Re: [Unity_Games] Weekend Gaming

  • AndAgainMA@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 4, 2001
      Craig writes of...
      >David and Alison who seem to win all the time. But, I have now figured out the key to beating them - make them hold babies.<

      Not so long ago, Ben and Stef they were talismans (or talisboys, or talisbabies) of victory. Has their effect changed so dramatically? Has someone bought them red socks?

      But in fact, David won the day's first game of Viva Pamplona with his range of dice-rolling motion restricted by a little Hansel.

      Andrew.
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 4, 2001
        Craig wrote:

        > Star Wars - Queen's Gambit:

        This weekend I got my first play of SW-QG. Dave R taught me this game and I
        thought it was a blast. I did really poorly as my Jedi were wiped out
        quickly although I fared a bit better on the Naboo battlefield and in the
        palace. In the end, Dave cleaned my saber pretty good. I love the fact
        that they call 2 standard 6-sided dice "Anakin Dice"! But it was fun - I
        look forward to playing again soon.

        I think Alan was hinting that he thought the Trade Federation (bad guys)
        would have a hard time winning. I read something last night from Rob @
        Avalon Hill Games that said that in several hundred games played, the Trade
        Federation wins something like 55 or 60% of the time (claming the rebel
        players should be a little "desperate"!).

        > Viva Pamplona - Alan, Mark, Jenn, Dave B. Craig:

        This was my 2nd playing of Viva Pamplona (with almost 2 years separating the
        two plays!). It was good - and I think the theme fits well of staying close
        and just-ahead of the bulls as possible to achieve the big scores. Not
        great fare, but a decent game.

        What, no mention of my single round domination of Volltreffer?

        dber@...
      • Craig Massey
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 4, 2001
          --- Dave Bernazzani <dber@...> wrote:
          > Craig wrote:
          >
          > > Star Wars - Queen's Gambit:
          >
          > This weekend I got my first play of SW-QG. Dave R
          > taught me this game and I
          > thought it was a blast. I did really poorly as my
          > Jedi were wiped out
          > quickly although I fared a bit better on the Naboo
          > battlefield and in the
          > palace. In the end, Dave cleaned my saber pretty
          > good. I love the fact
          > that they call 2 standard 6-sided dice "Anakin
          > Dice"! But it was fun - I
          > look forward to playing again soon.
          >
          > I think Alan was hinting that he thought the Trade
          > Federation (bad guys)
          > would have a hard time winning.

          Actually, we were talking about how hard it is for
          Anakin to get through. I'm in agreement that it is
          easier for the trade federation to win.

          > What, no mention of my single round domination of
          > Volltreffer?

          Well I didn't want to point out the fact that Alan was
          the one who really screwed that game up, but Dave did
          win the first game of Volltreffer on the very first
          hand thanks to Alan failing to draft a single 10 card
          right in front of Dave, giving Dave all five 10s.

          We followed up with a second game of Volltreffer.
          This time it took two hands before I won.

          Craig

          =====
          Craig W. Massey
          cwmassey@...
        • AlanRMoon@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 4, 2001
            In a message dated 9/4/01 11:08:41 AM Eastern Daylight Time, dber@...
            writes:

            <<
            I think Alan was hinting that he thought the Trade Federation (bad guys)
            would have a hard time winning. I read something last night from Rob @
            Avalon Hill Games that said that in several hundred games played, the Trade
            Federation wins something like 55 or 60% of the time (claming the rebel
            players should be a little "desperate"!).

            >>No, I think the Dark Side will win the majorities of times. Might even have
            to modify the rules to make it easier for Annakin to get his Starfighter
            through. Of course, a lot depends on the outcome of the Jedi Battle too.
          • AndAgainMA@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 1, 2001
              Richard reports:
              >Rapp put his newly found penis in the Castillo

              Whose Castillo was it?

              I was in the other room, playing some game called San Marco. I suppose that you could say that the three of us were doing it Doge-style.

              Andrew.

              ps I was going to ask Craig if he was happy with the response to his call for a more lively UG group this month... but I think I already know the answer.
            • AlanRMoon@aol.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 1, 2001
                In a message dated 10/1/01 3:50:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                AndAgainMA@... writes:

                <<
                Whose Castillo was it?

                I was in the other room, playing some game called San Marco. I suppose that
                you could say that the three of us were doing it Doge-style.

                >>Let me quote Sherlock Holmes again: "I confess that it is not the situation
                which I should like to see a sister of mine apply for."
              • Craig Massey
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 1, 2001
                  --- AndAgainMA@... wrote:

                  > ps I was going to ask Craig if he was happy with the
                  > response to his call for a more lively UG group this
                  > month... but I think I already know the answer.

                  The usual suspects are doing a fine job today. I'm
                  just waiting for Matthew to chime in with some stats
                  (is there a large enough sample for a phallic
                  reference stat) and Jonathan to post about Knizia.

                  =====
                  Craig W. Massey
                  cwmassey@...

                  http://phone.yahoo.com
                • Matthew Gray
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 22, 2001
                    I played a total of 17 games this weekend, bringing my 2001 total up
                    to 500.

                    Games played: Loopin' Louie x 3, Zirkus Flohcati x 2, 6 nimmt!, Adel
                    Verpflichtet, Apples to Apples, Compatibility, Drunter & Druber,
                    Elements, Gossip, Igel Argern, Lost Cities, Monsterjagd, San Marco,
                    Speed

                    On Saturday, I only managed to make it for the evening part of Bob day
                    with my friend Roxanne. First, we played San Marco, which
                    surprisingly enough I had never played before. I like the mechanic,
                    and the game was interesting but the swings in control seemed
                    excessive, substantially due to banishments. Mark took the win. Then
                    we played Drunter & Druber, a game I had played for the first time
                    with Bob some time ago. Despite my attempts to not give away which
                    buildings were mine, and to dead end the water and road which I had
                    relatively few tiles of, my buildings got crushed, Roxanne started
                    conspicuously defending Orange, which caused them to go down and Bob
                    walked away with the win. We wrapped up with a game of Igel Argern
                    with the "Doping Variant", which causes the first hedgehog across the
                    finish line to be disqualified. I set Bob up to be that hedgehog and
                    he proceeded to roll the one number that allowed him to make me that
                    hedgehog. After a tense endgame, Bob managed to get three of his
                    hedgehogs in.

                    Upon realizing that yesterday was the last day of Essen and there were
                    still a few games I had picked up at last years Essen that I hadn't
                    played yet, an effort was made to play those. First to arrive were
                    Brian Tivol and Richard Davis. Brian had tried it once before and not
                    been too impressed, but was interested in trying it again. It didn't
                    suck. It's a cute bidding/bluffing game. Worth the Adlung price.
                    One down.

                    Next, I realized Richard had to play Loopin' Louie, so we played a few
                    rounds of that waiting for anyone else to show up. Luke showed up,
                    played a game of Loopin' Louie, and we decided to try another
                    remaining game from last years Essen.

                    We pulled out Monsterjagd, a children's memory/speed game. Definitely
                    a children's game, but fun all the same. Fun enough that we thought
                    about playing another game, but decided to move on to something new,
                    since Christine had arrived in the meantime.

                    We settled on Gossip, another game from last years Essen, but this
                    time one that had been played for only part of a game before. Last
                    time we tried it, Dave Rapp didn't want to learn the rules, and then
                    once we were playing, didn't really enjoy it because he didn't know
                    the rules. The gossip spread fast and Brian rapidly gained one of the
                    best reputations, with Luke floundering in unpopularity. Finally, in
                    the end, I managed to snatch the victory from Brian with a luckily
                    timed set of good gossip about myself.

                    Powering through my remaining Essen games, we grabbed Zirkus Flohcati,
                    which was surprisingly light and fun. I'm not sure I see a lot of
                    strategy, and I almost wonder if we got the rules right, but it was
                    fun enough, we played twice.

                    The only remaining unplayed games from last years Essen were
                    Lowendynastie, Roads & Boats, and Haps. We decided to move on to more
                    familiar games.

                    Adel Verpflichtet was next. I think Adel Verp is better with 5 than
                    4, but it's still pretty good. I tried the one strategy I've ever won
                    with, which is holding off on going to the Palace very much to buy a
                    lot of antiques, and then making a mad dash to win, ignoring theives.
                    Unfortunately, it was too little too late, and Brian won.

                    Then, Chris and Roxanne arrived, and we played a round of Apples to
                    Apples with the new (#2) expansion set. This puts this game in my 20+
                    list. Definitely one of the best party games around.

                    As seems to be the rule with this group, there was a call for 6
                    nimmt!, and everyone had played before except Luke. Overall an
                    impressively close game with Chris winning with 40 points.

                    Finally, we wrapped up with a game of Compatibility, in which we found
                    out that Luke and I aren't too compatible, though we made a
                    substantial improvement by the end of the game, and Chris and Brian
                    just barely beat out Roxanne and Christine.

                    After everyone left, Carrie and I played a game of Lost Cities, in
                    which each of us had a "big" round of 60+ points, and in the final
                    round Carrie edged me out by 4 points.

                    Realizing that this was my 499th game of the year, we played a quick
                    game of Speed to make it an even 500. I won.

                    ...Matthew
                  • Craig Massey
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 22, 2001
                      --- In Unity_Games@y..., Matthew Gray <matthew@g...> wrote:

                      > On Saturday, I only managed to make it for the evening part of Bob
                      day
                      > with my friend Roxanne. First, we played San Marco, which
                      > surprisingly enough I had never played before. I like the mechanic,
                      > and the game was interesting but the swings in control seemed
                      > excessive, substantially due to banishments. Mark took the win.

                      Jumping into San Marco defense mode. The excessive swings in control
                      seems to be cited often as a bit of a bug in this game. I don't
                      really agree with this in general. If you play for the banishment
                      cards you are just as likely to roll a low number as you are to roll a
                      high number. You often see the banishment cards put with high limit
                      point making the risk/reward hard to value. I think you can avoid
                      playing for the banishment cards and spread your control markers
                      around the board to help avoid the potential big swings.

                      > Upon realizing that yesterday was the last day of Essen and there
                      were
                      > still a few games I had picked up at last years Essen that I hadn't
                      > played yet, an effort was made to play those. First to arrive were
                      > Brian Tivol and Richard Davis. Brian had tried it once before and
                      not
                      > been too impressed, but was interested in trying it again. It
                      didn't
                      > suck. It's a cute bidding/bluffing game. Worth the Adlung price.
                      > One down.

                      Which game are you referring to here Matthew?
                    • Matthew Gray
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 22, 2001
                        > I think you can avoid
                        > playing for the banishment cards and spread your control markers
                        > around the board to help avoid the potential big swings.

                        I suppose, but I'm not convinced. Mark, who won, had a total of 4
                        cubes on the board, and was behind by many points going into the final
                        round. He wone by a substantial margin. Everyone being in it until
                        the end is one thing, but this was a bit extreme. I still enjoyed the
                        game though.

                        > > Brian Tivol and Richard Davis. Brian had tried it once before and not
                        > > been too impressed, but was interested in trying it again. It didn't
                        > > suck. It's a cute bidding/bluffing game. Worth the Adlung price.
                        > > One down.
                        >
                        > Which game are you referring to here Matthew?

                        Er, "Elements".

                        I continue to be rather impressed with Adlung. In both the grownup
                        and children's category they have some very good games:

                        RATING GAMES
                        A Verrater, Meuterer, Speed, Shit!, Bambuti, Im Marchenwald
                        B Take Off, Elements, Ebbe & Flut, Monsterjagd, Titus
                        C Pisa, Dschungel, Geruchte Kuche
                        D Maskenball

                        where Pisa might be a B- instead of a C+ and Titus might be a C+
                        instead of a B-. Maskenball might be better with the right crowd...

                        ...Matthew
                      • Craig Massey
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 22, 2001
                          --- Matthew Gray <matthew@...> wrote:
                          > I suppose, but I'm not convinced. Mark, who won,
                          > had a total of 4
                          > cubes on the board, and was behind by many points
                          > going into the final
                          > round. He wone by a substantial margin. Everyone
                          > being in it until
                          > the end is one thing, but this was a bit extreme. I
                          > still enjoyed the
                          > game though.

                          Give it another try. The game seems to be designed to
                          be close, but I don't think the banishment is anywhere
                          near as powerful as many think. Play this a few more
                          times.

                          > RATING GAMES
                          > A Verrater, Meuterer, Speed, Shit!, Bambuti,
                          > Im Marchenwald
                          > B Take Off, Elements, Ebbe & Flut,
                          > Monsterjagd, Titus
                          > C Pisa, Dschungel, Geruchte Kuche
                          > D Maskenball
                          >
                          > where Pisa might be a B- instead of a C+ and Titus
                          > might be a C+
                          > instead of a B-. Maskenball might be better with
                          > the right crowd...

                          I'd put Pisa in the B+ category. I'll add
                          Lowendynastie to the B as well. Titus didn't impress
                          me and only gets a C.

                          Alan seems to be plugging one of their new Essen games
                          Vol Kap Dis Kairo.

                          Craig

                          =====
                          Craig W. Massey
                          cwmassey@...

                          http://personals.yahoo.com
                        • AndAgainMA@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 22, 2001
                            If the banishment swings from d6 rolls are your problem with San Marco, you can try to fix that as follows: use a d4 if you think that mean number of cubes is too high, or pretend the d6 has sides 2, 3, 3, 4, 4, 5 if you think that the variance is too high.

                            Andrew.