Princes of Florence

  • Andy Latto
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 4, 2001
      Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2001 20:53:50 EDT
      From: AndAgainMA@...
      Subject: Re: SR: Diplomacy Mini-Monster (VERY LONG)

      As for Campbell's PoF comparison, I think that Princes is massively more
      unforgiving of a single error than is Diplomacy. Make an error in Diplomacy,
      and you can often use it to convince a potential ally that you're not a
      threat to them.* Make a mistake in PoF and you're pretty much out of it,
      given the level of Florentian experience that abounds at UG sessions these
      days.

      I think of Princes of Florence as like a road race that is run on the
      edge of a cliff. If you are much faster than your opponents (if you
      are much more experienced at the game than they are, and expect to get
      some undeserved bargains when other players bid way too low or way too
      high in the auctions), then you can stay well away from the cliffs and
      still expect to win. But if the other runners are about as fast as you
      are (other experienced players), then the way to gain a few precious
      seconds in the race is to cut the corner as close to the edge of the
      cliff as possible. Of course, sometimes, when you do this, you fall
      off the edge! A friend recently described an entertaining game of PoF
      he had played recently where he had done nothing spectacular, ended
      with a mediocre score (low fifties, I think), but won, because all four
      other players had "fallen off the cliff" at some point during the
      game.

      For me, at least, it's key to my enjoyment of this game to realize that
      I'm playing to maximize my chances to win, not to maximize my score.
      The goal is to try to win as often as I can, a bit more than my fair share
      if possible. If the result is that when I don't win, I trail by 20 points
      in dead last, that's fine, that's just part of the cost I pay for my
      wins. And it's entertaining to find a new cliff to fall off each time
      you play; there are so many different pitfalls in this game!

      Having said that, I rarely make a single error in a game of Princes...

      Neither do I, with the emphasis on *single*! If/when I make an error,
      I try to make a comeback, so I usually make at least one further error
      whle trying to recover.

      Andy