Labor Day Gaming @ Constantine's (and an invite)

  • Constantine von Hoffman
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 3, 2001
      A fine mini-monster game day of Diplomacy at the House of Maison de La Casa
      von Hoffman in Brighton. In addition to myself and a flock of ducks,
      Campbell, Matt H., Karl and Adam all made the trek to Brighton. Only Adam
      and I had ever played the game before and Adam, whom none of us had gamed
      with before, did a great job explaining the rules to all. In 5 person Dip.
      no one plays either Italy or Germany, which gave me as France a huge
      advantage at the beginning. Karl as England quickly scooped up the Norse
      countries, while I cruised the Mediterranean. Adam as Austro-Hungary
      gobbled up the Balkans, while Comrade Matt plunged into little old
      defenseless Germany and Campbell did a fine job of finding out exactly
      where the borders of Turkey were. There was much bargaining and some
      double-crossing but in the end the game boiled down to Karl, myself and
      Adam. Thanks to a fine rear-guard action by Campbell I was able to carve up
      Adam in the Balkans, while Karl feasted on Mother Russia. The game was
      called after 6 hours with me leading Karl either 13 to 11 or 12 to 10--i
      can't remember.

      Karl then had to leave so we all taught Adam (surprise, surprise) Settlers.
      Matt romped in that one by like 10 to 6 or 7.

      We're going to have another mini-monster in October--either Sunday the 7th
      or the Sunday the 14th, depending on what works out for the most people.
      Looks like we'll be playing Adv. Civ. Please let me know if you'd like to
      attend.

      Cheers,

      Constantine

      Bringer of Doom ... And Pretzels!
    • Mark Edwards
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 4, 2001
        Agreed on the great reports! I am curious to know what those early
        Turk screw ups were. Cutting your own support or something like that
        Campbell? ;-)

        One of my very first playings of Diplomacy was 2-player. Of course
        this doesn't give you an inkling about the meat of the game, but it does
        teach you the game's tactical manuevering. Dan and I set the game up
        and played it for hours. I think the turning point came when Italy
        joined the "war" and by random chance went to the dark side (Dan's Axis
        forces) and I could no longer hold him off. We actually had a good time
        with it, even though it boiled down to one big rock/scissors/paper
        exercise.

        Keep me posted on the next possible mini-monster day! Perhaps we
        can get a 5 player game of Die Macher in? Then again, Adv. Civ sounds
        great too! Whatever, I'm easy. If I get free for a whole day of gaming
        I'll play Tiddly Winks and be happy.

        Mark

        --
        Mark Edwards
        dangermouse@...

        If you're interested in board games and are located in the Eastern Mass
        area, check out Unity Games!

      • Adam Smiles
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 4, 2001
          > Agreed on the great reports! I am curious to know what those early
          >Turk screw ups were. Cutting your own support or something like that
          >Campbell? ;-)

          If memory serves me correctly there were 3 key mistakes, although there may
          have been other smaller ones. The first, and probably the most costly was
          the attempt to go directly from the Black Sea to the Aegean Sea without
          first going through Constantinople. The second would be asking Russia to
          support Bulgaria's attack on Rumania, and then attacking with the Black Sea.
          And lastly, late in the game, asking France to attack Serbia from Albania
          and then also trying to move there, bouncing France's attack and leaving
          Serbia vacant and still under Austrian-Hungarian control.

        • Campbell MacInnes
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 4, 2001
            --- In Unity_Games@y..., Mark Edwards <dangermouse@m...> wrote:
            > Agreed on the great reports! I am curious to know what those
            early
            > Turk screw ups were. Cutting your own support or something like
            that
            > Campbell? ;-)

            I made an error in each of the first three turns (spring and fall '01
            and spring '02) which basically allowed Russia and definitely Austria
            to gobble-up all the land around the Ottoman Empire and completely
            choke-off any growth or even movement on my part.

            After calming down, and I was pissed and not as pleasant as I should
            have been I admit (nothing hurts worse than knowing you screwed
            yourself), I offered Austria peace if they would give me an "out"
            (through greece). If he had given it, and held to it, I likely would
            have fought France for Italy, and buffered Austria coincidentally. Of
            course, he refused, so I turned Cassandric and proclaimed the
            Ottomans as the "Thorn in the foot of the giant". That by the time he
            was done with me, he'd be thoroughly screwed in Europe. Not with any
            vindictiveness, of course. At the time I was just using it as a
            bargaining point. It was sorta neat that that is more or less the way
            it worked out though.

            I was definitely nervous though, because the Austrian refusal
            basically forced me to ally with Russia, and at the time they were
            fairly well off AND...well, Russia was Matt. That would make ANYONE
            nervous ;)

            The other errors throughout the game were just the sort of "shoot
            yourself in the foot" kind of errors I normally make in most games.
            Of course, in many more forgiving games, such errors can often be
            disguised as maverick strategy that catches the opponent off-guard
            and somehow leads to victory.

            If only it were so in Diplomacy ;)

            Of course, now I really DO want to play again. I've been thinking
            about the game on and off all day and plotting my vengeance, heh.

            --Campbell
          • Campbell MacInnes
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 4, 2001
              --- In Unity_Games@y..., Constantine von Hoffman <c@a...> wrote:
              > We're going to have another mini-monster in October--either Sunday
              the 7th
              > or the Sunday the 14th, depending on what works out for the most
              people.
              > Looks like we'll be playing Adv. Civ. Please let me know if you'd
              like to
              > attend.

              Count me in for either date.

              --Campbell