondering what to do when i get there:) Apart
      > from running around trying all the new stuff out, of course! i
      > thought i'd ask the people who've been before what they really
      > enjoyed, what they wish they had done, things they should've looked
      > for, etc.

      First, if you're at all looking for hard to find/out of print/bargain
      games, go to the used game booths first, which at least last year were
      in the far back hall. I was able to find most of what I wanted even
      though I didn't get there until the second day, but earlier is better.

      If you don't want to be on your feet/at the show for the entire time
      every day, plan on taking part of Saturday off, since that is by far
      the busiest day with the worst crowds.

      Especially for the smaller publishers (eg, Splotter, Cwali) rather
      than buy a game from them and lug it around all day, they'll usually
      set one aside for you that you can pick up later.

      When trying to get a rules explanation, or even just basic questions
      answered in English, the younger the person is, the more likely they
      are to speak English well. In general it's not a problem though. The
      Ravensburger people were the only one's last year who flat out refused
      to give rules explanations in English.

      The cafeteria food isn't bad, but gets a bit monotonous. Find a
      market and make yourself sandwiches (though the cafeteria folks won't
      let you use their tables).

      If you're buying several games from one booth/vendor, bargain with
      them. Especially the smaller retailers are happy to give bulk
      discounts. I bought a large number of the Kosmos 2-player line for
      the already low price of 20DM, plus another 15% off because I was
      buying several. The used game booths will often do this as well.
      Some places have official discount policies. Most just haggle a
      little.

      Depending how much you plan on buying, plan on making at least one
      trip back to the car or hotel on your heavy shopping days. Lugging
      games around gets very exhausting.

      If you need a break from the smoke, visit the KinderHall or whatever
      they call it. No smoking, and there's some cute stuff (like Pinky
      Rodeo).

      And finally, and perhaps most important, if you see a famous game
      designer in the bathroom, stand outside the restroom in wait for their
      autograph. :-)

      ...Matthew
    • Mark Edwards
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 3, 2001
        Matthew Gray wrote:

        > <very useful advice snipped>
        >
        > And finally, and perhaps most important, if you see a famous game
        > designer in the bathroom, stand outside the restroom in wait for their
        >
        > autograph. :-)

        Keep an eye out that they wash their hands first though. ;-)

        Also, pick up as many cheap copies of ShowManager as you can Pat,
        otherwise many folks back here will be stuck with a game about boat
        routes. I mean who wants to ship all over the place in a game?
        Heheheh. Okay, okay, just call me Walter on that one.

        Mark

        If you're interested in board games and are located in the Eastern Mass
        area, check out Unity Games!

        "Hey dad? ... wanna have a catch?"

      • Matthew Horn
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 3, 2001
          take my wife, please.

          Thank you! Try the fish!

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 3, 2001
              At 02:13 PM 10/3/01 -0400, Matthew Gray wrote:

              >If you don't want to be on your feet/at the show for the entire time
              >every day, plan on taking part of Saturday off, since that is by far
              >the busiest day with the worst crowds.

              Note that worst is relative. Though there was some difficulty in finding a
              place to sit down and play at some stands on part of Saturday last year,
              the fair was still less crowded than I had expected.

              >When trying to get a rules explanation, or even just basic questions
              >answered in English, the younger the person is, the more likely they
              >are to speak English well.

              Yep.

              >In general it's not a problem though. The
              >Ravensburger people were the only one's last year who flat out refused
              >to give rules explanations in English.

              I think that depends on who you catch. In an all English speaking group of
              four last year, we had no problem getting someone to teach us new games,
              even at Ravensburger.

              >Depending how much you plan on buying, plan on making at least one
              >trip back to the car or hotel on your heavy shopping days. Lugging
              >games around gets very exhausting.

              That's for sure. Alternatively, if you know someone who has a booth, you
              can store your stuff there until you leave.

              >If you need a break from the smoke, visit the KinderHall or whatever
              >they call it. No smoking, and there's some cute stuff (like Pinky
              >Rodeo).

              Yeah, but there are kids there! <shudder>

              -Pitt