Re: [Unity_Games] SR: South Shore Gamers - March 31, 2001

    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 1, 2001
      AndAgainMA@... wrote:

      >The omission from your list of games played that I
      >could find was Drahtseilakt, which Aaron, Jonathan,
      >and I played toward the end of the session. Aaron
      >won in his first play of this game.

      Since this game really falls into the trick taking category
      (albeit a little more strange), Aaron seems to be good at these
      types of games! Wasn't it Aaron that bought a slew of Tichu
      decks?!? hehheh

      >Unusually, the highlight of the evening for me was a race game!
      >Aaron brought along a very nice version of Frank Branham's game,
      >Aquarium Derby (or Formula Fin). It's a little like RoboRally,
      >it's a lot like programming blown-glass fish.

      This looked very cool. I got a pic of it on the UG website but
      did not get feedback on the game itself. I saw a version of this
      last year and was very interested to see it actually played last
      night.

      >Scott brought along a very nice version of my game
      >Spiel & Deal, but it didn't get played at this particular session.

      We are hoping for Monday B&N to break in Scott's new set!

      dber@...
    • jsyedidia@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 1, 2001
        --- In Unity_Games@y..., Dave Bernazzani <dber@g...> wrote:
        > AndAgainMA@a... wrote:
        >
        > >The omission from your list of games played that I
        > >could find was Drahtseilakt, which Aaron, Jonathan,
        > >and I played toward the end of the session. Aaron
        > >won in his first play of this game.
        >
        > Since this game really falls into the trick taking category
        > (albeit a little more strange), Aaron seems to be good at these
        > types of games! Wasn't it Aaron that bought a slew of Tichu
        > decks?!? hehheh

        In fact Aaron seems to be good at every type of game. But I would have
        won if the 4 scoring card turned over before the 0 scoring card at the
        end instead of the other way around, so it was close! I like this game
        a lot but I don't really think it's a "trick-taking" game. There
        aren't any suits, and usually, taking a "trick" is a bad thing because
        it means you take sticks (of course, sometimes you want to do that)
        and have to start the next "trick" (which you never want to do in
        this game). I think it could just as well be considered an "auction"
        game, where you are "bidding" for red or blue sticks.

        Aaron made the good point when we were discussing the game afterwords
        that if you play with the variant where you only use the 1-27 cards
        for 3 players, you should keep the used cards open. Otherwise, the
        variant reduces luck, but mostly in favor of rewarding memory rather
        than rewarding tactical skill.

        Jonathan
      • Craig Massey
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 2, 2001
          --- In Unity_Games@y..., Dave Bernazzani <dber@g...> wrote:
          > Roll Call: Dave B, Scott, Noreen, Jenn, LaJean, Ben, Brian,
          > Aaron, Matt H, David H, Alison H, Constantine, Rob, Dave R,
          > Craig, Rich, Pat, Jonathan, Susan, Dick, Andrew, Tamara.

          > Pacal, Three for All, Rehinlander, Volltreffer, Siedler von Catan
          > - Alexander der Grosse & Cheops, Acquire (SS edition), Mystery
          > Rummy (#2 and the brand new #3 I believe), Taj Mahal, Knights,
          > Euphrat & Tigris, Mage Knights, NJet, Battle Line, Aquarium
          > Derby, Chrononauts, En Garde, Cribbage (3P cutthroat), Canasta
          > (4P Partners), Carabande and several others I know I missed.

          Add Stephonsens Rocket and Gang of Four to the list of games played as
          well.

          Quick synopsis of the games I participated in on Saturday.

          Mystery Rummy #2: The ongoing match of MR#2 between Pat & Dave vs.
          Alison and myself continued. Even at a game apiece from last week,
          Alison and I took and early lead after two hands including a 41 point
          shut out on hand one and then held on consistantly scoring 20+ points
          over the last three hands while Dave and Pat scored 30+ points but not
          enough to catch up before Alison and I broke 100.

          Gang of Four: While waiting for tables to finish up some longer
          games, the MR#2 group got in three hands of Gang of Four which is in
          the Karriere (sp?) Poker, Great Dalmuti, Tichu family of games. More
          on this in an impending WAGG report.

          Rheinlander - Jonathan, Rich M., Susan, Dave R., myself: A spin
          through the Rhine. Jonathan let Rich and Susan in on the rules which
          surprisingly for a Knizia game are a bit complicated compared to other
          Knizia games. I went with the many little duchies strategy and used
          Bastions to keep opposing Dukes on in in key spots and avoided fights.
          Jonathan made a late play to kick one of my dukes off the board, but
          I had the one card in my hand to get me back in the same duchy on my
          next turn. I ended up taking the victory with Susan second. Debate
          ensued after the game on its merits as a 5 player game and the amount
          of control one has. Its one of those games that I like player and
          almost never turn down though I think it is better with four players.
          You do lose a little control with five and the arch bishop becomes
          very tough to control with that many people.

          Volltreffer (Bullseye) - Susan, Dave, Rich M., Jonathan and myself: A
          trick taking game from Gunter Burkhardt (again more details in the
          upcoming WAGG SR). The basic idea is players are shooting for a end
          game score in the target range. This is done in two phases -
          auction/meld phase and trick taking phase. Rich stormed back on the
          last hand to steal the victory from Jonathan.

          Galloping Pigs - Rich, Dave R., myself: I stunk up the joint as Rich
          and Dave hogged all of the vegetables. I think Rich ended up on top
          of the pig pile.

          Stephensons Rocket - Rich M., Constantine, myself and one other person
          I can't remember, my apologies to whoever it was: New game for
          Constantine and mystery man. Tough one to play with players who have
          played before. Though as scores show, this didn't bear out. Rich
          took the victory with 67 bucks while Constantine and Mystery Man were
          at 62 and 60 and I limped along in the rear with 50. The game
          finished with 3 RRs on the board which was probably the main reason
          for what I think are relatively low scores.

          > NJET - With David, Jenn and Pat. This is a fairly strange trick
          > taking game where we get to choose (by process of elimination)
          > trump suit, start player, discards, scoring doublers, etc. Neat
          > but we only got in 2 rounds and decided to call it to let Alison
          > in on some gaming as her table had just finished up.

          Sorry to have missed this one - a favorite of mine. Also glad to see
          MR#3.
        • elkind_rob@emc.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 2, 2001
            Boy, I must be very forgettable - I keep finding myself referred to in these
            posts after events as; "some guy who's name I can't remember" or something
            similar.

            -Rob ... Rob ... Rob... :-0

            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 2, 2001
              > Boy, I must be very forgettable - I keep finding myself referred to in
              these
              > posts after events as; "some guy who's name I can't remember" or
              > something similar.
              >
              > -Rob ... Rob ... Rob... :-0

              Hehheh... It's hard being the new guy Rob! With 20-25 gamers at the SSG it
              does get difficult to remember new people (it takes me at least 2 sessions
              of seeing someone to lock in the name). It's now easy for me to remember
              your name - you're the guy that brought those very addicting chocolate-chip
              mini cookies.

              On a positive note - now that I know who you are, I've gone back and updated
              the names above the session report pictures.

              By the way, I'm moving many of my archived pics for Unity Games I and Unity
              Games II to:

              http://www.geocities.com/dbergis/

              dber@...
            • Craig Massey
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 2, 2001
                --- elkind_rob@... wrote:
                > Boy, I must be very forgettable - I keep finding
                > myself referred to in these
                > posts after events as; "some guy who's name I can't
                > remember" or something
                > similar.
                >
                > -Rob ... Rob ... Rob... :-0

                My sincerest apologies Phil. I pride my self in never
                forgetting a name. ;-)

                Craig

                =====
                Craig W. Massey
                cwmassey@...

              • Richard Spoonts
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 2, 2001
                  Rob,

                  I remember you. We played Battle Line, San Marco, and
                  Lotus at the previous SSG as well as a couple of
                  things at UG2. Maybe I should start writing session
                  reports. :-)

                  Richard

                  --- elkind_rob@... wrote:
                  > Boy, I must be very forgettable - I keep finding
                  > myself referred to in these
                  > posts after events as; "some guy who's name I can't
                  > remember" or something
                  > similar.
                  >
                  > -Rob ... Rob ... Rob... :-0

                • Constantine von Hoffman
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 2, 2001
                    for the record, i do not find Rob forgettable. he won two of the three
                    games i played saturday night and nearly won the third--(stephenson's
                    rocket) despite claiming not understand it for the first third of the
                    game. grrrrrrrrrrrr.

                    At 07:34 PM 4/2/01 +0000, you wrote:
                    >Boy, I must be very forgettable - I keep finding myself referred to in these
                    >posts after events as; "some guy who's name I can't remember" or something
                    >similar.
                    >
                    >-Rob ... Rob ... Rob... :-0
                  • Mark Edwards
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 2, 2001
                      And either do I, although he did get completely hammered in a game of Traumfabrik with Matt H, Campbell, Rich and I a couple of weeks back at SSG. Then again everyone but me got hammered! AHAHAHAHAH! ;-)

                      Mark

                      Constantine von Hoffman wrote:

                      > for the record, i do not find Rob forgettable. he won two of the three
                      > games i played saturday night and nearly won the third--(stephenson's
                      > rocket) despite claiming not understand it for the first third of the
                      > game. grrrrrrrrrrrr.
                      >

                      > At 07:34 PM 4/2/01 +0000, you wrote:
                      > >Boy, I must be very forgettable - I keep finding myself referred to in these
                      > >posts after events as; "some guy who's name I can't remember" or something
                      > >similar.
                      > >
                      > >-Rob ... Rob ... Rob... :-0

                      If you're interested in board games and are located in the Eastern Mass area, check out Unity Games!