Re: [Unity_Games] Latest Top 10

  • AlanRMoon@aol.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 1, 2001
      In a message dated 10/1/01 3:35:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time, pittc@...
      writes:

      <<
      Seems to me that those Guild kamikazes were brought in when and where my
      erstwhile Harkonnen ally kept advising. Had I only followed my own
      instincts and landed them in the Polar Cap for a few turns, the Guild
      forces would have been something to reckon with. In any case, if only the
      Baron's babies, bankrolled by the Guild, had managed to win a few of their
      non-gimme battles, we would have won anyway. Also, as a rule of thumb,
      it's probably best not engage in 4 battles in 4 different strongholds in
      the same turn - especially when you only have one leader...

      >>Says the man who was urging me to do just this.
    • Mark Edwards
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 1, 2001
        The Quivering Messiah wrote:

        > Pitt Crandlemire wrote:
        > > Because it's just a bit too long for what it is. If you want a
        > "wargamey"
        > > German-style game, you're better off with any number of older AH
        > titles,
        > > like Dune, Britannia, etc.
        >
        > Agreed, but don't count out recent games like Vinci and Empires of
        > the
        > Ancient World.

        I'll third that and throw in Serenissma.

        As for the AH games, there are a lot of them that should come out
        more often. A few AH games I'd like to try or play again soon are
        Kremlin, Guerilla, Breakout Normandy, Hannibal: Rome vs Carthage,
        Republic of Rome, Storm Over Arnhem and Wooden Ships & Iron Men.

        Speaking of AH, anyone know anything about Showbiz and TV Wars?
        Ratings seem mixed at best on BGG.

        Mark

        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 1, 2001
          Craig Massey <cwmassey@...> wrote:

          >10. El Grande -

          One of my favorites. It needs to be played often enough that
          everyone is familiar with the cards or else the downtime as each
          one is read and "digested" can be a bit much for me.

          >8. Tycoon - I'm appreciating this game more and more.

          I really want to play this. I know I've seen a copy at Mark's.
          Maybe I can get him to show it to me next Tuesday at GSG?!?

          >6. Adel Verplichet - another old game.

          Agreed. But I have yet to play a game of this and not make some
          sort of silly mistake in placing out the wrong card. But I've
          finished 2nd in most games so even with the blunders I'm holding
          up.

          >3. Tichu -

          Played 2 or 3 times and it wasn't a game I really enjoyed and I'd
          be happy not to play again. But it's gut a HUGE following -
          especially among some UGers. I'm not a huge fan of trick-taking
          games anyway (but do enjoy Hearts and the few times I played
          Spades I did enjoy it).

          >1. Britannia - Another old game takes the top spot.

          I think this is best with 4. I played this recently and while it
          was enjoyable, it was a little long for the enjoyment I derived.
          But I think I'd definitely play it again - as would Campbell who
          was there both times I played and he seemed to rather enjoy it.
          Again, this benefits from people that know the system - the first
          game was a bit painful getting up to speed. The 2nd game was
          much better.

          Nice post Craig!

          dber@...
        • Mark Edwards
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 1, 2001
            Dave Bernazzani wrote:

            > >8. Tycoon - I'm appreciating this game more and more.
            >
            > I really want to play this. I know I've seen a copy at Mark's.
            > Maybe I can get him to show it to me next Tuesday at GSG?!?

            I do indeed have Tycoon. It would fit into my recent financial
            games mood. I may just force you to retry Shark though. Heheheh.

            > >1. Britannia - Another old game takes the top spot.
            >
            > I think this is best with 4. I played this recently and while it
            > was enjoyable, it was a little long for the enjoyment I derived.
            > But I think I'd definitely play it again - as would Campbell who
            > was there both times I played and he seemed to rather enjoy it.
            > Again, this benefits from people that know the system - the first
            > game was a bit painful getting up to speed. The 2nd game was
            > much better.

            I played this once at a Total Confusion convention with then
            stranger Michael Tsuk and a couple of other guys. It was quite a long
            game, but we all had a good time. I wouldn't want to play this with
            anyone that was too analytical though. I'm thinking that Campbell, Dave
            B and Joe M would be my opponents of choice. You know, guys who use the
            Force more often than not. ;-) My first shot of the day, and despite
            the crowd chanting Walter's name he wasn't even caught in the rain of
            debris.

            Mark

          • Patrick O'Brien
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 1, 2001
              Craig Massey wrote:
              > I'm so bummed that I missed this one. So did 5 hour
              > dune scare anyone off another game in the near future?
              >
              > =====
              > Craig W. Massey
              > cwmassey@y...

              > http://phone.yahoo.com

              count me in, Craig, i'd be up for a game of this at future
              gatherings, for sure.

              patrick
            • Craig Massey
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 2, 2001
                --- Patrick O'Brien <jonnypolite@...> wrote:
                > count me in, Craig, i'd be up for a game of this at
                > future
                > gatherings, for sure.
                >
                > patrick

                Last year Die Macher - this year Dune. Sounds great
                to me.

                Craig

                =====
                Craig W. Massey