Re: [Unity_Games] 3/30 - Wakefield Gaming: Limits, Volltreffer and more

  • Pitt Crandlemire
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 2, 2001
      At 09:18 AM 4/2/01 -0700, Craig Massey wrote:

      >Limits - Pitt, Alan, Andrew, David, myself and Pat:
      [...]
      >Pretty
      >decent filler that should work well with the non
      >gaming crowd as well as kids too.

      I liked it, too, though it seemed pretty hard to keep any reasonable track
      of how many cards had been played in more than oen or two colors. As long
      as it's played quickly, without too much deep thought, it's a fun filler.

      Our game went on a little bit longer than most of would have liked, I
      think. However, that was because I forgot the rule about removing some of
      the Limit cards at the beginning of the game. Had we done that, it would
      have been about 10 minutes shorter, which would have been just right.

      >Volltreffer - Andrew, Pitt, David, myself: Another
      >game that has been sitting on my shelf since last year
      >yet to be played. This one is of the trick taking
      >variety. The game starts with players purchasing
      >their hand of cards. Each player starts with 20
      >points.

      Actually, 25. Each rank on the scoretrack is 5 points, so that extra 5
      points makes a big difference.

      >Melds include 3 of a kind, 4
      >of a kind, 5 of a kind, one of each suit (5 suits) and
      >lowest total hand.

      FWIW, after about 6 plays, I think that the meld scoring nees to be
      adjusted a bit. Right now its:

      3 of a kind 5 points
      4 of a kind 10 points
      5 of a kind 25 points

      That should either be 5, 10, 15 or 5, 15, 25.

      Also, the meld bonus for at least one card in each of the 5 suits is only 5
      points. Since each trick won in the trick taking game is also worth 5
      points, there's really no reason to go for the 5 color bonus. Keeping a
      void so you can ruff a color is essentially equal to the 5 color bonus. As
      a result, the 5 color bonus should probably be 10 points.

      >The game ends when a hand is completed
      >and one or more players are in the target area which
      >is 61-70 points. The player who is closest to the
      >bullseye of 66 points wins.

      I also think that the "target" range should be reduced to a single rank,
      rather than the current two. As it is, once a player reaches the first
      target rank, the only way to keep him from winning is to force him to take
      *2* extra tricks, a very difficult thing to do. Reducing the target to one
      rank allows you to more realistically hit the leader by forcing him to take
      only one extra trick.

      >Very cool game in my opinion

      I agree wholeheartedly. My comments above should not be interpreted as
      criticism of this good little game from (wait for it) Gunter Burkhardt.

      >I think David ended up winning

      I beg your pardon! This was my only victory all night! ;-)

      -Pitt
    • Richard Spoonts
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 2, 2001
        Craig,

        I like Drathseilakt best with four and least with
        five, and I think it is also quite good with three.
        With five, it is simply too easy to hide in the middle
        for the whole game.

        Richard

      • jsyedidia@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 2, 2001
          --- In Unity_Games@y..., Richard Spoonts <Richard_BOS@y...> wrote:
          > Craig,
          >
          > I like Drathseilakt best with four and least with
          > five, and I think it is also quite good with three.
          > With five, it is simply too easy to hide in the middle
          > for the whole game.
          >
          > Richard
          >
          > > Tightrope: Richard taught the game and then showed
          > > us
          > > how to play properly. I was very pleasantly
          > > surprised
          > > at how good this game was. What number does this
          > > one
          > > play best with?

          I disagree a little with Richard. IMHO, I would say 3 players is best,
          than 4, than 5.

          Jonathan
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 2, 2001
            We played this at B&N last August (15, 2000) with 5 players. I won and
            remember that the scores were clustered near the winning score and then a
            _big_ drop for one or two of the players. It was light and somewhat fun but
            I I was not overly impressed (just not my cup of tea I suspect) and it fell
            into the eh-filler category for me. Interesting to hear that the number we
            played with (5) is not quite optimal.

            dber@...
          • Richard Spoonts
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 2, 2001
              I think that three players makes for the most
              strategic game; however, given the lightness of the
              game, I still prefer the four player game with its
              slightly less control (though this preference is not a
              strong one). Also, given the lightness of this game,
              I have written far more about it than is probably
              necessary. :-)

              Richard