Re: Greetings!

  • Campbell MacInnes
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 1 9:08 AM
      --- In Unity_Games@y..., albergclan@h... wrote:
      > My name is Phil Alberg, and I am a new member of the Unity Games
      > Group. I live in Cumberland, RI, and was introduced to this list
      by
      > Mark Edwards, who wrote to me after seeing my entry in the WGD
      > database on boardgamegeek.

      Welcome! Always good to see a new face on the list ;) I Can tell from
      your list of "current favourites" that you and I have similar
      interests in games. Can't wait to face you across the table ;)

      I just wanted to point out the Unity Games Coverage Map
      (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Unity_Games/files/Coverage%
      20Map/coveragemap.htm) as a good resource for learning where most of
      the game sessions (and some of the other gamers) are located in
      relation to you. RI isn't on there yet, but its that big blank spot
      right where you'd think it was ;)

      Just from a quick glance, I'd say the 4 closest sessions (and all
      apparently an hour or under in driving time) to you are:

      1) Guy Stuff Gaming - Mark's group. Definitely the closest and chock
      full of Rhode Islanders already ;)

      2) Barnes & Noble night - At the Walpole Mall Barnes & Noble. Open
      atmosphere and lot's of fun.

      3) MVGA - Based out of Holliston. They play alot of train and travel
      games (which were predominant on your "want to play" list) and the
      longer session time there allows for the occasional game of Roads and
      Boats, I hear.

      4) B2O - Out of Bridgewater. This one's about an hour, but that's not
      so bad on a Friday night, and we close that one up quite late, so its
      time well spent, in my opinion ;)

      Welp, just wanted to welcome you again, and hope to see you at a
      session!

      --Campbell, uber-pusher of the Coverage Map.
    • Mark Edwards
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 1 7:13 PM
        Hiya Phil!

        We've already corresponded a bit privately but I figured you were
        dying to hear my two cents... ;-)

        albergclan@... wrote:

        > My current favorites are: Settlers of Catan, El Grande, Modern Art,
        > and Tigris & Euphrates.

        Good stuff! I especially love Modern Art. I've got a game you've
        gotta try, it's called Traumfabrik! (I'm the official Traumfabrik
        pusher around here). But seriously I don't know how many of the German
        style games you've played, but there are a lot more than you would
        believe among the many and various collections of folks on this list.

        > Games I own that I've not played but want to play: 1830, Circus
        > Minimus, Pampas Railroads, Silverton.

        As I mentioned privately, one of these days I've gotta play one of
        these rail games. I have Iron Dragon but haven't cracked the rulebook
        yet.

        > Games I do not own that I'm itching to play: Carcassonne, Medici,
        > Roads & Boats, The Princes of Florence.

        Medici is another of my favorites, and Carcassonne and Princes of
        Florence, while not among my favorites, are very fine games and are well
        liked by many here on the list. I haven't read much about Roads &
        Boats, I believe a few folks have copies but that it's only been played
        once or twice among all of UG membership.

        > Greatest gaming accomplishment: A tie. 1) Teaching Settlers of Catan
        > to a couple of non-gaming co-workers, and proceeding to play the game
        > every day during lunch for the next year and a half.

        Every day?!? A year and a half!? My God man!

        > 2) Cultivating good gamesmanship among my five children.

        I've been trying to do the same, but damn if I don't keep losing at
        Candy Land. Talk about hissy fits! ;-)

        > It's exciting to know that there are other gamers in the area who
        > share my passion and adiction. I look forward to the opportunity of
        > meeting some of you face-to-face at future gaming sessions.

        Like I mentioned offline, I can't be that far from you here in South
        Attleboro and of course you're more than welcome to drop by sometime.
        And don't worry, my bark is worse than my bite. ;0)

        Mark

        --
        Mark Edwards
        dangermouse@...

        If you're interested in board games and are located in the Eastern Mass
        area, check out Unity Games!