SR: SNOB XXIII

  • Matthew Gray
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 30, 2001
      I arrived to find Richard, Jake and David Rapp playing Wyatt Earp.
      While they were finishing, Jesse, Ricardo and Kate showed up. Richard
      ended the hand of Wyatt Earp, they added up the money, and found David
      had won, only to discover that Richard had erroneously opened a set
      with only two cards, making this, of course, an "asterisk" game, or,
      as Dave pointed out: an "ass-kicking-terisk" game. Yep.

      Ricardo, Kate, Dave and I decided to play Hamster Rolle, and Richard,
      Jake, Jesse and a YMGer played San Marco. I believe the YMGer is
      named Ben (not Ben Peal), but apparently he refused to give his
      name...

      Hamster Rolle was a lot of fun. I'm enjoying dexterity games more
      these days, though I am still not very good at them. Hamster Rolle is
      a partnership dexterity game, and Kate was unfortunate enough to have
      me as a partner. After one particularly bad spill, we thought all was
      lost, until Ricardo had a fairly substantial spill himself, but we
      lost anyway. Still, a fun game.

      Continuing on the dexterity theme, we borrowed Pounce from Richard
      (though I won my copy today on eBay -- hooray!) and I introduced them
      to it. This is a blast, and I'm eager to try it with 7 or 8 people.
      Surprisingly, my abyssymal skill at this last week seemed to be
      overcome by my experience with the game, and I solidly defeated my
      opponents in two rounds of Pounce, though Dave came close the second
      time around. A lot of twitching :-)

      Finally, I pulled out Mamma Mia, complete with Italian accents. Very
      agressive pizza laying put Dave into an early lead, and a great many
      first round "leftovers". My Bombastica at the end of the second round
      insured no leftovers, though dave still led, with 4 completed pizzas.
      In the final round, we all made a valiant effort, successfully making
      lots of pizza's, but so did Dave. In the end, Dave and I had both
      completed all but 1 pizza, but Dave had more cards in his hand, for
      the tiebreaker.

      The other group was now playing Linie 1.

      Ricardo hadn't had dinner, and I hadn't had lunch, so we ran off to
      Anna's Taqueria for yummy burritos.

      A very good session, and I hope Jake or Richard or Jesse can report on
      the other tables games.

      Now, for my obligatory statistical anecdote: Last week, I noted that I
      had played 113 unique games in 113 days, and speculated I wouldn't
      keep it up. Well, I played five new games at Craig's last week and
      Hamster Rolle and Mamma Mia (first time played this year) tonight,
      bringing me up to 120 unique games for 120 days. I will no longer
      speculate on whether I will keep this up.

      ...Matthew
    • Richard Spoonts
      Message 2 of 3 , May 1, 2001
        Notes from the other table:

        San Marco: Jake, Jesse, Richard, "It Doesn't Matter"
        (this was the answer he gave twice when we asked his
        name).

        Jake had been itching to play this game for the first
        time, especially since his copy was played twice at
        SSG without him. I explained the rules as printed,
        which differ on several points from the way I was
        taught and the way I have seen it played (e.g., the
        first divider rotates around the board, the cards are
        to be divided in secret, a player may cross only his
        bridge to move an aristocrat to an adjacent area). I
        took an early lead, with Jesse close behind. Jake was
        the divider in all but one hand, and the cards were
        not at all kind to him. We entered the final passage
        with me having a comfortable lead and a strong
        presence on the board. However, I was forced to cross
        the ten point threshold, giving Jake and Jesse a
        critical final turn; I went from holding clear
        pluralities in three areas to scoring in only one area
        at the end. I really like this game, but others were
        less enthusiastic. Jake needs to play a game with
        better cards before making a final decision.

        Results: Jesse, It, Richard, Jake

        Linie 1: Jake, Jesse, Richard.

        Having played Metro last week, Jake suggested Linie 1.
        Jesse and I had not played before; Jake had played
        once. Once again, I had to show these boys how to lay
        track. There was not much screwage in this game, and
        I quickly completed a fairly short route and took the
        win; Jake brought his trolley home within a few more
        dice rolls. Very nice game, though I think I prefer
        Metro.

        Results: Richard won, Jake second

        Wyatt Earp: Jake, Jesse, Richard

        Jesse wanted to find out what all the fuss is about,
        and Jake and I didn't mind playing a second time. I
        vowed not to asterisk this game. The two Texas boys
        pulled out the big guns and showed the Yank how to
        rustle up them outlaws. Jake and I were very close in
        the first and second hands. I dealt the third, and
        Jake threatened to kick my ass for giving him such
        lousy cards (promises, promises). After his first
        draw, he told me that I was going to hell (big
        surprise there!). Jesse went out to my chagrin,
        allowing Jake to snake a narrow victory.

        Results: Jake 27, Richard 25, Jesse mid-teens

        --- Matthew Gray <matthew@...> wrote:
        > Now, for my obligatory statistical anecdote: Last
        > week, I noted that I
        > had played 113 unique games in 113 days, and
        > speculated I wouldn't
        > keep it up. Well, I played five new games at
        > Craig's last week and
        > Hamster Rolle and Mamma Mia (first time played this
        > year) tonight,
        > bringing me up to 120 unique games for 120 days. I
        > will no longer
        > speculate on whether I will keep this up.

        This is just wrong. :-)

        The night ended with Jake and me seeing the
        post-burrito Matthew and Dave in the parking lot.
        Dave shouted out some rude comment about us board game
        geeks; I responded with more than one obscene gesture.

        Ciao.

        Richard

        http://auctions.yahoo.com/
      • David Rapp
        Message 3 of 3 , May 1, 2001
          Great report that had me laughing out loud more than once!

          > The night ended with Jake and me seeing the
          > post-burrito Matthew and Dave in the parking lot.
          > Dave shouted out some rude comment about us board game
          > geeks; I responded with more than one obscene gesture.

          And I responded by fondling the bird crap on Mr. Gray's vehicle. What was
          up with that?

          Yesterday's SNOB definitely goes down as one of the best in quite a bit of
          time. I've GOT to find a copy of Pounce.