Re: [Unity_Games] Re: SR: B2O 6-29-01 ( Long)

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 2001
      "Campbell MacInnes" <haleon@...> wrote:

      >Big turn-out again. And not only that, but I think this
      >is our third or fourth session in a row with at least one
      >person in attendance who was new to both B2O AND Unity Games.

      Great turnout guys! I was there two weeks ago for the high-water
      mark - and heard someone mutter in the background about "SSG-like
      numbers" for the turnout :-) I chuckled as I don't really think
      in terms of comparing one group to another - but the B2O session
      has become very successful and is a great place to play.
      Congrats to everyone who has made it so!

      >[WEREWOLF]
      >Ye gods! My first play of this game in months! Glad to
      >finally break this out again. It was a downright slaughter
      >in both games, with skilled werewolves and apparently blind,
      >deaf and dumb villagers ;) We were sorely in need of Mark
      >or Dave B's vampire-sniffing qualifications.

      I've been in semi-retierment (my only Werewolf plays this year
      came at 2 SSG's early in the year and at the late-night Gathering
      werewolf game). It's been a long year 2000 of vampire hunting
      and that's taken it's toll on me. I'm on my way back - as I've
      built up my strength and have laid low allowing the werewolves to
      think they are safe. When the SSG was smaller and at my place of
      work, this was a staple game to play. At the bigger hall (with
      joyful music playing - great band last knight by the way - that
      Benny Hill theme song was well executed!), it seems to have faded
      a bit. I think B20 is a great atmosphere (quiet basement-like
      room just festering with werewolves) and is at the right # of
      people that werewolf will rise to popularity there. At Unity
      Games III there will be a massive Werewolf game - you can count
      on it!

      >Yes, I admit it. Having seen the recent turnouts, I gave
      >in and made the optimistic statement of "maybe we should
      >go every week!", though I've been avoiding that road up until now.
      >
      >Here's a question for the list at large.
      >What is everyone's opinion. Will going weekly adversely
      >affect our turnouts? Is it a good idea?

      I like the weekly format. With a weekly format, people come to
      expect it and are not left wondering "Is this the ON week?". You
      might not get that occasional huge turnout (but then again you
      might!) but I think you'll have stable numbers. I went to a
      weekly format with the SSG when I had 6 or so regulars that I
      could draw from (and would only get 4 most weeks). You guys seem
      to be consistently above the 10 mark most weeks - if you think
      having just 4 or 5 some weeks is OK, then I see no reason you
      shouldn't try weekly. I don't think you'll have much overlap
      conflict with Craig's Friday night WAGG as it is reasonably
      geographically separated (and WAGG is semi-closed due to space
      restrictions - I haven't seen it on the calendar for a while).
      As I mentioned to you last night at the SSG, this Friday is
      sandwiched between the holiday and a weekend which seems lots of
      people will be away at Origins, vacation, etc. You might wait
      one more week before starting it up (if that's what you all
      decide)!

      On a side note, I always expected the winter would prove more
      popular than the summer for game attendance. But I saw steady
      growth last summer - and last fall, and this past winter/spring
      so I really cannot say. I think now that the number of UGers has
      tapered off to just a few new members per month, the summer might
      prove to have a slowdown in attendance? I keep thinking the SSG
      has to drop it's average as we are losing some people due to
      births, moving, etc. But so far it's held steady.

      dber@...
    • gstevens31@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 1, 2001
        I would definately be in favor of a weekly B2O format. I looked
        ahead on my calandar and there are quite a few occassions I can not
        make the "ON" weeks. I think it would add flexibility without
        compromising large attendances. I would not be able to make every
        Friday night but I would be able to make more of them with the weekly
        format than with the current system.

        July 4'th week may be a bad time to start however as Dave mentioned,
        so I would suggest starting with the July 13 (Friday the 13th, sounds
        like a good time for the werewolves to come out!) as the begining of
        a weekly format.

        Let's go for it! I second Campbell's motion!

        Greg Stevens