SR: SNOB 7/30

  • Matthew Gray
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 30, 2001
      I arrived a little late and found Dave Rapp had just arrived as well,
      and Richard, Ronald, and a friend of Richard's were playing something
      already.

      Dave and I sat down to a few quick games of Zertz, which I had just
      picked up last week. It's an interesting game. It has a nice feeling
      of getting deeper as we play. The first couple times I've played I
      definitely played "wrong", that is, with a strategy which didn't
      particularly help me. Our second and third games were somewhat
      better, but it seems there's some real depth here, but I'll echo
      Dave's concern that one's improvement may be asymtotic to a not very
      advanced level. It's quick enough, I'll definitely play it more.

      After this, Richard and Dave and I had wanted to play Medina, and
      Richard's friend had to leave, so Ronald joined us for a four player
      game of Medina. I'd never played before, and Richard has played a lot
      (10+) After admiring the "beautiful wooden pieces", I got the rules
      explained. I capped off a couple of palaces fairly early, with good
      market coverage on one and good wall coverage on another. I failed to
      retain any of the tower bonuses except the "1" point bonus, and got
      none of the largest palace bonuses, but still managed to win by 2
      points by some very offensive play in the endgame. For the most part,
      it really hurt Ronald (seated to my left), and hurt Richard and Dave
      enough, apparently.

      Follwing this, we decided to play another Dorra game, Land Unter!
      This is a nice simultaneous card selection game in the same spirit as
      6 nimmt! or even Pico (Dave mentioned another game it is like, but I
      hadn't played it and don't recall the name). It was very good, and I
      wish the theme/art was better (Dave said Zum Kuckuck was) but the game
      itself was very good. Definitely a winner. Ronald managed to take
      the victory, defeating the previously undefeated Dave.

      Finally, we played a round of Money, a Knizia game Dave and I finally
      managed to play this weekend, and Dave was rather disappointed because
      he liked it, and it's a Knizia game. I was unsurprised that I liked
      it, for the same reason. I managed to get the highest score in the
      one round we played, by a mere 10 points (a Krugerand).

      It was good to be back at SNOB after having missed it for most of July.

      ...Matthew
    • Ronald J Kimball
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 30, 2001
        On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 01:01:26AM -0400, Matthew Gray wrote:
        > I arrived a little late and found Dave Rapp had just arrived as well,
        > and Richard, Ronald, and a friend of Richard's were playing something
        > already.

        Richard, his friend Joe, and I were playing Wyatt Earp when Dave and
        Matthew arrived. This was Joe's first time at this game. After the second
        to last round, Joe was at 24 points and I had 23, while Richard was farther
        behind because a crucial hideout kept his main outlaw from scoring. A
        little luck in the next round and some advice on my final card helped me
        beat Joe by just one point.

        After Matthew and Dave left, Richard and I played Battle Cry, of which
        we're both big fans. The Confederate troops, with Richard at their head,
        decimated the hapless Northerners.

        > It was good to be back at SNOB after having missed it for most of July.

        Likewise!

        Ronald
      • AndAgainMA@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 31, 2001
          Medina seems to be one of those games that arouses particularly strong pro or
          con reactions. It looks as though it went down well at SNOB. It also went
          down well with Dan C and Keith when I taught them over the weekend.

          The other Dorra game played, Land Unter, is another one I like. I like the
          theme and art... what's wrong with trying to save your pigs from drowning?

          Andrew.

        • Matthew Gray
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 31, 2001
            > The other Dorra game played, Land Unter, is another one I like. I like the
            > theme and art... what's wrong with trying to save your pigs from drowning?

            Oh, is that what the theme of the game was? I thought it was about
            porcine scuba-diving aquaculture farmers who like to watch the weather
            channel.

            The art's not bad, it just doesn't appeal to me.

            ...Matthew
          • Richard Spoonts
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 31, 2001
              And let us not forget the fairy frogs on the backs of
              the cards!

              Richard

              http://phonecard.yahoo.com/