Re: [Unity_Games] Weekend Gaming

  • Craig Massey
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 1, 2001
      --- AndAgainMA@... wrote:

      > ps I was going to ask Craig if he was happy with the
      > response to his call for a more lively UG group this
      > month... but I think I already know the answer.

      The usual suspects are doing a fine job today. I'm
      just waiting for Matthew to chime in with some stats
      (is there a large enough sample for a phallic
      reference stat) and Jonathan to post about Knizia.

      =====
      Craig W. Massey
      cwmassey@...

      http://phone.yahoo.com
    • Matthew Gray
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 22, 2001
        I played a total of 17 games this weekend, bringing my 2001 total up
        to 500.

        Games played: Loopin' Louie x 3, Zirkus Flohcati x 2, 6 nimmt!, Adel
        Verpflichtet, Apples to Apples, Compatibility, Drunter & Druber,
        Elements, Gossip, Igel Argern, Lost Cities, Monsterjagd, San Marco,
        Speed

        On Saturday, I only managed to make it for the evening part of Bob day
        with my friend Roxanne. First, we played San Marco, which
        surprisingly enough I had never played before. I like the mechanic,
        and the game was interesting but the swings in control seemed
        excessive, substantially due to banishments. Mark took the win. Then
        we played Drunter & Druber, a game I had played for the first time
        with Bob some time ago. Despite my attempts to not give away which
        buildings were mine, and to dead end the water and road which I had
        relatively few tiles of, my buildings got crushed, Roxanne started
        conspicuously defending Orange, which caused them to go down and Bob
        walked away with the win. We wrapped up with a game of Igel Argern
        with the "Doping Variant", which causes the first hedgehog across the
        finish line to be disqualified. I set Bob up to be that hedgehog and
        he proceeded to roll the one number that allowed him to make me that
        hedgehog. After a tense endgame, Bob managed to get three of his
        hedgehogs in.

        Upon realizing that yesterday was the last day of Essen and there were
        still a few games I had picked up at last years Essen that I hadn't
        played yet, an effort was made to play those. First to arrive were
        Brian Tivol and Richard Davis. Brian had tried it once before and not
        been too impressed, but was interested in trying it again. It didn't
        suck. It's a cute bidding/bluffing game. Worth the Adlung price.
        One down.

        Next, I realized Richard had to play Loopin' Louie, so we played a few
        rounds of that waiting for anyone else to show up. Luke showed up,
        played a game of Loopin' Louie, and we decided to try another
        remaining game from last years Essen.

        We pulled out Monsterjagd, a children's memory/speed game. Definitely
        a children's game, but fun all the same. Fun enough that we thought
        about playing another game, but decided to move on to something new,
        since Christine had arrived in the meantime.

        We settled on Gossip, another game from last years Essen, but this
        time one that had been played for only part of a game before. Last
        time we tried it, Dave Rapp didn't want to learn the rules, and then
        once we were playing, didn't really enjoy it because he didn't know
        the rules. The gossip spread fast and Brian rapidly gained one of the
        best reputations, with Luke floundering in unpopularity. Finally, in
        the end, I managed to snatch the victory from Brian with a luckily
        timed set of good gossip about myself.

        Powering through my remaining Essen games, we grabbed Zirkus Flohcati,
        which was surprisingly light and fun. I'm not sure I see a lot of
        strategy, and I almost wonder if we got the rules right, but it was
        fun enough, we played twice.

        The only remaining unplayed games from last years Essen were
        Lowendynastie, Roads & Boats, and Haps. We decided to move on to more
        familiar games.

        Adel Verpflichtet was next. I think Adel Verp is better with 5 than
        4, but it's still pretty good. I tried the one strategy I've ever won
        with, which is holding off on going to the Palace very much to buy a
        lot of antiques, and then making a mad dash to win, ignoring theives.
        Unfortunately, it was too little too late, and Brian won.

        Then, Chris and Roxanne arrived, and we played a round of Apples to
        Apples with the new (#2) expansion set. This puts this game in my 20+
        list. Definitely one of the best party games around.

        As seems to be the rule with this group, there was a call for 6
        nimmt!, and everyone had played before except Luke. Overall an
        impressively close game with Chris winning with 40 points.

        Finally, we wrapped up with a game of Compatibility, in which we found
        out that Luke and I aren't too compatible, though we made a
        substantial improvement by the end of the game, and Chris and Brian
        just barely beat out Roxanne and Christine.

        After everyone left, Carrie and I played a game of Lost Cities, in
        which each of us had a "big" round of 60+ points, and in the final
        round Carrie edged me out by 4 points.

        Realizing that this was my 499th game of the year, we played a quick
        game of Speed to make it an even 500. I won.

        ...Matthew
      • Craig Massey
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 22, 2001
          --- In Unity_Games@y..., Matthew Gray <matthew@g...> wrote:

          > On Saturday, I only managed to make it for the evening part of Bob
          day
          > with my friend Roxanne. First, we played San Marco, which
          > surprisingly enough I had never played before. I like the mechanic,
          > and the game was interesting but the swings in control seemed
          > excessive, substantially due to banishments. Mark took the win.

          Jumping into San Marco defense mode. The excessive swings in control
          seems to be cited often as a bit of a bug in this game. I don't
          really agree with this in general. If you play for the banishment
          cards you are just as likely to roll a low number as you are to roll a
          high number. You often see the banishment cards put with high limit
          point making the risk/reward hard to value. I think you can avoid
          playing for the banishment cards and spread your control markers
          around the board to help avoid the potential big swings.

          > Upon realizing that yesterday was the last day of Essen and there
          were
          > still a few games I had picked up at last years Essen that I hadn't
          > played yet, an effort was made to play those. First to arrive were
          > Brian Tivol and Richard Davis. Brian had tried it once before and
          not
          > been too impressed, but was interested in trying it again. It
          didn't
          > suck. It's a cute bidding/bluffing game. Worth the Adlung price.
          > One down.

          Which game are you referring to here Matthew?
        • Matthew Gray
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 22, 2001
            > I think you can avoid
            > playing for the banishment cards and spread your control markers
            > around the board to help avoid the potential big swings.

            I suppose, but I'm not convinced. Mark, who won, had a total of 4
            cubes on the board, and was behind by many points going into the final
            round. He wone by a substantial margin. Everyone being in it until
            the end is one thing, but this was a bit extreme. I still enjoyed the
            game though.

            > > Brian Tivol and Richard Davis. Brian had tried it once before and not
            > > been too impressed, but was interested in trying it again. It didn't
            > > suck. It's a cute bidding/bluffing game. Worth the Adlung price.
            > > One down.
            >
            > Which game are you referring to here Matthew?

            Er, "Elements".

            I continue to be rather impressed with Adlung. In both the grownup
            and children's category they have some very good games:

            RATING GAMES
            A Verrater, Meuterer, Speed, Shit!, Bambuti, Im Marchenwald
            B Take Off, Elements, Ebbe & Flut, Monsterjagd, Titus
            C Pisa, Dschungel, Geruchte Kuche
            D Maskenball

            where Pisa might be a B- instead of a C+ and Titus might be a C+
            instead of a B-. Maskenball might be better with the right crowd...

            ...Matthew
          • Craig Massey
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 22, 2001
              --- Matthew Gray <matthew@...> wrote:
              > I suppose, but I'm not convinced. Mark, who won,
              > had a total of 4
              > cubes on the board, and was behind by many points
              > going into the final
              > round. He wone by a substantial margin. Everyone
              > being in it until
              > the end is one thing, but this was a bit extreme. I
              > still enjoyed the
              > game though.

              Give it another try. The game seems to be designed to
              be close, but I don't think the banishment is anywhere
              near as powerful as many think. Play this a few more
              times.

              > RATING GAMES
              > A Verrater, Meuterer, Speed, Shit!, Bambuti,
              > Im Marchenwald
              > B Take Off, Elements, Ebbe & Flut,
              > Monsterjagd, Titus
              > C Pisa, Dschungel, Geruchte Kuche
              > D Maskenball
              >
              > where Pisa might be a B- instead of a C+ and Titus
              > might be a C+
              > instead of a B-. Maskenball might be better with
              > the right crowd...

              I'd put Pisa in the B+ category. I'll add
              Lowendynastie to the B as well. Titus didn't impress
              me and only gets a C.

              Alan seems to be plugging one of their new Essen games
              Vol Kap Dis Kairo.

              Craig

              =====
              Craig W. Massey
              cwmassey@...

              http://personals.yahoo.com
            • AndAgainMA@aol.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 22, 2001
                If the banishment swings from d6 rolls are your problem with San Marco, you can try to fix that as follows: use a d4 if you think that mean number of cubes is too high, or pretend the d6 has sides 2, 3, 3, 4, 4, 5 if you think that the variance is too high.

                Andrew.