Re: [Unity_Games] Latest Top 10

  • Craig Massey
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 1, 2001
      --- Pitt Crandlemire <pittc@...> wrote:
      > At 10:26 AM 10/1/01 -0700, Craig Massey wrote:
      > >
      > >10. El Grande - got to play again over the weekend
      > and
      > >had a great time. Why doesn't this game get played
      > >more often?
      >
      > Because it's just a bit too long for what it is. If
      > you want a "wargamey"
      > German-style game, you're better off with any number
      > of older AH titles,
      > like Dune, Britannia, etc.

      I'm not sure if I would put it in the same category as
      Dune, Britannia etc. Or even Vinci or EotAW. And as
      far as it being long, it is a 90 minute game tops.
      Any longer and you are absolutely right, it becomes
      too long for what you get.

      > >1. Britannia - Another old game takes the top spot.
      >
      > >The 3 hours spent playing this with Pitt, Mike and
      > >Alan were the most entertaining hours spent gaming
      > in
      > >the last month.
      >
      > Agreed, though the 5 hours Alan, Mike, David, Bass,
      > and I spent playing
      > Dune come very close.

      I'm so bummed that I missed this one. So did 5 hour
      dune scare anyone off another game in the near future?

      =====
      Craig W. Massey
      cwmassey@...

      http://phone.yahoo.com
    • AlanRMoon@aol.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 1, 2001
        In a message dated 10/1/01 2:36:38 PM Eastern Daylight Time, pittc@...
        writes:

        <<
        3. Tichu - I final got to play Tichu - very enjoyable. Best card game in
        the rolling trick taking genre.

        I'd even rather play this than Spades at the moment.

        it has a huge luck factor. You can get bad hands, and when you get a few of
        them in a row, the game is not much fun. On the other hand, it is almost
        impossible to get a bad hand in SPADES because even bad hands when bid
        correctly garner positive results. SPADES is easily still the ultimate trick
        taking card game. I'd put MUE or HEARTS second and third.

        1. Britannia - Another old game takes the top spot. The 3 hours spent playing
        this with Pitt, Mike and Alan were the most entertaining hours spent gaming
        in the last month.

        Agreed, though the 5 hours Alan, Mike, David, Bass, and I spent playing
        Dune come very close.

        >>I don't usually like to play games that take more than an hour, but I
        really enjoyed reliving the old days with these two. I played 50-100 games of
        DUNE back in the 70s/80s, and I also played a whole bunch of BRITANNIA when
        that was first out. Both are terrific games that get better as the players
        play more. If you get in a DUNE game with Pitt though, I adivse you not to
        ally with him. He was nothing but dead weight in our alliance. I held 3
        strongholds throughout our alliance which would have been enough to win if I
        in a sole victory. Allied with Pitt, I needed four to win. All he did was
        bring on troops who were eliminated each turn shortly after arriving on
        Arrakis. His Guild troops will forever be remembered as suicide fish.

        Alan
      • Craig Massey
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 1, 2001
          --- AlanRMoon@... wrote:
          > many ways a brilliant game,
          > it has a huge luck factor. You can get bad hands,
          > and when you get a few of
          > them in a row, the game is not much fun. On the
          > other hand, it is almost
          > impossible to get a bad hand in SPADES because even
          > bad hands when bid
          > correctly garner positive results. SPADES is easily
          > still the ultimate trick
          > taking card game. I'd put MUE or HEARTS second and
          > third.

          Case in point - Alan acting as total dead weight in a
          game with me verses Pitt and Dave. That was a total
          series of bad hands.

          I don't know about Spades as the ultimate trick taking
          game though. It's probably 5th or 6th on my list.

          =====
          Craig W. Massey
          cwmassey@...

          http://phone.yahoo.com
        • David Rapp
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 1, 2001
            > bring on troops who were eliminated each turn shortly after arriving on
            > Arrakis. His Guild troops will forever be remembered as suicide fish.

            Well, the victory went to those who deserved it. Me and Schloth. As the
            Emperor, I allied (read: used) with the Fremen peasants to acquire
            sietches, and then allied with the Atreides. After all, I know who wins
            out in the end. It's my weirding way.

          • Matthew Horn
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 1, 2001
              I would put whist ahead of TICHU, SPADES, HEARTS and any other trick taking
              game you can throw at me. Hell, I'm so confident, I didn't even capitalize
              it. TICHU deserves some more plays before I can really say I like it, but
              what little I saw, I dug.

              > many ways a brilliant game,
              > it has a huge luck factor. You can get bad hands,
              > and when you get a few of
              > them in a row, the game is not much fun. On the
              > other hand, it is almost
              > impossible to get a bad hand in SPADES because even
              > bad hands when bid
              > correctly garner positive results. SPADES is easily
              > still the ultimate trick
              > taking card game. I'd put MUE or HEARTS second and
              > third.

              Case in point - Alan acting as total dead weight in a
              game with me verses Pitt and Dave. That was a total
              series of bad hands.

              I don't know about Spades as the ultimate trick taking
              game though. It's probably 5th or 6th on my list.

              =====
              Craig W. Massey
              cwmassey@...

              http://phone.yahoo.com <http://phone.yahoo.com>

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=194081.1637497.3177299.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17050528
              96:HM/A=795262/R=0/*http://www.ediets.com/start.cfm?code=3257> Click Here!

              <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=194081.1637497.3177299.1261774/D=egroupmai
              l/S=1705052896:HM/A=795262/rand=451788528>

              UNITY GAMES III is Nov 10, 2001! http://www.gis.net/~dber/ug3/ug3.htm
              <http://www.gis.net/~dber/ug3/ug3.htm>

              <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
            • Constantine von Hoffman
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 1, 2001
                At 03:08 PM 10/1/01 -0400, Alan wrote:
                His Guild troops will forever be remembered as suicide fish.

                I have never played Dune--although it sounds like i would like it--and i
                have no idea what this sentence means, but i love the imagery.

                here's to more poetry on the list!

                Constantine

                "It rains on the just and the unjust, but why does it rain on me?"
                --Charlie Brown

              • Pitt Crandlemire
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 1, 2001
                  At 03:08 PM 10/1/01 EDT, AlanRMoon@... wrote:
                  >In a message dated 10/1/01 2:36:38 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                  pittc@...
                  >writes:
                  >
                  ><<
                  > 3. Tichu - I final got to play Tichu - very enjoyable. Best card game in
                  >the rolling trick taking genre.
                  >
                  > I'd even rather play this than Spades at the moment.

                  >it has a huge luck factor. You can get bad hands, and when you get a few of
                  >them in a row, the game is not much fun. On the other hand, it is almost
                  >impossible to get a bad hand in SPADES because even bad hands when bid
                  >correctly garner positive results. SPADES is easily still the ultimate trick
                  >taking card game. I'd put MUE or HEARTS second and third.

                  I agree with Alan. Tichu, like any other game that is weighted toward
                  strong cards only, is not completely balanced. Having said that, the
                  variety of possible combinations (pairs, set of pairs, straights, triples,
                  high cards) goes a long way to minimizing this. A long straight of low
                  cards is very effective if you can ever get on lead. Further, I find that
                  it is possible, more often than not, to effectively shape your hand through
                  the pass. Most of the time, I've been able to turn a bad hand into at
                  least a mediocre hand by anticipating my opponents' passes to me based on
                  the cards I'm holding and then passing accordingly. It's always sweet to
                  get a 2s or 3s bomb because the opponents passed you the card(s) you needed.

                  >1. Britannia - Another old game takes the top spot. The 3 hours spent
                  playing
                  >this with Pitt, Mike and Alan were the most entertaining hours spent gaming
                  >in the last month.
                  >
                  > Agreed, though the 5 hours Alan, Mike, David, Bass, and I spent playing
                  > Dune come very close.
                  >
                  >>>I don't usually like to play games that take more than an hour, but I
                  >really enjoyed reliving the old days with these two. I played 50-100 games
                  of
                  >DUNE back in the 70s/80s, and I also played a whole bunch of BRITANNIA when
                  >that was first out. Both are terrific games that get better as the players
                  >play more. If you get in a DUNE game with Pitt though, I adivse you not to
                  >ally with him. He was nothing but dead weight in our alliance. I held 3
                  >strongholds throughout our alliance which would have been enough to win if I
                  >in a sole victory. Allied with Pitt, I needed four to win. All he did was
                  >bring on troops who were eliminated each turn shortly after arriving on
                  >Arrakis. His Guild troops will forever be remembered as suicide fish.

                  Seems to me that those Guild kamikazes were brought in when and where my
                  erstwhile Harkonnen ally kept advising. Had I only followed my own
                  instincts and landed them in the Polar Cap for a few turns, the Guild
                  forces would have been something to reckon with. In any case, if only the
                  Baron's babies, bankrolled by the Guild, had managed to win a few of their
                  non-gimme battles, we would have won anyway. Also, as a rule of thumb,
                  it's probably best not engage in 4 battles in 4 different strongholds in
                  the same turn - especially when you only have one leader...

                  -Pitt
                • AlanRMoon@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 1, 2001
                    In a message dated 10/1/01 3:35:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time, pittc@...
                    writes:

                    <<
                    Seems to me that those Guild kamikazes were brought in when and where my
                    erstwhile Harkonnen ally kept advising. Had I only followed my own
                    instincts and landed them in the Polar Cap for a few turns, the Guild
                    forces would have been something to reckon with. In any case, if only the
                    Baron's babies, bankrolled by the Guild, had managed to win a few of their
                    non-gimme battles, we would have won anyway. Also, as a rule of thumb,
                    it's probably best not engage in 4 battles in 4 different strongholds in
                    the same turn - especially when you only have one leader...

                    >>Says the man who was urging me to do just this.
                  • Mark Edwards
                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 1, 2001
                      The Quivering Messiah wrote:

                      > Pitt Crandlemire wrote:
                      > > Because it's just a bit too long for what it is. If you want a
                      > "wargamey"
                      > > German-style game, you're better off with any number of older AH
                      > titles,
                      > > like Dune, Britannia, etc.
                      >
                      > Agreed, but don't count out recent games like Vinci and Empires of
                      > the
                      > Ancient World.

                      I'll third that and throw in Serenissma.

                      As for the AH games, there are a lot of them that should come out
                      more often. A few AH games I'd like to try or play again soon are
                      Kremlin, Guerilla, Breakout Normandy, Hannibal: Rome vs Carthage,
                      Republic of Rome, Storm Over Arnhem and Wooden Ships & Iron Men.

                      Speaking of AH, anyone know anything about Showbiz and TV Wars?
                      Ratings seem mixed at best on BGG.

                      Mark

                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 1, 2001
                        Craig Massey <cwmassey@...> wrote:

                        >10. El Grande -

                        One of my favorites. It needs to be played often enough that
                        everyone is familiar with the cards or else the downtime as each
                        one is read and "digested" can be a bit much for me.

                        >8. Tycoon - I'm appreciating this game more and more.

                        I really want to play this. I know I've seen a copy at Mark's.
                        Maybe I can get him to show it to me next Tuesday at GSG?!?

                        >6. Adel Verplichet - another old game.

                        Agreed. But I have yet to play a game of this and not make some
                        sort of silly mistake in placing out the wrong card. But I've
                        finished 2nd in most games so even with the blunders I'm holding
                        up.

                        >3. Tichu -

                        Played 2 or 3 times and it wasn't a game I really enjoyed and I'd
                        be happy not to play again. But it's gut a HUGE following -
                        especially among some UGers. I'm not a huge fan of trick-taking
                        games anyway (but do enjoy Hearts and the few times I played
                        Spades I did enjoy it).

                        >1. Britannia - Another old game takes the top spot.

                        I think this is best with 4. I played this recently and while it
                        was enjoyable, it was a little long for the enjoyment I derived.
                        But I think I'd definitely play it again - as would Campbell who
                        was there both times I played and he seemed to rather enjoy it.
                        Again, this benefits from people that know the system - the first
                        game was a bit painful getting up to speed. The 2nd game was
                        much better.

                        Nice post Craig!

                        dber@...
                      • Mark Edwards
                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 1, 2001
                          Dave Bernazzani wrote:

                          > >8. Tycoon - I'm appreciating this game more and more.
                          >
                          > I really want to play this. I know I've seen a copy at Mark's.
                          > Maybe I can get him to show it to me next Tuesday at GSG?!?

                          I do indeed have Tycoon. It would fit into my recent financial
                          games mood. I may just force you to retry Shark though. Heheheh.

                          > >1. Britannia - Another old game takes the top spot.
                          >
                          > I think this is best with 4. I played this recently and while it
                          > was enjoyable, it was a little long for the enjoyment I derived.
                          > But I think I'd definitely play it again - as would Campbell who
                          > was there both times I played and he seemed to rather enjoy it.
                          > Again, this benefits from people that know the system - the first
                          > game was a bit painful getting up to speed. The 2nd game was
                          > much better.

                          I played this once at a Total Confusion convention with then
                          stranger Michael Tsuk and a couple of other guys. It was quite a long
                          game, but we all had a good time. I wouldn't want to play this with
                          anyone that was too analytical though. I'm thinking that Campbell, Dave
                          B and Joe M would be my opponents of choice. You know, guys who use the
                          Force more often than not. ;-) My first shot of the day, and despite
                          the crowd chanting Walter's name he wasn't even caught in the rain of
                          debris.

                          Mark

                        • Patrick O'Brien
                          Message 12 of 16 , Oct 1, 2001
                            Craig Massey wrote:
                            > I'm so bummed that I missed this one. So did 5 hour
                            > dune scare anyone off another game in the near future?
                            >
                            > =====
                            > Craig W. Massey
                            > cwmassey@y...

                            > http://phone.yahoo.com

                            count me in, Craig, i'd be up for a game of this at future
                            gatherings, for sure.

                            patrick
                          • Craig Massey
                            Message 13 of 16 , Oct 2, 2001
                              --- Patrick O'Brien <jonnypolite@...> wrote:
                              > count me in, Craig, i'd be up for a game of this at
                              > future
                              > gatherings, for sure.
                              >
                              > patrick

                              Last year Die Macher - this year Dune. Sounds great
                              to me.

                              Craig

                              =====
                              Craig W. Massey