RE: [Unity_Games] Latest Top 10

  • Matthew Horn
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 1, 2001
      I would put whist ahead of TICHU, SPADES, HEARTS and any other trick taking
      game you can throw at me. Hell, I'm so confident, I didn't even capitalize
      it. TICHU deserves some more plays before I can really say I like it, but
      what little I saw, I dug.

      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 1, 2001
        At 03:08 PM 10/1/01 -0400, Alan wrote:
        His Guild troops will forever be remembered as suicide fish.

        I have never played Dune--although it sounds like i would like it--and i
        have no idea what this sentence means, but i love the imagery.

        here's to more poetry on the list!

        Constantine

        "It rains on the just and the unjust, but why does it rain on me?"
        --Charlie Brown

      • Pitt Crandlemire
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 1, 2001
          At 03:08 PM 10/1/01 EDT, AlanRMoon@... wrote:
          >In a message dated 10/1/01 2:36:38 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
          pittc@...
          >writes:
          >
          ><<
          > 3. Tichu - I final got to play Tichu - very enjoyable. Best card game in
          >the rolling trick taking genre.
          >
          > I'd even rather play this than Spades at the moment.

          >it has a huge luck factor. You can get bad hands, and when you get a few of
          >them in a row, the game is not much fun. On the other hand, it is almost
          >impossible to get a bad hand in SPADES because even bad hands when bid
          >correctly garner positive results. SPADES is easily still the ultimate trick
          >taking card game. I'd put MUE or HEARTS second and third.

          I agree with Alan. Tichu, like any other game that is weighted toward
          strong cards only, is not completely balanced. Having said that, the
          variety of possible combinations (pairs, set of pairs, straights, triples,
          high cards) goes a long way to minimizing this. A long straight of low
          cards is very effective if you can ever get on lead. Further, I find that
          it is possible, more often than not, to effectively shape your hand through
          the pass. Most of the time, I've been able to turn a bad hand into at
          least a mediocre hand by anticipating my opponents' passes to me based on
          the cards I'm holding and then passing accordingly. It's always sweet to
          get a 2s or 3s bomb because the opponents passed you the card(s) you needed.

          >1. Britannia - Another old game takes the top spot. The 3 hours spent
          playing
          >this with Pitt, Mike and Alan were the most entertaining hours spent gaming
          >in the last month.
          >
          > Agreed, though the 5 hours Alan, Mike, David, Bass, and I spent playing
          > Dune come very close.
          >
          >>>I don't usually like to play games that take more than an hour, but I
          >really enjoyed reliving the old days with these two. I played 50-100 games
          of
          >DUNE back in the 70s/80s, and I also played a whole bunch of BRITANNIA when
          >that was first out. Both are terrific games that get better as the players
          >play more. If you get in a DUNE game with Pitt though, I adivse you not to
          >ally with him. He was nothing but dead weight in our alliance. I held 3
          >strongholds throughout our alliance which would have been enough to win if I
          >in a sole victory. Allied with Pitt, I needed four to win. All he did was
          >bring on troops who were eliminated each turn shortly after arriving on
          >Arrakis. His Guild troops will forever be remembered as suicide fish.

          Seems to me that those Guild kamikazes were brought in when and where my
          erstwhile Harkonnen ally kept advising. Had I only followed my own
          instincts and landed them in the Polar Cap for a few turns, the Guild
          forces would have been something to reckon with. In any case, if only the
          Baron's babies, bankrolled by the Guild, had managed to win a few of their
          non-gimme battles, we would have won anyway. Also, as a rule of thumb,
          it's probably best not engage in 4 battles in 4 different strongholds in
          the same turn - especially when you only have one leader...

          -Pitt
        • AlanRMoon@aol.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 1, 2001
            In a message dated 10/1/01 3:35:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time, pittc@...
            writes:

            <<
            Seems to me that those Guild kamikazes were brought in when and where my
            erstwhile Harkonnen ally kept advising. Had I only followed my own
            instincts and landed them in the Polar Cap for a few turns, the Guild
            forces would have been something to reckon with. In any case, if only the
            Baron's babies, bankrolled by the Guild, had managed to win a few of their
            non-gimme battles, we would have won anyway. Also, as a rule of thumb,
            it's probably best not engage in 4 battles in 4 different strongholds in
            the same turn - especially when you only have one leader...

            >>Says the man who was urging me to do just this.
          • Mark Edwards
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 1, 2001
              The Quivering Messiah wrote:

              > Pitt Crandlemire wrote:
              > > Because it's just a bit too long for what it is. If you want a
              > "wargamey"
              > > German-style game, you're better off with any number of older AH
              > titles,
              > > like Dune, Britannia, etc.
              >
              > Agreed, but don't count out recent games like Vinci and Empires of
              > the
              > Ancient World.

              I'll third that and throw in Serenissma.

              As for the AH games, there are a lot of them that should come out
              more often. A few AH games I'd like to try or play again soon are
              Kremlin, Guerilla, Breakout Normandy, Hannibal: Rome vs Carthage,
              Republic of Rome, Storm Over Arnhem and Wooden Ships & Iron Men.

              Speaking of AH, anyone know anything about Showbiz and TV Wars?
              Ratings seem mixed at best on BGG.

              Mark

              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 1, 2001
                Craig Massey <cwmassey@...> wrote:

                >10. El Grande -

                One of my favorites. It needs to be played often enough that
                everyone is familiar with the cards or else the downtime as each
                one is read and "digested" can be a bit much for me.

                >8. Tycoon - I'm appreciating this game more and more.

                I really want to play this. I know I've seen a copy at Mark's.
                Maybe I can get him to show it to me next Tuesday at GSG?!?

                >6. Adel Verplichet - another old game.

                Agreed. But I have yet to play a game of this and not make some
                sort of silly mistake in placing out the wrong card. But I've
                finished 2nd in most games so even with the blunders I'm holding
                up.

                >3. Tichu -

                Played 2 or 3 times and it wasn't a game I really enjoyed and I'd
                be happy not to play again. But it's gut a HUGE following -
                especially among some UGers. I'm not a huge fan of trick-taking
                games anyway (but do enjoy Hearts and the few times I played
                Spades I did enjoy it).

                >1. Britannia - Another old game takes the top spot.

                I think this is best with 4. I played this recently and while it
                was enjoyable, it was a little long for the enjoyment I derived.
                But I think I'd definitely play it again - as would Campbell who
                was there both times I played and he seemed to rather enjoy it.
                Again, this benefits from people that know the system - the first
                game was a bit painful getting up to speed. The 2nd game was
                much better.

                Nice post Craig!

                dber@...
              • Mark Edwards
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 1, 2001
                  Dave Bernazzani wrote:

                  > >8. Tycoon - I'm appreciating this game more and more.
                  >
                  > I really want to play this. I know I've seen a copy at Mark's.
                  > Maybe I can get him to show it to me next Tuesday at GSG?!?

                  I do indeed have Tycoon. It would fit into my recent financial
                  games mood. I may just force you to retry Shark though. Heheheh.

                  > >1. Britannia - Another old game takes the top spot.
                  >
                  > I think this is best with 4. I played this recently and while it
                  > was enjoyable, it was a little long for the enjoyment I derived.
                  > But I think I'd definitely play it again - as would Campbell who
                  > was there both times I played and he seemed to rather enjoy it.
                  > Again, this benefits from people that know the system - the first
                  > game was a bit painful getting up to speed. The 2nd game was
                  > much better.

                  I played this once at a Total Confusion convention with then
                  stranger Michael Tsuk and a couple of other guys. It was quite a long
                  game, but we all had a good time. I wouldn't want to play this with
                  anyone that was too analytical though. I'm thinking that Campbell, Dave
                  B and Joe M would be my opponents of choice. You know, guys who use the
                  Force more often than not. ;-) My first shot of the day, and despite
                  the crowd chanting Walter's name he wasn't even caught in the rain of
                  debris.

                  Mark

                • Patrick O'Brien
                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 1, 2001
                    Craig Massey wrote:
                    > I'm so bummed that I missed this one. So did 5 hour
                    > dune scare anyone off another game in the near future?
                    >
                    > =====
                    > Craig W. Massey
                    > cwmassey@y...

                    > http://phone.yahoo.com

                    count me in, Craig, i'd be up for a game of this at future
                    gatherings, for sure.

                    patrick
                  • Craig Massey
                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 2, 2001
                      --- Patrick O'Brien <jonnypolite@...> wrote:
                      > count me in, Craig, i'd be up for a game of this at
                      > future
                      > gatherings, for sure.
                      >
                      > patrick

                      Last year Die Macher - this year Dune. Sounds great
                      to me.

                      Craig

                      =====
                      Craig W. Massey