SR: South Shore Gamers - Sept 8, 2001 - 2 Year Anniversary!

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 8, 2001
      A fine turnout for the official SSG 2 year anniversary (actually
      it's still 2 weeks away, but SSG is on hiatus for a few weeks so
      the next SSG will start year 3!).

      We had 23 people tonight which is great - a few "regulars"
      couldn't make it due to circumstances but we had a nice mix of
      familiar gamers and some new people down. All totaled, in the
      last year of SSG alone we've had close to 80 different people
      attend. That's an incredible number.

      I'd like to say a bit of thanks to those that made it down
      tonight. But more importantly, I'd like to thank everyone that
      has ever made an SSG session. People seem to give me somewhat
      misdirected credit for the SSG - but it has always been the great
      people that are willing to make time for gaming on a regular
      basis that keeps it all working. Biggest thanks are to those
      that come on a semi-regular basis but really I'm happy to see
      folks whenever they show up. It's been difficult trying to find
      a comfortable open game place that is central to the region for
      Saturday gaming and although nothing is perfect, the hall and
      group have worked out pretty well this year. Whatever happens in
      year 3, I'd say year 2 was a success.

      I personally had a great time tonight - I spent most of my time
      in relaxing social games or just milling about the room chatting.
      It's nice to game and sometimes even nicer to just chat with
      friends in the normal course of the evening. Although I can't
      game with everyone each week I've come to enjoy the banter and
      camaraderie at the SSG.

      And thanks again to Richard who collected.

      We had cupcakes, cookies and pretzels on hand and there were
      pictures taken but not by me so I'll have to hope someone uploads
      them!

      Roll Call: Dave B, Jenn, Dave R, Emily, Alan, Craig, Richard,
      Rob E, Karl, Constantine, Bob S, Brian, Mark E, Mark T, Susan,
      David H, Alison H, Scott, Bill, Terry, Dan, Carrie

      GAMES PLAYED: Seafarers of Catan, Taj Mahal, Tikal, Catch Phrase
      x2, Crokinole x8, 25000 Pyramid x2, Drunter & Druber, Adel
      Verpflichtet x2, Showmanager, Compatibility, Electronic Taboo,
      Carcassonne, Vampire and others I'm sure I missed...

      Notes on games I played:

      ADEL VERPFLICHTET - My record is in tact! My 4th game of Adel
      with a screw up. I seem to always put out the wrong type of card
      somewhere during the game. But my brain was tired and yet I
      still managed to recover somewhat and lead most of the game only
      to fall into 2nd place when Craig took the win. A fun game - and
      I enjoy it but I've got to concentrate more!

      CATCHPHRASE - the electronic version. Got played twice and was
      still quite fun. Not as boisterous as last week but still
      enjoyable and well worth the purchase price. Great for 6 or more
      - we had 8 and turns seemed to fly by nicely.

      CROKINOLE - Lots of action again tonight. Mostly 4 player action
      although a few "learning" rounds with 2 players. Mark (old hand
      at Crokinole from his days in Canada) and his girlfriend Susan
      got to play with Rob and I. Team Dave/Susan came up just short
      as it was a close match until the final round when team Mark/Rob
      sank a boatload of 20's. Enjoyable. Mark commented on how fast
      my board seemed - he had to calibrate on the fly as the board he
      was used to was much, much older.

      25000 PYRAMID - Still a blast. This was the new version sold in
      local toy stores with the "Game Show Network" logo on the front.
      We had been playing the older editions. This proved to be very
      fun - the only problem I saw with the new set was the cards were
      a little thin and in the right light you can almost see the
      answers on the back from the front. But it was a minor problem.
      Everyone seemed to enjoy this. Team Mark/Dave beat team
      Rob/Susan by a convincing margin.

      COMPATIBILITY - The big hit of the night for me. Dave R. had a
      copy and he seems to be on a mission for finding and bringing fun
      games (most recently big hits he has brought to the SSG included
      Catchphrase and Electronic Taboo). This was a blast - we had 6
      players in 3 teams of 2 players. Alan and Dave were paired up.
      Jenn and Emily. Susan and I. The object is to roll a die, turn
      up a card and read the word on that card corresponding to the die
      roll. You have like 50 cards with various pictures like a crowd
      of people, a rose, children playing or sometimes just words like
      "happiness" or a color like black or red. You need to choose the
      5 cards that you think best represent that word - and your
      partner does the same (with their identical set of cards that
      each player has). For example, the word on the card rolled might
      be "tears" and you could choose the card with all black as it
      might represent a funeral. Or another picture of a sad looking
      woman statue, etc. You order these in preference from 1 to 5 (in
      later rounds you might have less card depending on where you are
      on the scoring track). Each exact placement match is worth 3. A
      non direct match is worth 1. The game has doubler cards to roll
      up big scores on matches. Compatibility was a blast right from
      the first round - we laughed at some of the hilarious choices of
      cards and were amazed when people both thought along the same
      "strange" lines and matched up their cards perfectly. Definitely
      a must-find game for those that like light party type stuff to
      fill in between heavier games. I take it the game was sold
      fairly widely at local game stores a few years back but has
      largely disappeared and so it might take some finding...

      TABOO - The electronic version. Is starting to wear a little
      thin - I still like Catchphrase better for a light party "word"
      game and will certainly be looking to play Compatibility again
      soon. But it was still fun - and we've gotten quite a bit of use
      from it in a short time.

      That's it!! No SSG for the next 3 weeks.

      dber@...
    • Craig Massey
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 10, 2001
        --- Dave Bernazzani <dber@...> wrote:
        > ADEL VERPFLICHTET - My record is in tact! My 4th
        > game of Adel
        > with a screw up. I seem to always put out the wrong
        > type of card
        > somewhere during the game. But my brain was tired
        > and yet I
        > still managed to recover somewhat and lead most of
        > the game only
        > to fall into 2nd place when Craig took the win. A
        > fun game - and
        > I enjoy it but I've got to concentrate more!

        Funny you mentioned concentrating more. I tried not
        to concentrate terribly hard because every time I play
        this game I always seem to outguess myself and make
        little progress around the board. The best was
        watchin Emily trying to free one of her theives only
        to lose it the very next turn after she got it back.

        Other games I played....

        Taj Mahal - Alison, Richard, Matthew, Craig: Richard
        was interested in learning this and we had no problem
        convincing Alison to play or Matthew for that matter.
        We gave Richard the low down on some basic strategy
        and got started. He developed a nice network of
        palaces while Alison and I worked on the commodities
        with the elephant strategy. For awhile I thought
        Richard might get a strong enough network to win, but
        he ran himself low on cards in the final rounds and
        stalled out in the 40 point range with Alison. Going
        into the final round, Matthew and I had a large amount
        of cards and Matthew challenged for everything in the
        12 region. This was great for me since he was
        trailing in last place by quite a bit so I bailed,
        keeping a large suit for 13 points and the win.

        Tikal - Matthew, Richard, Scott H. Craig: Matthew
        agreed to play if we played quick. Turned out he
        needed the most prodding throughout the game. We
        decided on the auction version and Matthew immediately
        spent himself into last place with a strategy that
        none of us could quite follow. I capped the 10 point
        temple early and then spent the rest of the game
        getting in Richard's way and fighting him for first
        place. Unfortunately, despite the fact that we though
        Matthew knew not what he was doing, he came back
        strong on the finally scoring round to win by 7 points
        113 - 106 over me. He quietly placed tiles so that
        they were hard for others to get to and controlled a
        ton of mid sized temples. I paid too much attention
        to Richard and misplaced a temple tile that Matthew
        ended up controlling in the end - DOH! An excellent
        game with everyone in it until the end. And unlike
        the last game of Tikal I played noone was lapped on
        the scoreboard (ask Walter about this one ;-) )

        Vampire - Scott, Matthew, Richard, Craig: This is a
        much maligned Knizia game. The graphics stink and
        make it a difficult game to play for that reason
        alone. But, I think that beyond that, it is an
        interesting card game that plays much better than its
        reputation. The idea is you are collecting vampire
        heads in 6 different suits. On your turn you can draw
        2 cards and either discard a card to the appropriate
        discard stack (one for each suit) or you can meld a
        suit. Meld must have at least three cards. If you
        choose not to draw, you can pick up the discard stack
        for any suit and then you must meld. A round ends
        when the deck is depleted or one player melds all six
        suits. At this point you check each suit for the
        lowest scoring meld. That meld is discarded (melds of
        zero count) and players score whatever reminaing
        melds. Scott crushed us in two hands scoring over 50
        points with the rest of us failing to break 40.
        Another hand would have only made it worse so we
        stopped short of the suggested three hands.

        =====
        Craig W. Massey
        cwmassey@...

        http://im.yahoo.com