Re: [Unity_Games] Latest Top 10

  • Mark Edwards
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 1, 2001
      The Quivering Messiah wrote:

      > Pitt Crandlemire wrote:
      > > Because it's just a bit too long for what it is. If you want a
      > "wargamey"
      > > German-style game, you're better off with any number of older AH
      > titles,
      > > like Dune, Britannia, etc.
      >
      > Agreed, but don't count out recent games like Vinci and Empires of
      > the
      > Ancient World.

      I'll third that and throw in Serenissma.

      As for the AH games, there are a lot of them that should come out
      more often. A few AH games I'd like to try or play again soon are
      Kremlin, Guerilla, Breakout Normandy, Hannibal: Rome vs Carthage,
      Republic of Rome, Storm Over Arnhem and Wooden Ships & Iron Men.

      Speaking of AH, anyone know anything about Showbiz and TV Wars?
      Ratings seem mixed at best on BGG.

      Mark

      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 1, 2001
        Craig Massey <cwmassey@...> wrote:

        >10. El Grande -

        One of my favorites. It needs to be played often enough that
        everyone is familiar with the cards or else the downtime as each
        one is read and "digested" can be a bit much for me.

        >8. Tycoon - I'm appreciating this game more and more.

        I really want to play this. I know I've seen a copy at Mark's.
        Maybe I can get him to show it to me next Tuesday at GSG?!?

        >6. Adel Verplichet - another old game.

        Agreed. But I have yet to play a game of this and not make some
        sort of silly mistake in placing out the wrong card. But I've
        finished 2nd in most games so even with the blunders I'm holding
        up.

        >3. Tichu -

        Played 2 or 3 times and it wasn't a game I really enjoyed and I'd
        be happy not to play again. But it's gut a HUGE following -
        especially among some UGers. I'm not a huge fan of trick-taking
        games anyway (but do enjoy Hearts and the few times I played
        Spades I did enjoy it).

        >1. Britannia - Another old game takes the top spot.

        I think this is best with 4. I played this recently and while it
        was enjoyable, it was a little long for the enjoyment I derived.
        But I think I'd definitely play it again - as would Campbell who
        was there both times I played and he seemed to rather enjoy it.
        Again, this benefits from people that know the system - the first
        game was a bit painful getting up to speed. The 2nd game was
        much better.

        Nice post Craig!

        dber@...
      • Mark Edwards
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 1, 2001
          Dave Bernazzani wrote:

          > >8. Tycoon - I'm appreciating this game more and more.
          >
          > I really want to play this. I know I've seen a copy at Mark's.
          > Maybe I can get him to show it to me next Tuesday at GSG?!?

          I do indeed have Tycoon. It would fit into my recent financial
          games mood. I may just force you to retry Shark though. Heheheh.

          > >1. Britannia - Another old game takes the top spot.
          >
          > I think this is best with 4. I played this recently and while it
          > was enjoyable, it was a little long for the enjoyment I derived.
          > But I think I'd definitely play it again - as would Campbell who
          > was there both times I played and he seemed to rather enjoy it.
          > Again, this benefits from people that know the system - the first
          > game was a bit painful getting up to speed. The 2nd game was
          > much better.

          I played this once at a Total Confusion convention with then
          stranger Michael Tsuk and a couple of other guys. It was quite a long
          game, but we all had a good time. I wouldn't want to play this with
          anyone that was too analytical though. I'm thinking that Campbell, Dave
          B and Joe M would be my opponents of choice. You know, guys who use the
          Force more often than not. ;-) My first shot of the day, and despite
          the crowd chanting Walter's name he wasn't even caught in the rain of
          debris.

          Mark

        • Patrick O'Brien
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 1, 2001
            Craig Massey wrote:
            > I'm so bummed that I missed this one. So did 5 hour
            > dune scare anyone off another game in the near future?
            >
            > =====
            > Craig W. Massey
            > cwmassey@y...

            > http://phone.yahoo.com

            count me in, Craig, i'd be up for a game of this at future
            gatherings, for sure.

            patrick
          • Craig Massey
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 2, 2001
              --- Patrick O'Brien <jonnypolite@...> wrote:
              > count me in, Craig, i'd be up for a game of this at
              > future
              > gatherings, for sure.
              >
              > patrick

              Last year Die Macher - this year Dune. Sounds great
              to me.

              Craig

              =====
              Craig W. Massey