Re: [Unity_Games] Latest Top 10

    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 1, 2001
      Craig Massey <cwmassey@...> wrote:

      >10. El Grande -

      One of my favorites. It needs to be played often enough that
      everyone is familiar with the cards or else the downtime as each
      one is read and "digested" can be a bit much for me.

      >8. Tycoon - I'm appreciating this game more and more.

      I really want to play this. I know I've seen a copy at Mark's.
      Maybe I can get him to show it to me next Tuesday at GSG?!?

      >6. Adel Verplichet - another old game.

      Agreed. But I have yet to play a game of this and not make some
      sort of silly mistake in placing out the wrong card. But I've
      finished 2nd in most games so even with the blunders I'm holding
      up.

      >3. Tichu -

      Played 2 or 3 times and it wasn't a game I really enjoyed and I'd
      be happy not to play again. But it's gut a HUGE following -
      especially among some UGers. I'm not a huge fan of trick-taking
      games anyway (but do enjoy Hearts and the few times I played
      Spades I did enjoy it).

      >1. Britannia - Another old game takes the top spot.

      I think this is best with 4. I played this recently and while it
      was enjoyable, it was a little long for the enjoyment I derived.
      But I think I'd definitely play it again - as would Campbell who
      was there both times I played and he seemed to rather enjoy it.
      Again, this benefits from people that know the system - the first
      game was a bit painful getting up to speed. The 2nd game was
      much better.

      Nice post Craig!

      dber@...
    • Mark Edwards
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 1, 2001
        Dave Bernazzani wrote:

        > >8. Tycoon - I'm appreciating this game more and more.
        >
        > I really want to play this. I know I've seen a copy at Mark's.
        > Maybe I can get him to show it to me next Tuesday at GSG?!?

        I do indeed have Tycoon. It would fit into my recent financial
        games mood. I may just force you to retry Shark though. Heheheh.

        > >1. Britannia - Another old game takes the top spot.
        >
        > I think this is best with 4. I played this recently and while it
        > was enjoyable, it was a little long for the enjoyment I derived.
        > But I think I'd definitely play it again - as would Campbell who
        > was there both times I played and he seemed to rather enjoy it.
        > Again, this benefits from people that know the system - the first
        > game was a bit painful getting up to speed. The 2nd game was
        > much better.

        I played this once at a Total Confusion convention with then
        stranger Michael Tsuk and a couple of other guys. It was quite a long
        game, but we all had a good time. I wouldn't want to play this with
        anyone that was too analytical though. I'm thinking that Campbell, Dave
        B and Joe M would be my opponents of choice. You know, guys who use the
        Force more often than not. ;-) My first shot of the day, and despite
        the crowd chanting Walter's name he wasn't even caught in the rain of
        debris.

        Mark

      • Patrick O'Brien
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 1, 2001
          Craig Massey wrote:
          > I'm so bummed that I missed this one. So did 5 hour
          > dune scare anyone off another game in the near future?
          >
          > =====
          > Craig W. Massey
          > cwmassey@y...

          > http://phone.yahoo.com

          count me in, Craig, i'd be up for a game of this at future
          gatherings, for sure.

          patrick
        • Craig Massey
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 2, 2001
            --- Patrick O'Brien <jonnypolite@...> wrote:
            > count me in, Craig, i'd be up for a game of this at
            > future
            > gatherings, for sure.
            >
            > patrick

            Last year Die Macher - this year Dune. Sounds great
            to me.

            Craig

            =====
            Craig W. Massey