Re: [Unity_Games] Diskwar what is it?

  • Matthew Gray
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 2, 2001
      > I saw a game called Diskwar's at Three Trolls. Is it based the Disk World
      > stories by Terry Prachett or is it or is it totally unrelated? I son is a
      > Disk World fan and if it is related he might find it interesting. Anyone
      > have anything they would like to say about Diskwar?

      It's totally unrelated.

      It's basically a simple miniatures game, but instead of miniatures,
      you use cardboard disks (pogs, essentially).

      ...Matthew
    • John P. Cataldo
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 2, 2001
        ] I saw a game called Diskwar's at Three Trolls. Is it based the Disk
        ] World stories by Terry Prachett or is it or is it totally unrelated?
        ] I son is a Disk World fan and if it is related he might find it
        ] interesting. Anyone have anything they would like to say about
        ] Diskwar?

        I believe that Diskwars is *totally* unrelated to Terry Pratchett's Disk
        World book series. It's only called diskwars because of the shape of
        the playing pieces.

        John
      • Brian
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 2, 2001
          As the others have said, it is unrelated to the books.

          It's also a lot of fun. A unit's power is
          proportional to the size of the disk it is printed on,
          and movement occurs by turning the disk end over end a
          certain number of times (the unit's speed)

          Attacking is either by projectile (drop the specified
          number of "arrows" from 12 inches off the table, what
          they land on is hit), or hand-to-hand by overlapping
          an opposing disk after a movement.

          It's something of a "poor-man's Warhammer" (which I
          don't think is a bad thing at all, I'm none too good
          at painting minis :>)

          There are several themed Diskwars sets now as well as
          the basic group of armies. The themes include Star
          Trek, DoomTown, and Legend of the Five Rings.

          Themed sets do have some rules modifications to fit
          the motif. It's easy enough to learn on any set,
          though.

          I'd be more than willing to play a game or two
          sometime, let me know when and I'll bring my sets.
          (I'm typically only at SSG and B2O, but I'm hoping to
          branch out in the near future.)

          Brian

        • David Rapp
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 2, 2001
            Brian wrote:
            > There are several themed Diskwars sets now as well as
            > the basic group of armies. The themes include Star
            > Trek, DoomTown, and Legend of the Five Rings.

            Battletech should be released soon.

            And along the same lines, Fantasy Flight is releasing another collectible
            game called Vortex, that uses hexes. Sounds interesting, and also by Tom
            Jolly and crew.

          • AndAgainMA@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 2, 2001
              I have a few Legends of the Five Rings Diskwars sets. I'll try to remember to bring them along to SSG.

              Andrew.
            • Scott
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 2, 2001
                My 100 pt. Unicorn army will crush and trod upon any other disks that
                appear on the field.

                (How is that Mark?)

                ScottH.

              • AndAgainMA@aol.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 2, 2001
                  Scott,

                  I'll put together a 100-point army, probably Phoenix,... let's do some L5R
                  Diskwars !

                  Andrew.