Latest Top 10

  • Craig Massey
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 1, 2001
      End of the month and quarter so it's time for my
      latest top 10 games. I've been updating this list
      monthly to reflect what has been hitting the table and
      what has been currently catching my eye. Still a lot
      of old games on the list (only one from this year).
      I'm betting this changes significantly in Oct/Nov with
      the crush of new Essen releases.

      10. El Grande - got to play again over the weekend and
      had a great time. Why doesn't this game get played
      more often? In my all time top 10.

      9. Auf Falscher Farte - one of the few newer games
      I've been playing recently. I've only tried it with
      3, but it was very enjoyable and quick. Looking
      forward to hearing Andrew's thoughts when he gets to
      play this since he is a fan of weird trick taking
      games.

      8. Tycoon - I'm appreciating this game more and more.
      I'm also losing to Bob SH every time I play. Again,
      if you haven't tried this Kramer game, you should.

      7. Mystery Rummy #2 - This has appeared on the
      monthly top 10 a lot. If you like Wyatt Earp, try
      this.

      6. Adel Verplichet - another old game.

      5. Taboo - Catch Phrase may be getting more play, but
      this game beats it hands down. Watch Alan play when
      he is giving clues. His face gets all read and he
      talks in a very high pitched/agitated voice.

      4. Zopp - I'd rather play this 2 player than
      crokinole. Position in this game is everything.

      3. Tichu - I final got to play Tichu - very
      enjoyable. Best card game in the rolling trick taking
      genre (Great Dalmuti, Gang of Four - which I like a
      lot, Frank's Zoo - anyone play this with partners?)

      2. Taj Mahal - my favorite game from last year.
      Another game I wish was played more.

      1. Britannia - Another old game takes the top spot.
      The 3 hours spent playing this with Pitt, Mike and
      Alan were the most entertaining hours spent gaming in
      the last month.

      =====
      Craig W. Massey
      cwmassey@...

      http://phone.yahoo.com
    • Pitt Crandlemire
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 1, 2001
        At 10:26 AM 10/1/01 -0700, Craig Massey wrote:

        >10. El Grande - got to play again over the weekend and
        >had a great time. Why doesn't this game get played
        >more often?

        Because it's just a bit too long for what it is. If you want a "wargamey"
        German-style game, you're better off with any number of older AH titles,
        like Dune, Britannia, etc.

        >3. Tichu - I final got to play Tichu - very
        >enjoyable. Best card game in the rolling trick taking
        >genre

        I'd even rather play this than Spades at the moment.

        >Frank's Zoo - anyone play this with partners?)

        Is there any other way?

        >2. Taj Mahal - my favorite game from last year.
        >Another game I wish was played more.

        I still like it (even though it's yet another from the Knizia "design one
        really good game and then republish it in 97 weak variations" school).
        However, once or twice a year is enough for me, as it's fairly limited in
        successful strategy options.

        >1. Britannia - Another old game takes the top spot.
        >The 3 hours spent playing this with Pitt, Mike and
        >Alan were the most entertaining hours spent gaming in
        >the last month.

        Agreed, though the 5 hours Alan, Mike, David, Bass, and I spent playing
        Dune come very close.

        -Pitt
      • The Quivering Messiah
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 1, 2001
          Pitt Crandlemire wrote:
          > Craig Massey wrote:
          > >10. El Grande - got to play again over the weekend and
          > >had a great time. Why doesn't this game get played
          > >more often?
          >
          > Because it's just a bit too long for what it is. If you want a "wargamey"
          > German-style game, you're better off with any number of older AH titles,
          > like Dune, Britannia, etc.

          Agreed, but don't count out recent games like Vinci and Empires of the
          Ancient World.

          - Ben Peal
          fudjo@...
        • Craig Massey
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 1, 2001
            --- Pitt Crandlemire <pittc@...> wrote:
            > At 10:26 AM 10/1/01 -0700, Craig Massey wrote:
            > >
            > >10. El Grande - got to play again over the weekend
            > and
            > >had a great time. Why doesn't this game get played
            > >more often?
            >
            > Because it's just a bit too long for what it is. If
            > you want a "wargamey"
            > German-style game, you're better off with any number
            > of older AH titles,
            > like Dune, Britannia, etc.

            I'm not sure if I would put it in the same category as
            Dune, Britannia etc. Or even Vinci or EotAW. And as
            far as it being long, it is a 90 minute game tops.
            Any longer and you are absolutely right, it becomes
            too long for what you get.

            > >1. Britannia - Another old game takes the top spot.
            >
            > >The 3 hours spent playing this with Pitt, Mike and
            > >Alan were the most entertaining hours spent gaming
            > in
            > >the last month.
            >
            > Agreed, though the 5 hours Alan, Mike, David, Bass,
            > and I spent playing
            > Dune come very close.

            I'm so bummed that I missed this one. So did 5 hour
            dune scare anyone off another game in the near future?

            =====
            Craig W. Massey
            cwmassey@...

            http://phone.yahoo.com
          • AlanRMoon@aol.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 1, 2001
              In a message dated 10/1/01 2:36:38 PM Eastern Daylight Time, pittc@...
              writes:

              <<
              3. Tichu - I final got to play Tichu - very enjoyable. Best card game in
              the rolling trick taking genre.

              I'd even rather play this than Spades at the moment.

              it has a huge luck factor. You can get bad hands, and when you get a few of
              them in a row, the game is not much fun. On the other hand, it is almost
              impossible to get a bad hand in SPADES because even bad hands when bid
              correctly garner positive results. SPADES is easily still the ultimate trick
              taking card game. I'd put MUE or HEARTS second and third.

              1. Britannia - Another old game takes the top spot. The 3 hours spent playing
              this with Pitt, Mike and Alan were the most entertaining hours spent gaming
              in the last month.

              Agreed, though the 5 hours Alan, Mike, David, Bass, and I spent playing
              Dune come very close.

              >>I don't usually like to play games that take more than an hour, but I
              really enjoyed reliving the old days with these two. I played 50-100 games of
              DUNE back in the 70s/80s, and I also played a whole bunch of BRITANNIA when
              that was first out. Both are terrific games that get better as the players
              play more. If you get in a DUNE game with Pitt though, I adivse you not to
              ally with him. He was nothing but dead weight in our alliance. I held 3
              strongholds throughout our alliance which would have been enough to win if I
              in a sole victory. Allied with Pitt, I needed four to win. All he did was
              bring on troops who were eliminated each turn shortly after arriving on
              Arrakis. His Guild troops will forever be remembered as suicide fish.

              Alan
            • Craig Massey
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 1, 2001
                --- AlanRMoon@... wrote:
                > many ways a brilliant game,
                > it has a huge luck factor. You can get bad hands,
                > and when you get a few of
                > them in a row, the game is not much fun. On the
                > other hand, it is almost
                > impossible to get a bad hand in SPADES because even
                > bad hands when bid
                > correctly garner positive results. SPADES is easily
                > still the ultimate trick
                > taking card game. I'd put MUE or HEARTS second and
                > third.

                Case in point - Alan acting as total dead weight in a
                game with me verses Pitt and Dave. That was a total
                series of bad hands.

                I don't know about Spades as the ultimate trick taking
                game though. It's probably 5th or 6th on my list.

                =====
                Craig W. Massey
                cwmassey@...

                http://phone.yahoo.com
              • David Rapp
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 1, 2001
                  > bring on troops who were eliminated each turn shortly after arriving on
                  > Arrakis. His Guild troops will forever be remembered as suicide fish.

                  Well, the victory went to those who deserved it. Me and Schloth. As the
                  Emperor, I allied (read: used) with the Fremen peasants to acquire
                  sietches, and then allied with the Atreides. After all, I know who wins
                  out in the end. It's my weirding way.

                • Matthew Horn
                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 1, 2001
                    I would put whist ahead of TICHU, SPADES, HEARTS and any other trick taking
                    game you can throw at me. Hell, I'm so confident, I didn't even capitalize
                    it. TICHU deserves some more plays before I can really say I like it, but
                    what little I saw, I dug.

                    > many ways a brilliant game,
                    > it has a huge luck factor. You can get bad hands,
                    > and when you get a few of
                    > them in a row, the game is not much fun. On the
                    > other hand, it is almost
                    > impossible to get a bad hand in SPADES because even
                    > bad hands when bid
                    > correctly garner positive results. SPADES is easily
                    > still the ultimate trick
                    > taking card game. I'd put MUE or HEARTS second and
                    > third.

                    Case in point - Alan acting as total dead weight in a
                    game with me verses Pitt and Dave. That was a total
                    series of bad hands.

                    I don't know about Spades as the ultimate trick taking
                    game though. It's probably 5th or 6th on my list.

                    =====
                    Craig W. Massey
                    cwmassey@...

                    http://phone.yahoo.com <http://phone.yahoo.com>

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=194081.1637497.3177299.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17050528
                    96:HM/A=795262/R=0/*http://www.ediets.com/start.cfm?code=3257> Click Here!

                    <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=194081.1637497.3177299.1261774/D=egroupmai
                    l/S=1705052896:HM/A=795262/rand=451788528>

                    UNITY GAMES III is Nov 10, 2001! http://www.gis.net/~dber/ug3/ug3.htm
                    <http://www.gis.net/~dber/ug3/ug3.htm>

                    <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
                  • Constantine von Hoffman
                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 1, 2001
                      At 03:08 PM 10/1/01 -0400, Alan wrote:
                      His Guild troops will forever be remembered as suicide fish.

                      I have never played Dune--although it sounds like i would like it--and i
                      have no idea what this sentence means, but i love the imagery.

                      here's to more poetry on the list!

                      Constantine

                      "It rains on the just and the unjust, but why does it rain on me?"
                      --Charlie Brown

                    • Pitt Crandlemire
                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 1, 2001
                        At 03:08 PM 10/1/01 EDT, AlanRMoon@... wrote:
                        >In a message dated 10/1/01 2:36:38 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                        pittc@...
                        >writes:
                        >
                        ><<
                        > 3. Tichu - I final got to play Tichu - very enjoyable. Best card game in
                        >the rolling trick taking genre.
                        >
                        > I'd even rather play this than Spades at the moment.

                        >it has a huge luck factor. You can get bad hands, and when you get a few of
                        >them in a row, the game is not much fun. On the other hand, it is almost
                        >impossible to get a bad hand in SPADES because even bad hands when bid
                        >correctly garner positive results. SPADES is easily still the ultimate trick
                        >taking card game. I'd put MUE or HEARTS second and third.

                        I agree with Alan. Tichu, like any other game that is weighted toward
                        strong cards only, is not completely balanced. Having said that, the
                        variety of possible combinations (pairs, set of pairs, straights, triples,
                        high cards) goes a long way to minimizing this. A long straight of low
                        cards is very effective if you can ever get on lead. Further, I find that
                        it is possible, more often than not, to effectively shape your hand through
                        the pass. Most of the time, I've been able to turn a bad hand into at
                        least a mediocre hand by anticipating my opponents' passes to me based on
                        the cards I'm holding and then passing accordingly. It's always sweet to
                        get a 2s or 3s bomb because the opponents passed you the card(s) you needed.

                        >1. Britannia - Another old game takes the top spot. The 3 hours spent
                        playing
                        >this with Pitt, Mike and Alan were the most entertaining hours spent gaming
                        >in the last month.
                        >
                        > Agreed, though the 5 hours Alan, Mike, David, Bass, and I spent playing
                        > Dune come very close.
                        >
                        >>>I don't usually like to play games that take more than an hour, but I
                        >really enjoyed reliving the old days with these two. I played 50-100 games
                        of
                        >DUNE back in the 70s/80s, and I also played a whole bunch of BRITANNIA when
                        >that was first out. Both are terrific games that get better as the players
                        >play more. If you get in a DUNE game with Pitt though, I adivse you not to
                        >ally with him. He was nothing but dead weight in our alliance. I held 3
                        >strongholds throughout our alliance which would have been enough to win if I
                        >in a sole victory. Allied with Pitt, I needed four to win. All he did was
                        >bring on troops who were eliminated each turn shortly after arriving on
                        >Arrakis. His Guild troops will forever be remembered as suicide fish.

                        Seems to me that those Guild kamikazes were brought in when and where my
                        erstwhile Harkonnen ally kept advising. Had I only followed my own
                        instincts and landed them in the Polar Cap for a few turns, the Guild
                        forces would have been something to reckon with. In any case, if only the
                        Baron's babies, bankrolled by the Guild, had managed to win a few of their
                        non-gimme battles, we would have won anyway. Also, as a rule of thumb,
                        it's probably best not engage in 4 battles in 4 different strongholds in
                        the same turn - especially when you only have one leader...

                        -Pitt
                      • AlanRMoon@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 1, 2001
                          In a message dated 10/1/01 3:35:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time, pittc@...
                          writes:

                          <<
                          Seems to me that those Guild kamikazes were brought in when and where my
                          erstwhile Harkonnen ally kept advising. Had I only followed my own
                          instincts and landed them in the Polar Cap for a few turns, the Guild
                          forces would have been something to reckon with. In any case, if only the
                          Baron's babies, bankrolled by the Guild, had managed to win a few of their
                          non-gimme battles, we would have won anyway. Also, as a rule of thumb,
                          it's probably best not engage in 4 battles in 4 different strongholds in
                          the same turn - especially when you only have one leader...

                          >>Says the man who was urging me to do just this.
                        • Mark Edwards
                          Message 12 of 16 , Oct 1, 2001
                            The Quivering Messiah wrote:

                            > Pitt Crandlemire wrote:
                            > > Because it's just a bit too long for what it is. If you want a
                            > "wargamey"
                            > > German-style game, you're better off with any number of older AH
                            > titles,
                            > > like Dune, Britannia, etc.
                            >
                            > Agreed, but don't count out recent games like Vinci and Empires of
                            > the
                            > Ancient World.

                            I'll third that and throw in Serenissma.

                            As for the AH games, there are a lot of them that should come out
                            more often. A few AH games I'd like to try or play again soon are
                            Kremlin, Guerilla, Breakout Normandy, Hannibal: Rome vs Carthage,
                            Republic of Rome, Storm Over Arnhem and Wooden Ships & Iron Men.

                            Speaking of AH, anyone know anything about Showbiz and TV Wars?
                            Ratings seem mixed at best on BGG.

                            Mark

                            Message 13 of 16 , Oct 1, 2001
                              Craig Massey <cwmassey@...> wrote:

                              >10. El Grande -

                              One of my favorites. It needs to be played often enough that
                              everyone is familiar with the cards or else the downtime as each
                              one is read and "digested" can be a bit much for me.

                              >8. Tycoon - I'm appreciating this game more and more.

                              I really want to play this. I know I've seen a copy at Mark's.
                              Maybe I can get him to show it to me next Tuesday at GSG?!?

                              >6. Adel Verplichet - another old game.

                              Agreed. But I have yet to play a game of this and not make some
                              sort of silly mistake in placing out the wrong card. But I've
                              finished 2nd in most games so even with the blunders I'm holding
                              up.

                              >3. Tichu -

                              Played 2 or 3 times and it wasn't a game I really enjoyed and I'd
                              be happy not to play again. But it's gut a HUGE following -
                              especially among some UGers. I'm not a huge fan of trick-taking
                              games anyway (but do enjoy Hearts and the few times I played
                              Spades I did enjoy it).

                              >1. Britannia - Another old game takes the top spot.

                              I think this is best with 4. I played this recently and while it
                              was enjoyable, it was a little long for the enjoyment I derived.
                              But I think I'd definitely play it again - as would Campbell who
                              was there both times I played and he seemed to rather enjoy it.
                              Again, this benefits from people that know the system - the first
                              game was a bit painful getting up to speed. The 2nd game was
                              much better.

                              Nice post Craig!

                              dber@...
                            • Mark Edwards
                              Message 14 of 16 , Oct 1, 2001
                                Dave Bernazzani wrote:

                                > >8. Tycoon - I'm appreciating this game more and more.
                                >
                                > I really want to play this. I know I've seen a copy at Mark's.
                                > Maybe I can get him to show it to me next Tuesday at GSG?!?

                                I do indeed have Tycoon. It would fit into my recent financial
                                games mood. I may just force you to retry Shark though. Heheheh.

                                > >1. Britannia - Another old game takes the top spot.
                                >
                                > I think this is best with 4. I played this recently and while it
                                > was enjoyable, it was a little long for the enjoyment I derived.
                                > But I think I'd definitely play it again - as would Campbell who
                                > was there both times I played and he seemed to rather enjoy it.
                                > Again, this benefits from people that know the system - the first
                                > game was a bit painful getting up to speed. The 2nd game was
                                > much better.

                                I played this once at a Total Confusion convention with then
                                stranger Michael Tsuk and a couple of other guys. It was quite a long
                                game, but we all had a good time. I wouldn't want to play this with
                                anyone that was too analytical though. I'm thinking that Campbell, Dave
                                B and Joe M would be my opponents of choice. You know, guys who use the
                                Force more often than not. ;-) My first shot of the day, and despite
                                the crowd chanting Walter's name he wasn't even caught in the rain of
                                debris.

                                Mark

                              • Patrick O'Brien
                                Message 15 of 16 , Oct 1, 2001
                                  Craig Massey wrote:
                                  > I'm so bummed that I missed this one. So did 5 hour
                                  > dune scare anyone off another game in the near future?
                                  >
                                  > =====
                                  > Craig W. Massey
                                  > cwmassey@y...

                                  > http://phone.yahoo.com

                                  count me in, Craig, i'd be up for a game of this at future
                                  gatherings, for sure.

                                  patrick
                                • Craig Massey
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Oct 2, 2001
                                    --- Patrick O'Brien <jonnypolite@...> wrote:
                                    > count me in, Craig, i'd be up for a game of this at
                                    > future
                                    > gatherings, for sure.
                                    >
                                    > patrick

                                    Last year Die Macher - this year Dune. Sounds great
                                    to me.

                                    Craig

                                    =====
                                    Craig W. Massey