Weekend Gaming - Billabong, Capitol, El Grande

  • Craig Massey
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2001
      Comments from weekend games.

      Billabong - Richard, Dan C. Andrew & Craig: First playing of the one
      race game I think Andrew really likes. I enjoyed it though I bet this
      game can really drag with the over analyzers among us. Andrew got off
      to an early lead while Richard lagged behind. Dan Cashmore definitely
      whined the most about his position which means that he was a likely
      canidate to win. Sure enough, with Andrew just a few moves away from
      getting his lastd "camel" across the finish line, Dan positioned his
      final two "camels" and took the victory. I use the word camel as
      Andrew steadfastly refused to call them kangaroos despite the fact
      that camels don't jump. By the end of the game he had everyone
      calling the 'roos camels - even Alison who wasn't even playing. I
      enjoyed the game and despite its high abstractness, I'm looking
      forward to playing again.

      Capitol - Ryan, Richard, Dan C., Craig - We traded Andrew for Ryan
      (don't know who got the better end of the deal) to play Capitol. I
      explained the rules to the other three and we got started. Richard
      had a big first turn and it all went downhill for him. I only scored
      4 points in turn one, but got control of the amphitheater though I
      don't think this ultimately made the difference in the game. I ended
      scoring big points in turns two and three and held on in turn four.
      The other three had lukewarm reactions to Capitol overall. It isn't
      my favorite of the '01 Alan/Aaron releases, but I like it enough that
      it will hit the table on a semi regular basis.

      El Grande - Dave R., Matt H., Dan C., Richard and Craig: I'm not sure
      I've played a game with a group that had the potential to trash talk,
      make smart ass comments and generally give the other players a really
      hard time as much as this group. The only other "smart ass" gamers
      missing were Alan and Mark.

      Anyway, Dan C. got off to a huge lead with Dave close behind after the
      first scoring round. After the 2nd round the picture remained much
      the same with Matthew, Richard and I looking to be out of the running.
      Then Richard made his move and on the last round moved past the
      leaders to take a narrow win with 99 points over Dan and Dave. It
      ended being a close finish with less than 10 point separating all of
      us but Matt. And the group held true to form making obnoxious
      comments and remarks the whole time. I'm sure things were much more
      civil at the other tables, but we had a great time.

      Craig
    • Richard Spoonts
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2001
        --- Craig Massey <cwmassey@...> wrote:
        > El Grande - Dave R., Matt H., Dan C., Richard and
        > Craig: I'm not sure
        > I've played a game with a group that had the
        > potential to trash talk,
        > make smart ass comments and generally give the other
        > players a really
        > hard time as much as this group. The only other
        > "smart ass" gamers
        > missing were Alan and Mark.

        What a hoot this game was! The high--or low--point
        occurred when Rapp put his newly found penis in the
        Castillo. And that's all I'm saying...

        Richard

        http://phone.yahoo.com
      • David Rapp
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 1, 2001
          > What a hoot this game was! The high--or low--point
          > occurred when Rapp put his newly found penis in the
          > Castillo. And that's all I'm saying...

          Yum yum. Did you notice how the caballeros were holding it aloft when we
          lifted the Castillo? Unleashed, triumphant, these are the words that come
          to mind. El Grande indeed!

        • AlanRMoon@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 1, 2001

            <<