Weekend Gaming

  • Craig Massey
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 4, 2001
      Some comments on various games played over the
      weekend.

      Star Wars - Queen's Gambit: I've now played this game
      three times in the last week. Unfortnately, I've lost
      all three and worse than that, each loss has come
      against Mr. Moon (head hung in shame!). For those of
      you who haven't tried the game, I highly recommend it.
      I don't find it to be terribly deep, but the
      decisions that you have to make on what board/battle
      to concentrate on are interesting and most importantly
      the game is fun - even when you are losing.

      Union Pacific - Richard, Dave R., Alison, David: UP is
      one of those games that I enjoy playing, but I never
      win, especially with David and Alison who seem to win
      all the time. But, I have now figured out the key to
      beating them - make them hold babies. I worked as I
      edged out Dave R. by a couple of bucks and Alison and
      David brought up the rear. Richard just whined a lot.

      Viva Pamplona - Alan, Mark, Jenn, Dave B. Craig: I
      played this game once back in Jan/Feb and was crushed
      as the bull ran past my guys and rushed into the
      stadium leaving me with negative points. Remembering
      that lesson, I tried to stay well ahead of the the
      bull, eschewing points scored during the game in favor
      for points at the end. So what did the bull do,
      plodded along like Ferdinand the Bull sniffing flowers
      scoring leaving me with nothing. I think Mark edged
      Alan out for the win.

      Terra Turrium - Richard, Jake, Craig: This is an old
      Kramer game. The game is played on a grid (15x15?).
      Each player owns a quadrant. The grid is covered with
      tiles (same pieces as found in Big Boss) that can
      stack. Each player has six flags with the object of
      the game being players must place each of their flags
      on the board - one at each level 1 - 6. The board
      starts out all at level one with a center section
      built up to level to. On a players turn, he pull
      three tiles/blocks off the board and uses them to
      build up the board. He then can place an move flags,
      starting from the edge of the board with 5 action
      points. Each square moved with a flag costs one
      action point. The game was highly abstract a la
      Torres, but it was interesting. Thought it didn't
      really feel like Torres in its play, it did have the
      3-d aspect coupled with action points so it seems to
      be an obvious progenitor of Torres. Jake ended up
      winning with a very impressive move after about 4 or 5
      turns.

      =====
      Craig W. Massey
      cwmassey@...

      http://im.yahoo.com
    • AndAgainMA@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 4, 2001
        Craig writes of...
        >David and Alison who seem to win all the time. But, I have now figured out the key to beating them - make them hold babies.<

        Not so long ago, Ben and Stef they were talismans (or talisboys, or talisbabies) of victory. Has their effect changed so dramatically? Has someone bought them red socks?

        But in fact, David won the day's first game of Viva Pamplona with his range of dice-rolling motion restricted by a little Hansel.

        Andrew.
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 4, 2001
          Craig wrote:

          > Star Wars - Queen's Gambit:

          This weekend I got my first play of SW-QG. Dave R taught me this game and I
          thought it was a blast. I did really poorly as my Jedi were wiped out
          quickly although I fared a bit better on the Naboo battlefield and in the
          palace. In the end, Dave cleaned my saber pretty good. I love the fact
          that they call 2 standard 6-sided dice "Anakin Dice"! But it was fun - I
          look forward to playing again soon.

          I think Alan was hinting that he thought the Trade Federation (bad guys)
          would have a hard time winning. I read something last night from Rob @
          Avalon Hill Games that said that in several hundred games played, the Trade
          Federation wins something like 55 or 60% of the time (claming the rebel
          players should be a little "desperate"!).

          > Viva Pamplona - Alan, Mark, Jenn, Dave B. Craig:

          This was my 2nd playing of Viva Pamplona (with almost 2 years separating the
          two plays!). It was good - and I think the theme fits well of staying close
          and just-ahead of the bulls as possible to achieve the big scores. Not
          great fare, but a decent game.

          What, no mention of my single round domination of Volltreffer?

          dber@...
        • Craig Massey
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 4, 2001
            --- Dave Bernazzani <dber@...> wrote:
            > Craig wrote:
            >
            > > Star Wars - Queen's Gambit:
            >
            > This weekend I got my first play of SW-QG. Dave R
            > taught me this game and I
            > thought it was a blast. I did really poorly as my
            > Jedi were wiped out
            > quickly although I fared a bit better on the Naboo
            > battlefield and in the
            > palace. In the end, Dave cleaned my saber pretty
            > good. I love the fact
            > that they call 2 standard 6-sided dice "Anakin
            > Dice"! But it was fun - I
            > look forward to playing again soon.
            >
            > I think Alan was hinting that he thought the Trade
            > Federation (bad guys)
            > would have a hard time winning.

            Actually, we were talking about how hard it is for
            Anakin to get through. I'm in agreement that it is
            easier for the trade federation to win.

            > What, no mention of my single round domination of
            > Volltreffer?

            Well I didn't want to point out the fact that Alan was
            the one who really screwed that game up, but Dave did
            win the first game of Volltreffer on the very first
            hand thanks to Alan failing to draft a single 10 card
            right in front of Dave, giving Dave all five 10s.

            We followed up with a second game of Volltreffer.
            This time it took two hands before I won.

            Craig

            =====
            Craig W. Massey
            cwmassey@...
          • AlanRMoon@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 4, 2001
              In a message dated 9/4/01 11:08:41 AM Eastern Daylight Time, dber@...
              writes:

              <<
              I think Alan was hinting that he thought the Trade Federation (bad guys)
              would have a hard time winning. I read something last night from Rob @
              Avalon Hill Games that said that in several hundred games played, the Trade
              Federation wins something like 55 or 60% of the time (claming the rebel
              players should be a little "desperate"!).

              >>No, I think the Dark Side will win the majorities of times. Might even have
              to modify the rules to make it easier for Annakin to get his Starfighter
              through. Of course, a lot depends on the outcome of the Jedi Battle too.
            • AndAgainMA@aol.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 1, 2001
                Richard reports:
                >Rapp put his newly found penis in the Castillo

                Whose Castillo was it?

                I was in the other room, playing some game called San Marco. I suppose that you could say that the three of us were doing it Doge-style.

                Andrew.

                ps I was going to ask Craig if he was happy with the response to his call for a more lively UG group this month... but I think I already know the answer.
              • AlanRMoon@aol.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 1, 2001
                  In a message dated 10/1/01 3:50:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                  AndAgainMA@... writes:

                  <<
                  Whose Castillo was it?

                  I was in the other room, playing some game called San Marco. I suppose that
                  you could say that the three of us were doing it Doge-style.

                  >>Let me quote Sherlock Holmes again: "I confess that it is not the situation
                  which I should like to see a sister of mine apply for."
                • Craig Massey
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 1, 2001
                    --- AndAgainMA@... wrote:

                    > ps I was going to ask Craig if he was happy with the
                    > response to his call for a more lively UG group this
                    > month... but I think I already know the answer.

                    The usual suspects are doing a fine job today. I'm
                    just waiting for Matthew to chime in with some stats
                    (is there a large enough sample for a phallic
                    reference stat) and Jonathan to post about Knizia.

                    =====
                    Craig W. Massey
                    cwmassey@...

                    http://phone.yahoo.com
                  • Matthew Gray
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 22, 2001
                      I played a total of 17 games this weekend, bringing my 2001 total up
                      to 500.

                      Games played: Loopin' Louie x 3, Zirkus Flohcati x 2, 6 nimmt!, Adel
                      Verpflichtet, Apples to Apples, Compatibility, Drunter & Druber,
                      Elements, Gossip, Igel Argern, Lost Cities, Monsterjagd, San Marco,
                      Speed

                      On Saturday, I only managed to make it for the evening part of Bob day
                      with my friend Roxanne. First, we played San Marco, which
                      surprisingly enough I had never played before. I like the mechanic,
                      and the game was interesting but the swings in control seemed
                      excessive, substantially due to banishments. Mark took the win. Then
                      we played Drunter & Druber, a game I had played for the first time
                      with Bob some time ago. Despite my attempts to not give away which
                      buildings were mine, and to dead end the water and road which I had
                      relatively few tiles of, my buildings got crushed, Roxanne started
                      conspicuously defending Orange, which caused them to go down and Bob
                      walked away with the win. We wrapped up with a game of Igel Argern
                      with the "Doping Variant", which causes the first hedgehog across the
                      finish line to be disqualified. I set Bob up to be that hedgehog and
                      he proceeded to roll the one number that allowed him to make me that
                      hedgehog. After a tense endgame, Bob managed to get three of his
                      hedgehogs in.

                      Upon realizing that yesterday was the last day of Essen and there were
                      still a few games I had picked up at last years Essen that I hadn't
                      played yet, an effort was made to play those. First to arrive were
                      Brian Tivol and Richard Davis. Brian had tried it once before and not
                      been too impressed, but was interested in trying it again. It didn't
                      suck. It's a cute bidding/bluffing game. Worth the Adlung price.
                      One down.

                      Next, I realized Richard had to play Loopin' Louie, so we played a few
                      rounds of that waiting for anyone else to show up. Luke showed up,
                      played a game of Loopin' Louie, and we decided to try another
                      remaining game from last years Essen.

                      We pulled out Monsterjagd, a children's memory/speed game. Definitely
                      a children's game, but fun all the same. Fun enough that we thought
                      about playing another game, but decided to move on to something new,
                      since Christine had arrived in the meantime.

                      We settled on Gossip, another game from last years Essen, but this
                      time one that had been played for only part of a game before. Last
                      time we tried it, Dave Rapp didn't want to learn the rules, and then
                      once we were playing, didn't really enjoy it because he didn't know
                      the rules. The gossip spread fast and Brian rapidly gained one of the
                      best reputations, with Luke floundering in unpopularity. Finally, in
                      the end, I managed to snatch the victory from Brian with a luckily
                      timed set of good gossip about myself.

                      Powering through my remaining Essen games, we grabbed Zirkus Flohcati,
                      which was surprisingly light and fun. I'm not sure I see a lot of
                      strategy, and I almost wonder if we got the rules right, but it was
                      fun enough, we played twice.

                      The only remaining unplayed games from last years Essen were
                      Lowendynastie, Roads & Boats, and Haps. We decided to move on to more
                      familiar games.

                      Adel Verpflichtet was next. I think Adel Verp is better with 5 than
                      4, but it's still pretty good. I tried the one strategy I've ever won
                      with, which is holding off on going to the Palace very much to buy a
                      lot of antiques, and then making a mad dash to win, ignoring theives.
                      Unfortunately, it was too little too late, and Brian won.

                      Then, Chris and Roxanne arrived, and we played a round of Apples to
                      Apples with the new (#2) expansion set. This puts this game in my 20+
                      list. Definitely one of the best party games around.

                      As seems to be the rule with this group, there was a call for 6
                      nimmt!, and everyone had played before except Luke. Overall an
                      impressively close game with Chris winning with 40 points.

                      Finally, we wrapped up with a game of Compatibility, in which we found
                      out that Luke and I aren't too compatible, though we made a
                      substantial improvement by the end of the game, and Chris and Brian
                      just barely beat out Roxanne and Christine.

                      After everyone left, Carrie and I played a game of Lost Cities, in
                      which each of us had a "big" round of 60+ points, and in the final
                      round Carrie edged me out by 4 points.

                      Realizing that this was my 499th game of the year, we played a quick
                      game of Speed to make it an even 500. I won.

                      ...Matthew
                    • Craig Massey
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 22, 2001
                        --- In Unity_Games@y..., Matthew Gray <matthew@g...> wrote:

                        > On Saturday, I only managed to make it for the evening part of Bob
                        day
                        > with my friend Roxanne. First, we played San Marco, which
                        > surprisingly enough I had never played before. I like the mechanic,
                        > and the game was interesting but the swings in control seemed
                        > excessive, substantially due to banishments. Mark took the win.

                        Jumping into San Marco defense mode. The excessive swings in control
                        seems to be cited often as a bit of a bug in this game. I don't
                        really agree with this in general. If you play for the banishment
                        cards you are just as likely to roll a low number as you are to roll a
                        high number. You often see the banishment cards put with high limit
                        point making the risk/reward hard to value. I think you can avoid
                        playing for the banishment cards and spread your control markers
                        around the board to help avoid the potential big swings.

                        > Upon realizing that yesterday was the last day of Essen and there
                        were
                        > still a few games I had picked up at last years Essen that I hadn't
                        > played yet, an effort was made to play those. First to arrive were
                        > Brian Tivol and Richard Davis. Brian had tried it once before and
                        not
                        > been too impressed, but was interested in trying it again. It
                        didn't
                        > suck. It's a cute bidding/bluffing game. Worth the Adlung price.
                        > One down.

                        Which game are you referring to here Matthew?
                      • Matthew Gray
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 22, 2001
                          > I think you can avoid
                          > playing for the banishment cards and spread your control markers
                          > around the board to help avoid the potential big swings.

                          I suppose, but I'm not convinced. Mark, who won, had a total of 4
                          cubes on the board, and was behind by many points going into the final
                          round. He wone by a substantial margin. Everyone being in it until
                          the end is one thing, but this was a bit extreme. I still enjoyed the
                          game though.

                          > > Brian Tivol and Richard Davis. Brian had tried it once before and not
                          > > been too impressed, but was interested in trying it again. It didn't
                          > > suck. It's a cute bidding/bluffing game. Worth the Adlung price.
                          > > One down.
                          >
                          > Which game are you referring to here Matthew?

                          Er, "Elements".

                          I continue to be rather impressed with Adlung. In both the grownup
                          and children's category they have some very good games:

                          RATING GAMES
                          A Verrater, Meuterer, Speed, Shit!, Bambuti, Im Marchenwald
                          B Take Off, Elements, Ebbe & Flut, Monsterjagd, Titus
                          C Pisa, Dschungel, Geruchte Kuche
                          D Maskenball

                          where Pisa might be a B- instead of a C+ and Titus might be a C+
                          instead of a B-. Maskenball might be better with the right crowd...

                          ...Matthew
                        • Craig Massey
                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 22, 2001
                            --- Matthew Gray <matthew@...> wrote:
                            > I suppose, but I'm not convinced. Mark, who won,
                            > had a total of 4
                            > cubes on the board, and was behind by many points
                            > going into the final
                            > round. He wone by a substantial margin. Everyone
                            > being in it until
                            > the end is one thing, but this was a bit extreme. I
                            > still enjoyed the
                            > game though.

                            Give it another try. The game seems to be designed to
                            be close, but I don't think the banishment is anywhere
                            near as powerful as many think. Play this a few more
                            times.

                            > RATING GAMES
                            > A Verrater, Meuterer, Speed, Shit!, Bambuti,
                            > Im Marchenwald
                            > B Take Off, Elements, Ebbe & Flut,
                            > Monsterjagd, Titus
                            > C Pisa, Dschungel, Geruchte Kuche
                            > D Maskenball
                            >
                            > where Pisa might be a B- instead of a C+ and Titus
                            > might be a C+
                            > instead of a B-. Maskenball might be better with
                            > the right crowd...

                            I'd put Pisa in the B+ category. I'll add
                            Lowendynastie to the B as well. Titus didn't impress
                            me and only gets a C.

                            Alan seems to be plugging one of their new Essen games
                            Vol Kap Dis Kairo.

                            Craig

                            =====
                            Craig W. Massey
                            cwmassey@...

                            http://personals.yahoo.com
                          • AndAgainMA@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 13 , Oct 22, 2001
                              If the banishment swings from d6 rolls are your problem with San Marco, you can try to fix that as follows: use a d4 if you think that mean number of cubes is too high, or pretend the d6 has sides 2, 3, 3, 4, 4, 5 if you think that the variance is too high.

                              Andrew.