Re: [Unity_Games] Weekend Gaming

  • AlanRMoon@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 4, 2001
      In a message dated 9/4/01 11:08:41 AM Eastern Daylight Time, dber@...
      writes:

      <<
      I think Alan was hinting that he thought the Trade Federation (bad guys)
      would have a hard time winning. I read something last night from Rob @
      Avalon Hill Games that said that in several hundred games played, the Trade
      Federation wins something like 55 or 60% of the time (claming the rebel
      players should be a little "desperate"!).

      >>No, I think the Dark Side will win the majorities of times. Might even have
      to modify the rules to make it easier for Annakin to get his Starfighter
      through. Of course, a lot depends on the outcome of the Jedi Battle too.
    • AndAgainMA@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 1, 2001
        Richard reports:
        >Rapp put his newly found penis in the Castillo

        Whose Castillo was it?

        I was in the other room, playing some game called San Marco. I suppose that you could say that the three of us were doing it Doge-style.

        Andrew.

        ps I was going to ask Craig if he was happy with the response to his call for a more lively UG group this month... but I think I already know the answer.
      • AlanRMoon@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 1, 2001
          In a message dated 10/1/01 3:50:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
          AndAgainMA@... writes:

          <<
          Whose Castillo was it?

          I was in the other room, playing some game called San Marco. I suppose that
          you could say that the three of us were doing it Doge-style.

          >>Let me quote Sherlock Holmes again: "I confess that it is not the situation
          which I should like to see a sister of mine apply for."
        • Craig Massey
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 1, 2001
            --- AndAgainMA@... wrote:

            > ps I was going to ask Craig if he was happy with the
            > response to his call for a more lively UG group this
            > month... but I think I already know the answer.

            The usual suspects are doing a fine job today. I'm
            just waiting for Matthew to chime in with some stats
            (is there a large enough sample for a phallic
            reference stat) and Jonathan to post about Knizia.

            =====
            Craig W. Massey
            cwmassey@...

            http://phone.yahoo.com
          • Matthew Gray
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 22, 2001
              I played a total of 17 games this weekend, bringing my 2001 total up
              to 500.

              Games played: Loopin' Louie x 3, Zirkus Flohcati x 2, 6 nimmt!, Adel
              Verpflichtet, Apples to Apples, Compatibility, Drunter & Druber,
              Elements, Gossip, Igel Argern, Lost Cities, Monsterjagd, San Marco,
              Speed

              On Saturday, I only managed to make it for the evening part of Bob day
              with my friend Roxanne. First, we played San Marco, which
              surprisingly enough I had never played before. I like the mechanic,
              and the game was interesting but the swings in control seemed
              excessive, substantially due to banishments. Mark took the win. Then
              we played Drunter & Druber, a game I had played for the first time
              with Bob some time ago. Despite my attempts to not give away which
              buildings were mine, and to dead end the water and road which I had
              relatively few tiles of, my buildings got crushed, Roxanne started
              conspicuously defending Orange, which caused them to go down and Bob
              walked away with the win. We wrapped up with a game of Igel Argern
              with the "Doping Variant", which causes the first hedgehog across the
              finish line to be disqualified. I set Bob up to be that hedgehog and
              he proceeded to roll the one number that allowed him to make me that
              hedgehog. After a tense endgame, Bob managed to get three of his
              hedgehogs in.

              Upon realizing that yesterday was the last day of Essen and there were
              still a few games I had picked up at last years Essen that I hadn't
              played yet, an effort was made to play those. First to arrive were
              Brian Tivol and Richard Davis. Brian had tried it once before and not
              been too impressed, but was interested in trying it again. It didn't
              suck. It's a cute bidding/bluffing game. Worth the Adlung price.
              One down.

              Next, I realized Richard had to play Loopin' Louie, so we played a few
              rounds of that waiting for anyone else to show up. Luke showed up,
              played a game of Loopin' Louie, and we decided to try another
              remaining game from last years Essen.

              We pulled out Monsterjagd, a children's memory/speed game. Definitely
              a children's game, but fun all the same. Fun enough that we thought
              about playing another game, but decided to move on to something new,
              since Christine had arrived in the meantime.

              We settled on Gossip, another game from last years Essen, but this
              time one that had been played for only part of a game before. Last
              time we tried it, Dave Rapp didn't want to learn the rules, and then
              once we were playing, didn't really enjoy it because he didn't know
              the rules. The gossip spread fast and Brian rapidly gained one of the
              best reputations, with Luke floundering in unpopularity. Finally, in
              the end, I managed to snatch the victory from Brian with a luckily
              timed set of good gossip about myself.

              Powering through my remaining Essen games, we grabbed Zirkus Flohcati,
              which was surprisingly light and fun. I'm not sure I see a lot of
              strategy, and I almost wonder if we got the rules right, but it was
              fun enough, we played twice.

              The only remaining unplayed games from last years Essen were
              Lowendynastie, Roads & Boats, and Haps. We decided to move on to more
              familiar games.

              Adel Verpflichtet was next. I think Adel Verp is better with 5 than
              4, but it's still pretty good. I tried the one strategy I've ever won
              with, which is holding off on going to the Palace very much to buy a
              lot of antiques, and then making a mad dash to win, ignoring theives.
              Unfortunately, it was too little too late, and Brian won.

              Then, Chris and Roxanne arrived, and we played a round of Apples to
              Apples with the new (#2) expansion set. This puts this game in my 20+
              list. Definitely one of the best party games around.

              As seems to be the rule with this group, there was a call for 6
              nimmt!, and everyone had played before except Luke. Overall an
              impressively close game with Chris winning with 40 points.

              Finally, we wrapped up with a game of Compatibility, in which we found
              out that Luke and I aren't too compatible, though we made a
              substantial improvement by the end of the game, and Chris and Brian
              just barely beat out Roxanne and Christine.

              After everyone left, Carrie and I played a game of Lost Cities, in
              which each of us had a "big" round of 60+ points, and in the final
              round Carrie edged me out by 4 points.

              Realizing that this was my 499th game of the year, we played a quick
              game of Speed to make it an even 500. I won.

              ...Matthew
            • Craig Massey
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 22, 2001
                --- In Unity_Games@y..., Matthew Gray <matthew@g...> wrote:

                > On Saturday, I only managed to make it for the evening part of Bob
                day
                > with my friend Roxanne. First, we played San Marco, which
                > surprisingly enough I had never played before. I like the mechanic,
                > and the game was interesting but the swings in control seemed
                > excessive, substantially due to banishments. Mark took the win.

                Jumping into San Marco defense mode. The excessive swings in control
                seems to be cited often as a bit of a bug in this game. I don't
                really agree with this in general. If you play for the banishment
                cards you are just as likely to roll a low number as you are to roll a
                high number. You often see the banishment cards put with high limit
                point making the risk/reward hard to value. I think you can avoid
                playing for the banishment cards and spread your control markers
                around the board to help avoid the potential big swings.

                > Upon realizing that yesterday was the last day of Essen and there
                were
                > still a few games I had picked up at last years Essen that I hadn't
                > played yet, an effort was made to play those. First to arrive were
                > Brian Tivol and Richard Davis. Brian had tried it once before and
                not
                > been too impressed, but was interested in trying it again. It
                didn't
                > suck. It's a cute bidding/bluffing game. Worth the Adlung price.
                > One down.

                Which game are you referring to here Matthew?
              • Matthew Gray
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 22, 2001
                  > I think you can avoid
                  > playing for the banishment cards and spread your control markers
                  > around the board to help avoid the potential big swings.

                  I suppose, but I'm not convinced. Mark, who won, had a total of 4
                  cubes on the board, and was behind by many points going into the final
                  round. He wone by a substantial margin. Everyone being in it until
                  the end is one thing, but this was a bit extreme. I still enjoyed the
                  game though.

                  > > Brian Tivol and Richard Davis. Brian had tried it once before and not
                  > > been too impressed, but was interested in trying it again. It didn't
                  > > suck. It's a cute bidding/bluffing game. Worth the Adlung price.
                  > > One down.
                  >
                  > Which game are you referring to here Matthew?

                  Er, "Elements".

                  I continue to be rather impressed with Adlung. In both the grownup
                  and children's category they have some very good games:

                  RATING GAMES
                  A Verrater, Meuterer, Speed, Shit!, Bambuti, Im Marchenwald
                  B Take Off, Elements, Ebbe & Flut, Monsterjagd, Titus
                  C Pisa, Dschungel, Geruchte Kuche
                  D Maskenball

                  where Pisa might be a B- instead of a C+ and Titus might be a C+
                  instead of a B-. Maskenball might be better with the right crowd...

                  ...Matthew
                • Craig Massey
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 22, 2001
                    --- Matthew Gray <matthew@...> wrote:
                    > I suppose, but I'm not convinced. Mark, who won,
                    > had a total of 4
                    > cubes on the board, and was behind by many points
                    > going into the final
                    > round. He wone by a substantial margin. Everyone
                    > being in it until
                    > the end is one thing, but this was a bit extreme. I
                    > still enjoyed the
                    > game though.

                    Give it another try. The game seems to be designed to
                    be close, but I don't think the banishment is anywhere
                    near as powerful as many think. Play this a few more
                    times.

                    > RATING GAMES
                    > A Verrater, Meuterer, Speed, Shit!, Bambuti,
                    > Im Marchenwald
                    > B Take Off, Elements, Ebbe & Flut,
                    > Monsterjagd, Titus
                    > C Pisa, Dschungel, Geruchte Kuche
                    > D Maskenball
                    >
                    > where Pisa might be a B- instead of a C+ and Titus
                    > might be a C+
                    > instead of a B-. Maskenball might be better with
                    > the right crowd...

                    I'd put Pisa in the B+ category. I'll add
                    Lowendynastie to the B as well. Titus didn't impress
                    me and only gets a C.

                    Alan seems to be plugging one of their new Essen games
                    Vol Kap Dis Kairo.

                    Craig

                    =====
                    Craig W. Massey
                    cwmassey@...

                    http://personals.yahoo.com
                  • AndAgainMA@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 22, 2001
                      If the banishment swings from d6 rolls are your problem with San Marco, you can try to fix that as follows: use a d4 if you think that mean number of cubes is too high, or pretend the d6 has sides 2, 3, 3, 4, 4, 5 if you think that the variance is too high.

                      Andrew.