Drahtseilakt

  • jsyedidia@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 1, 2001
      --- In Unity_Games@y..., Dave Bernazzani <dber@g...> wrote:
      > AndAgainMA@a... wrote:
      >
      > >The omission from your list of games played that I
      > >could find was Drahtseilakt, which Aaron, Jonathan,
      > >and I played toward the end of the session. Aaron
      > >won in his first play of this game.
      >
      > Since this game really falls into the trick taking category
      > (albeit a little more strange), Aaron seems to be good at these
      > types of games! Wasn't it Aaron that bought a slew of Tichu
      > decks?!? hehheh

      In fact Aaron seems to be good at every type of game. But I would have
      won if the 4 scoring card turned over before the 0 scoring card at the
      end instead of the other way around, so it was close! I like this game
      a lot but I don't really think it's a "trick-taking" game. There
      aren't any suits, and usually, taking a "trick" is a bad thing because
      it means you take sticks (of course, sometimes you want to do that)
      and have to start the next "trick" (which you never want to do in
      this game). I think it could just as well be considered an "auction"
      game, where you are "bidding" for red or blue sticks.

      Aaron made the good point when we were discussing the game afterwords
      that if you play with the variant where you only use the 1-27 cards
      for 3 players, you should keep the used cards open. Otherwise, the
      variant reduces luck, but mostly in favor of rewarding memory rather
      than rewarding tactical skill.

      Jonathan
    • Craig Massey
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 2, 2001
        --- In Unity_Games@y..., Dave Bernazzani <dber@g...> wrote:
        > Roll Call: Dave B, Scott, Noreen, Jenn, LaJean, Ben, Brian,
        > Aaron, Matt H, David H, Alison H, Constantine, Rob, Dave R,
        > Craig, Rich, Pat, Jonathan, Susan, Dick, Andrew, Tamara.

        > Pacal, Three for All, Rehinlander, Volltreffer, Siedler von Catan
        > - Alexander der Grosse & Cheops, Acquire (SS edition), Mystery
        > Rummy (#2 and the brand new #3 I believe), Taj Mahal, Knights,
        > Euphrat & Tigris, Mage Knights, NJet, Battle Line, Aquarium
        > Derby, Chrononauts, En Garde, Cribbage (3P cutthroat), Canasta
        > (4P Partners), Carabande and several others I know I missed.

        Add Stephonsens Rocket and Gang of Four to the list of games played as
        well.

        Quick synopsis of the games I participated in on Saturday.

        Mystery Rummy #2: The ongoing match of MR#2 between Pat & Dave vs.
        Alison and myself continued. Even at a game apiece from last week,
        Alison and I took and early lead after two hands including a 41 point
        shut out on hand one and then held on consistantly scoring 20+ points
        over the last three hands while Dave and Pat scored 30+ points but not
        enough to catch up before Alison and I broke 100.

        Gang of Four: While waiting for tables to finish up some longer
        games, the MR#2 group got in three hands of Gang of Four which is in
        the Karriere (sp?) Poker, Great Dalmuti, Tichu family of games. More
        on this in an impending WAGG report.

        Rheinlander - Jonathan, Rich M., Susan, Dave R., myself: A spin
        through the Rhine. Jonathan let Rich and Susan in on the rules which
        surprisingly for a Knizia game are a bit complicated compared to other
        Knizia games. I went with the many little duchies strategy and used
        Bastions to keep opposing Dukes on in in key spots and avoided fights.
        Jonathan made a late play to kick one of my dukes off the board, but
        I had the one card in my hand to get me back in the same duchy on my
        next turn. I ended up taking the victory with Susan second. Debate
        ensued after the game on its merits as a 5 player game and the amount
        of control one has. Its one of those games that I like player and
        almost never turn down though I think it is better with four players.
        You do lose a little control with five and the arch bishop becomes
        very tough to control with that many people.

        Volltreffer (Bullseye) - Susan, Dave, Rich M., Jonathan and myself: A
        trick taking game from Gunter Burkhardt (again more details in the
        upcoming WAGG SR). The basic idea is players are shooting for a end
        game score in the target range. This is done in two phases -
        auction/meld phase and trick taking phase. Rich stormed back on the
        last hand to steal the victory from Jonathan.

        Galloping Pigs - Rich, Dave R., myself: I stunk up the joint as Rich
        and Dave hogged all of the vegetables. I think Rich ended up on top
        of the pig pile.

        Stephensons Rocket - Rich M., Constantine, myself and one other person
        I can't remember, my apologies to whoever it was: New game for
        Constantine and mystery man. Tough one to play with players who have
        played before. Though as scores show, this didn't bear out. Rich
        took the victory with 67 bucks while Constantine and Mystery Man were
        at 62 and 60 and I limped along in the rear with 50. The game
        finished with 3 RRs on the board which was probably the main reason
        for what I think are relatively low scores.

        > NJET - With David, Jenn and Pat. This is a fairly strange trick
        > taking game where we get to choose (by process of elimination)
        > trump suit, start player, discards, scoring doublers, etc. Neat
        > but we only got in 2 rounds and decided to call it to let Alison
        > in on some gaming as her table had just finished up.

        Sorry to have missed this one - a favorite of mine. Also glad to see
        MR#3.
      • elkind_rob@emc.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 2, 2001
          Boy, I must be very forgettable - I keep finding myself referred to in these
          posts after events as; "some guy who's name I can't remember" or something
          similar.

          -Rob ... Rob ... Rob... :-0

          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 2, 2001
            > Boy, I must be very forgettable - I keep finding myself referred to in
            these
            > posts after events as; "some guy who's name I can't remember" or
            > something similar.
            >
            > -Rob ... Rob ... Rob... :-0

            Hehheh... It's hard being the new guy Rob! With 20-25 gamers at the SSG it
            does get difficult to remember new people (it takes me at least 2 sessions
            of seeing someone to lock in the name). It's now easy for me to remember
            your name - you're the guy that brought those very addicting chocolate-chip
            mini cookies.

            On a positive note - now that I know who you are, I've gone back and updated
            the names above the session report pictures.

            By the way, I'm moving many of my archived pics for Unity Games I and Unity
            Games II to:

            http://www.geocities.com/dbergis/

            dber@...
          • Craig Massey
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 2, 2001
              --- elkind_rob@... wrote:
              > Boy, I must be very forgettable - I keep finding
              > myself referred to in these
              > posts after events as; "some guy who's name I can't
              > remember" or something
              > similar.
              >
              > -Rob ... Rob ... Rob... :-0

              My sincerest apologies Phil. I pride my self in never
              forgetting a name. ;-)

              Craig

              =====
              Craig W. Massey
              cwmassey@...

            • Richard Spoonts
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 2, 2001
                Rob,

                I remember you. We played Battle Line, San Marco, and
                Lotus at the previous SSG as well as a couple of
                things at UG2. Maybe I should start writing session
                reports. :-)

                Richard

                --- elkind_rob@... wrote:
                > Boy, I must be very forgettable - I keep finding
                > myself referred to in these
                > posts after events as; "some guy who's name I can't
                > remember" or something
                > similar.
                >
                > -Rob ... Rob ... Rob... :-0

              • Constantine von Hoffman
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 2, 2001
                  for the record, i do not find Rob forgettable. he won two of the three
                  games i played saturday night and nearly won the third--(stephenson's
                  rocket) despite claiming not understand it for the first third of the
                  game. grrrrrrrrrrrr.

                  At 07:34 PM 4/2/01 +0000, you wrote:
                  >Boy, I must be very forgettable - I keep finding myself referred to in these
                  >posts after events as; "some guy who's name I can't remember" or something
                  >similar.
                  >
                  >-Rob ... Rob ... Rob... :-0
                • Mark Edwards
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 2, 2001
                    And either do I, although he did get completely hammered in a game of Traumfabrik with Matt H, Campbell, Rich and I a couple of weeks back at SSG. Then again everyone but me got hammered! AHAHAHAHAH! ;-)

                    Mark

                    Constantine von Hoffman wrote:

                    > for the record, i do not find Rob forgettable. he won two of the three
                    > games i played saturday night and nearly won the third--(stephenson's
                    > rocket) despite claiming not understand it for the first third of the
                    > game. grrrrrrrrrrrr.
                    >

                    > At 07:34 PM 4/2/01 +0000, you wrote:
                    > >Boy, I must be very forgettable - I keep finding myself referred to in these
                    > >posts after events as; "some guy who's name I can't remember" or something
                    > >similar.
                    > >
                    > >-Rob ... Rob ... Rob... :-0

                    If you're interested in board games and are located in the Eastern Mass area, check out Unity Games!