Weekend Games

  • Craig Massey
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 24, 2001
      A few comments on games this weekend.

      Played two games this weekend - yes only two.

      Quandary - Thanks to Mark for keeping his eye open for
      a copy of this. Andrew, Richard, Jake and I played
      this as an opener. Richard ended up squeaking out the
      win by a point despite the fact that he couldn't tell
      the difference in color between the off white and
      orange tiles. This is a great filler and deserves the
      title as the most over produced game around when
      compared to the German version - Flinke Plinke.

      Britannia - Alan was able to scare up enough interest
      in Britannia so once Pitt showed up, Alan, Mike S.,
      Pitt and myself sat down to determine the fate of
      Britain.

      Alan had Romans and the other purple tribes. Pitt has
      the blue (Picts, Angles), Mike had the red tribes
      (Irish, Saxons and the very tuneful Brigantes) and I
      had the green (Welsh, Jutes, Danes etc.)

      This game proved that it having a good time while
      playing a game is really more about those sitting at
      the table than the game itself. It was my first
      playing of Britannia and plenty of my die rolls and
      decisions were poor leaving me in last place for a
      good chunk of the game, but I had a great time. The
      game was peppered with smart ass comments, plenty of
      jokes and singing. Mike who played the brigantes
      turned them into some sort of von trapp family
      breaking into tune during their turn.

      Anyway, the game lasted 3.5 hours give or take, but it
      didn't feel like it. I'm of the camp that I would
      rather play short games, but here was a perfect
      example of a long game and one where I was the butt
      end of the dog for the game, but had an absolutely
      great time.

      Mike ended up mopping up with the Saxons and was a
      runaway leader (his signing must have distracted us).
      Regardless, it was a hoot and served as a great
      reminder that ultimately it isn't about the game.

      =====
      Craig W. Massey
      cwmassey@...