Re: [Unity_Games] Diskwar what is it?

  • John P. Cataldo
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 2, 2001
      ] I saw a game called Diskwar's at Three Trolls. Is it based the Disk
      ] World stories by Terry Prachett or is it or is it totally unrelated?
      ] I son is a Disk World fan and if it is related he might find it
      ] interesting. Anyone have anything they would like to say about
      ] Diskwar?

      I believe that Diskwars is *totally* unrelated to Terry Pratchett's Disk
      World book series. It's only called diskwars because of the shape of
      the playing pieces.

      John
    • Brian
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 2, 2001
        As the others have said, it is unrelated to the books.

        It's also a lot of fun. A unit's power is
        proportional to the size of the disk it is printed on,
        and movement occurs by turning the disk end over end a
        certain number of times (the unit's speed)

        Attacking is either by projectile (drop the specified
        number of "arrows" from 12 inches off the table, what
        they land on is hit), or hand-to-hand by overlapping
        an opposing disk after a movement.

        It's something of a "poor-man's Warhammer" (which I
        don't think is a bad thing at all, I'm none too good
        at painting minis :>)

        There are several themed Diskwars sets now as well as
        the basic group of armies. The themes include Star
        Trek, DoomTown, and Legend of the Five Rings.

        Themed sets do have some rules modifications to fit
        the motif. It's easy enough to learn on any set,
        though.

        I'd be more than willing to play a game or two
        sometime, let me know when and I'll bring my sets.
        (I'm typically only at SSG and B2O, but I'm hoping to
        branch out in the near future.)

        Brian

      • David Rapp
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 2, 2001
          Brian wrote:
          > There are several themed Diskwars sets now as well as
          > the basic group of armies. The themes include Star
          > Trek, DoomTown, and Legend of the Five Rings.

          Battletech should be released soon.

          And along the same lines, Fantasy Flight is releasing another collectible
          game called Vortex, that uses hexes. Sounds interesting, and also by Tom
          Jolly and crew.

        • AndAgainMA@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 2, 2001
            I have a few Legends of the Five Rings Diskwars sets. I'll try to remember to bring them along to SSG.

            Andrew.
          • Scott
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 2, 2001
              My 100 pt. Unicorn army will crush and trod upon any other disks that
              appear on the field.

              (How is that Mark?)

              ScottH.

            • AndAgainMA@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 2, 2001
                Scott,

                I'll put together a 100-point army, probably Phoenix,... let's do some L5R
                Diskwars !

                Andrew.