SR: MVGA 5/31; Das Amulett's better than I thought

  • whunt@vistasource.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2001
      A lively Thursday night in Holliston, our best turnout in some time.

      On hand: Walter, Matt N, Richard M, Bob J, Anton, Mark T & friend,
      Andy L, Scott, Dan M, Paul H. I apologize for forgetting Mark's
      friend's name - we didn't have a chance to sit together at a game, but
      we hope to have the pleasure of her attendance at future sessions.

      On the table: Wyatt Earp, Siedler/Cheops, Das Amulett X2, Meridian,
      Cartagena.

      Hopefully Mark or someone else will report on the Cheops scenario for
      Siedler von Catan, as I didn't play it (though I was called over for
      rules reading). Looked interesting.

      Meridian with four players was a fun experience, but there were at
      least three different rules interpretations from my quick but
      apparently inept explanation of the rules. Perhaps it will be better
      next time.

      For me, the big part of the evening was two plays of Das Amulett, once
      with four players and once with five. Andy and I have exchanged e-mail
      on this, and it's my feeling after three plays (I played with 3 at the
      Gathering and was really disappointed) that it simply doesn't play
      well with less than 4 - it's too likely that luck of the draw will
      give someone a quick victory.

      It's clear that, like MtG, the key is in the _combinations_ of cards.
      For example, a spell card that gives you income in a particular metal
      combined with another spell that makes that metal wild produces a very
      useful combination. It's also clear that there are situations in which
      players must act at variance with their own self-interest to make sure
      another player doesn't reach an unstoppable position. (That is, you
      have to take one "for the team". Of course, this is true of some other
      games as well. But you have to recognize that such a situation has
      arisen, which isn't always obvious.) There is no way to pull down a
      leader, merely to prevent him from progressing: when someone reaches 6
      jewels, the only way to box him in is to force him to take a
      duplicate.

      Finally, a little experience goes a long way. In a game where half the
      players have played the game and half have not, you probably can't bet
      on any of the newbies to win. If there's only one vet, however, the
      random actions of the newbies will probably counteract experience.

      So - it's a lot better game than I thought, and I'm glad I bought it.
      But of the three Moon/Weissblum concoctions, I prefer San Marco, with
      this one and Capitol trailing behind.

      Walter, Herr Zauberhut.