SR: Mini-Monster Game Day - July 1, 2001

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2001
      Just back from a full day of mini-monster gaming and
      post-game-dinner at the Outback Steakhouse!

      We called this a mini-monster game day since we were playing some
      games that are usually a bit too long to finish in a single
      evening game session. But our game of Samurai Swords was not as
      long as I thought it might be - Maybe 4.5 hours total (with 1
      hour of rules and startup) and so we had to fill about an hour
      after waiting for the Die Macher game to finish!

      First off big thanks to those who came to game for the day - the
      Samurai Swords crew of myself, Dave R, Andrew and Richard... and
      the Die Macher crew of Mark, Campbell and Matt. We were in
      neighboring rooms so as not to be too disturbing to eachother
      (well, my shacking those darn 12-sided dice in my nantucket
      nectars empty glass jar brought the Die Macher game to a stop
      while the investigated the ruckus!).

      SAMURAI SWORDS - Andrew-San, Richard-san and Rapp-san joined me
      for this game which only Dave R had played before. The Samurai
      Swords game got started about 1:30 with rules explanation and
      initial setup. We really didn't get into it until closer to 2:30
      after all the rules questions were answered and we had gone
      though our initial placement on the board. The game itself went
      very smoothly, with just a few extra rules questions here and
      there which we got answered quickly. There was quite a bit of
      conflict right from the get-go. Rapp-san lost a Diamyo early on
      - but that didn't seem to diminish his holding on the two smaller
      islands as well as some solid footing on the main island.
      Richard-san had a very impressive army amassed - and his base of
      operations were quickly spreading. I was too disjoint - and
      tried to do a little too much on all fronts - it was costly.
      Andrew-san had a similar problem I think - well I'm not really
      sure but he was also struggling to maintain a foothold in a few
      regions. Richard-san took an aggressive stance towards me after
      I had just expended a large amount of energy and warriors taking
      out Rapp-san's Diamyo and I couldn't fend him off and so lost my
      first Diamyo. Later in the same turn, he came in and took out a
      2nd Diamyo and I was pushed to the brink (lose 3 and you're out
      of the game)! Andrew and I had a somewhat unspoken truce as we
      were both really getting crunched - no sense on us fighting
      eachother as we knew we were soon to be carrion for the big boys.
      Rapp-san went on his final crusade - having a large base of
      operations to work from he only needed to capture 5 provinces and
      he got them without much trouble - Richard-san might have been
      able to stop (or at least delay) him if he had gone first in the
      turn order (a single Koku allocation would have allowed that -
      but as it was Rapp-san drew the short sword and took his part of
      the turn first - the game ended immediately when he captured his
      35th province).

      A fun game - and excellent people to play it with but it's not as
      much bang for my buck as many other recent games I've come to
      enjoy. Maybe I've been spoiled by the German/Euro/Desiger style
      game, but I don't see me playing this too often. Still, it was a
      fine experience - and I'm glad to have played this at least once
      as there were certainly some fun moments during the heavy dice
      fest that ensued! To my fellow Samurai warriors (who played with
      honor), I thank you!

      DIE MACHER - Don't know many details but there was a lot of
      hooting and hollering and Matt won!

      TAKE IT EASY - With an hour to kill waiting for the Die Macher
      game to finish we played three rounds of Take it Easy. A nice
      filler game - almost like solitaire bingo-style play but with
      some strategy. Dave got a 200+ point round which was great.
      Everyone seemed to enjoy it but it was clear we were getting
      hungry!

      OUTBACK STEAKHOUSE - the best part of the day without doubt!
      Great food, fine company and lots of laughs... We mostly talked
      games and gaming related tidbits of info and ate an incredible
      amount of food! Note for future mini-monster game days... ONE
      Cheesy-Fries is probably enough for 7 people, the 2nd platter of
      Cyeesy-Fries was over the top!

      Great game/food day - thanks to everyone who made the effort!

      We have some pictures of the day up at:

      And look for "Mini-Monster July 1" folder. There should be 6
      photos there...

      dber@...
    • Matthew Horn
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 5, 2001
        Come one, come all! Belated Die Macher session report.

        LOOK! Scoring matrices!

        SEE! Full-color pictures!

        RECOIL IN HORROR... from Dave B's picture!

        LAUGH ALONG.... as Campbell votes for nuclear energy!

        http://www.knizia.com/monster/monster070101.html
[...]

        http://www.gis.net/~dber <http://www.gis.net/~dber> (South Shore Gamers)

        Happy Birthday Unity Games! Year 1 - July 1, 2001

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 5, 2001
          Matt wrote:

          > Come one, come all! Belated Die Macher session report.
          >
          > LOOK! Scoring matrices!
          >
          > SEE! Full-color pictures!
          >
          > RECOIL IN HORROR... from Dave B's picture!

          Hehheh... You know I was getting fitted for my Tux on Monday and after
          trying the pants, shirt, vest, coat and tie I emerged from the dressing room
          to a gasp by Jenn who said - "WOW - you actually look good!". What, for the
          first time!?! Hehheh. That should leave no doubt as to why my self
          confidence occasionally suffers :-)

          >http://www.knizia.com/monster/monster070101.html

          Great report and pics Matt!

          dber@...
        • hotc@mediaone.net
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 5, 2001
            --- In Unity_Games@y..., "Dave Bernazzani" <dber@g...> wrote:
            > Hehheh... You know I was getting fitted for my Tux on Monday and
            after
            > trying the pants, shirt, vest, coat and tie I emerged from the
            dressing room
            > to a gasp by Jenn who said - "WOW - you actually look good!".

            As a regular wearer of a tuxedo (there used to be a picture of me
            stopping by SSG to play something while wearing same), I'm astonished
            that just about anyone can look good in formal attire, even me. Every
            time I pass through a game group, such as B&N, thus dressed, I seem to
            surprise folks... I've dressed up so damn much due to my Masonic
            activities that I don't even notice it anymore.

            But I want to see a picture of Dave in a tuxedo, if only to prove this
            theory true.

            Walter.