Re: [Unity_Games] SR: Diplomacy Mini-Monster (VERY LONG)

  • AndAgainMA@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 3, 2001
      Nice report, Campbell!

      >location: Casa De Von Hoffman<

      Shouldn't that be Schloss Von Hoff? or Chateau Hoffman, given the allocation
      of countries?

      >I admit I had begun to severely dislike the game in the beginning,
      due mainly to the fact that its structure makes it severely
      unforgiving of even the minorest mental errors<

      That reminds me of the first game of Diplomacy I played. It was a world map
      variant played by email, and I was the Emporer of China. I occupied a supply
      center in the spring of the first year, moved out in the fall, and was most
      upset not to get the build for it.

      As for Campbell's PoF comparison, I think that Princes is massively more
      unforgiving of a single error than is Diplomacy. Make an error in Diplomacy,
      and you can often use it to convince a potential ally that you're not a
      threat to them.* Make a mistake in PoF and you're pretty much out of it,
      given the level of Florentian experience that abounds at UG sessions these
      days.

      Having said that, I rarely make a single error in a game of Princes...

      Andrew.

      * On the other hand, yes, I do admit that there are *some* fatal single
      errors in Diplomacy.