Diskwar what is it?

  • Kornfeld, Lewis A
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 2, 2001
      I saw a game called Diskwar's at Three Trolls. Is it based the Disk World
      stories by Terry Prachett or is it or is it totally unrelated? I son is a
      Disk World fan and if it is related he might find it interesting. Anyone
      have anything they would like to say about Diskwar?

      LEWIS KORNFELD, TSA, BURLINGTON SCSC. 227557, RNET 733-3831.
    • Matthew Gray
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 2, 2001
        > I saw a game called Diskwar's at Three Trolls. Is it based the Disk World
        > stories by Terry Prachett or is it or is it totally unrelated? I son is a
        > Disk World fan and if it is related he might find it interesting. Anyone
        > have anything they would like to say about Diskwar?

        It's totally unrelated.

        It's basically a simple miniatures game, but instead of miniatures,
        you use cardboard disks (pogs, essentially).

        ...Matthew
      • John P. Cataldo
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 2, 2001
          ] I saw a game called Diskwar's at Three Trolls. Is it based the Disk
          ] World stories by Terry Prachett or is it or is it totally unrelated?
          ] I son is a Disk World fan and if it is related he might find it
          ] interesting. Anyone have anything they would like to say about
          ] Diskwar?

          I believe that Diskwars is *totally* unrelated to Terry Pratchett's Disk
          World book series. It's only called diskwars because of the shape of
          the playing pieces.

          John
        • Brian
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 2, 2001
            As the others have said, it is unrelated to the books.

            It's also a lot of fun. A unit's power is
            proportional to the size of the disk it is printed on,
            and movement occurs by turning the disk end over end a
            certain number of times (the unit's speed)

            Attacking is either by projectile (drop the specified
            number of "arrows" from 12 inches off the table, what
            they land on is hit), or hand-to-hand by overlapping
            an opposing disk after a movement.

            It's something of a "poor-man's Warhammer" (which I
            don't think is a bad thing at all, I'm none too good
            at painting minis :>)

            There are several themed Diskwars sets now as well as
            the basic group of armies. The themes include Star
            Trek, DoomTown, and Legend of the Five Rings.

            Themed sets do have some rules modifications to fit
            the motif. It's easy enough to learn on any set,
            though.

            I'd be more than willing to play a game or two
            sometime, let me know when and I'll bring my sets.
            (I'm typically only at SSG and B2O, but I'm hoping to
            branch out in the near future.)

            Brian

          • David Rapp
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 2, 2001
              Brian wrote:
              > There are several themed Diskwars sets now as well as
              > the basic group of armies. The themes include Star
              > Trek, DoomTown, and Legend of the Five Rings.

              Battletech should be released soon.

              And along the same lines, Fantasy Flight is releasing another collectible
              game called Vortex, that uses hexes. Sounds interesting, and also by Tom
              Jolly and crew.

            • AndAgainMA@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 2, 2001
                I have a few Legends of the Five Rings Diskwars sets. I'll try to remember to bring them along to SSG.

                Andrew.
              • Scott
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 2, 2001
                  My 100 pt. Unicorn army will crush and trod upon any other disks that
                  appear on the field.

                  (How is that Mark?)

                  ScottH.

                • AndAgainMA@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 2, 2001
                    Scott,

                    I'll put together a 100-point army, probably Phoenix,... let's do some L5R
                    Diskwars !

                    Andrew.