Re: [Unity_Games] SR: South Shore Gamers - March 31, 2001

  • AndAgainMA@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 31, 2001
      An impressively fast SR, Dave!

      The omission from your list of games played that I could find was
      Drahtseilakt, which Aaron, Jonathan, and I played toward the end of the
      session. Aaron won in his first play of this game.

      Unusually, the highlight of the evening for me was a race game! Aaron brought
      along a very nice version of Frank Branham's game, Aquarium Derby (or Formula
      Fin). It's a little like RoboRally, it's a lot like programming blown-glass
      fish.

      Scott brought along a very nice version of my game Spiel & Deal, but it
      didn't get played at this particular session. Another achievement for Scott
      was a runaway victory in his first game of Taj Mahal. He kept on getting lots
      of stuff for a card or two. Perhaps this was the fault of the idiot to his
      immediate right (me). Tamara was in second place, the other three players
      weren't really anywhere.

      Thanks to all who contributed to the fun,

      Andrew.

      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 1, 2001
        AndAgainMA@... wrote:

        >The omission from your list of games played that I
        >could find was Drahtseilakt, which Aaron, Jonathan,
        >and I played toward the end of the session. Aaron
        >won in his first play of this game.

        Since this game really falls into the trick taking category
        (albeit a little more strange), Aaron seems to be good at these
        types of games! Wasn't it Aaron that bought a slew of Tichu
        decks?!? hehheh

        >Unusually, the highlight of the evening for me was a race game!
        >Aaron brought along a very nice version of Frank Branham's game,
        >Aquarium Derby (or Formula Fin). It's a little like RoboRally,
        >it's a lot like programming blown-glass fish.

        This looked very cool. I got a pic of it on the UG website but
        did not get feedback on the game itself. I saw a version of this
        last year and was very interested to see it actually played last
        night.

        >Scott brought along a very nice version of my game
        >Spiel & Deal, but it didn't get played at this particular session.

        We are hoping for Monday B&N to break in Scott's new set!

        dber@...
      • jsyedidia@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 1, 2001
          --- In Unity_Games@y..., Dave Bernazzani <dber@g...> wrote:
          > AndAgainMA@a... wrote:
          >
          > >The omission from your list of games played that I
          > >could find was Drahtseilakt, which Aaron, Jonathan,
          > >and I played toward the end of the session. Aaron
          > >won in his first play of this game.
          >
          > Since this game really falls into the trick taking category
          > (albeit a little more strange), Aaron seems to be good at these
          > types of games! Wasn't it Aaron that bought a slew of Tichu
          > decks?!? hehheh

          In fact Aaron seems to be good at every type of game. But I would have
          won if the 4 scoring card turned over before the 0 scoring card at the
          end instead of the other way around, so it was close! I like this game
          a lot but I don't really think it's a "trick-taking" game. There
          aren't any suits, and usually, taking a "trick" is a bad thing because
          it means you take sticks (of course, sometimes you want to do that)
          and have to start the next "trick" (which you never want to do in
          this game). I think it could just as well be considered an "auction"
          game, where you are "bidding" for red or blue sticks.

          Aaron made the good point when we were discussing the game afterwords
          that if you play with the variant where you only use the 1-27 cards
          for 3 players, you should keep the used cards open. Otherwise, the
          variant reduces luck, but mostly in favor of rewarding memory rather
          than rewarding tactical skill.

          Jonathan
        • Craig Massey
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 2, 2001
            --- In Unity_Games@y..., Dave Bernazzani <dber@g...> wrote:
            > Roll Call: Dave B, Scott, Noreen, Jenn, LaJean, Ben, Brian,
            > Aaron, Matt H, David H, Alison H, Constantine, Rob, Dave R,
            > Craig, Rich, Pat, Jonathan, Susan, Dick, Andrew, Tamara.

            > Pacal, Three for All, Rehinlander, Volltreffer, Siedler von Catan
            > - Alexander der Grosse & Cheops, Acquire (SS edition), Mystery
            > Rummy (#2 and the brand new #3 I believe), Taj Mahal, Knights,
            > Euphrat & Tigris, Mage Knights, NJet, Battle Line, Aquarium
            > Derby, Chrononauts, En Garde, Cribbage (3P cutthroat), Canasta
            > (4P Partners), Carabande and several others I know I missed.

            Add Stephonsens Rocket and Gang of Four to the list of games played as
            well.

            Quick synopsis of the games I participated in on Saturday.

            Mystery Rummy #2: The ongoing match of MR#2 between Pat & Dave vs.
            Alison and myself continued. Even at a game apiece from last week,
            Alison and I took and early lead after two hands including a 41 point
            shut out on hand one and then held on consistantly scoring 20+ points
            over the last three hands while Dave and Pat scored 30+ points but not
            enough to catch up before Alison and I broke 100.

            Gang of Four: While waiting for tables to finish up some longer
            games, the MR#2 group got in three hands of Gang of Four which is in
            the Karriere (sp?) Poker, Great Dalmuti, Tichu family of games. More
            on this in an impending WAGG report.

            Rheinlander - Jonathan, Rich M., Susan, Dave R., myself: A spin
            through the Rhine. Jonathan let Rich and Susan in on the rules which
            surprisingly for a Knizia game are a bit complicated compared to other
            Knizia games. I went with the many little duchies strategy and used
            Bastions to keep opposing Dukes on in in key spots and avoided fights.
            Jonathan made a late play to kick one of my dukes off the board, but
            I had the one card in my hand to get me back in the same duchy on my
            next turn. I ended up taking the victory with Susan second. Debate
            ensued after the game on its merits as a 5 player game and the amount
            of control one has. Its one of those games that I like player and
            almost never turn down though I think it is better with four players.
            You do lose a little control with five and the arch bishop becomes
            very tough to control with that many people.

            Volltreffer (Bullseye) - Susan, Dave, Rich M., Jonathan and myself: A
            trick taking game from Gunter Burkhardt (again more details in the
            upcoming WAGG SR). The basic idea is players are shooting for a end
            game score in the target range. This is done in two phases -
            auction/meld phase and trick taking phase. Rich stormed back on the
            last hand to steal the victory from Jonathan.

            Galloping Pigs - Rich, Dave R., myself: I stunk up the joint as Rich
            and Dave hogged all of the vegetables. I think Rich ended up on top
            of the pig pile.

            Stephensons Rocket - Rich M., Constantine, myself and one other person
            I can't remember, my apologies to whoever it was: New game for
            Constantine and mystery man. Tough one to play with players who have
            played before. Though as scores show, this didn't bear out. Rich
            took the victory with 67 bucks while Constantine and Mystery Man were
            at 62 and 60 and I limped along in the rear with 50. The game
            finished with 3 RRs on the board which was probably the main reason
            for what I think are relatively low scores.

            > NJET - With David, Jenn and Pat. This is a fairly strange trick
            > taking game where we get to choose (by process of elimination)
            > trump suit, start player, discards, scoring doublers, etc. Neat
            > but we only got in 2 rounds and decided to call it to let Alison
            > in on some gaming as her table had just finished up.

            Sorry to have missed this one - a favorite of mine. Also glad to see
            MR#3.
          • elkind_rob@emc.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 2, 2001
              Boy, I must be very forgettable - I keep finding myself referred to in these
              posts after events as; "some guy who's name I can't remember" or something
              similar.

              -Rob ... Rob ... Rob... :-0

              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 2, 2001
                > Boy, I must be very forgettable - I keep finding myself referred to in
                these
                > posts after events as; "some guy who's name I can't remember" or
                > something similar.
                >
                > -Rob ... Rob ... Rob... :-0

                Hehheh... It's hard being the new guy Rob! With 20-25 gamers at the SSG it
                does get difficult to remember new people (it takes me at least 2 sessions
                of seeing someone to lock in the name). It's now easy for me to remember
                your name - you're the guy that brought those very addicting chocolate-chip
                mini cookies.

                On a positive note - now that I know who you are, I've gone back and updated
                the names above the session report pictures.

                By the way, I'm moving many of my archived pics for Unity Games I and Unity
                Games II to:

                http://www.geocities.com/dbergis/

                dber@...
              • Craig Massey
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 2, 2001
                  --- elkind_rob@... wrote:
                  > Boy, I must be very forgettable - I keep finding
                  > myself referred to in these
                  > posts after events as; "some guy who's name I can't
                  > remember" or something
                  > similar.
                  >
                  > -Rob ... Rob ... Rob... :-0

                  My sincerest apologies Phil. I pride my self in never
                  forgetting a name. ;-)

                  Craig

                  =====
                  Craig W. Massey
                  cwmassey@...

                • Richard Spoonts
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 2, 2001
                    Rob,

                    I remember you. We played Battle Line, San Marco, and
                    Lotus at the previous SSG as well as a couple of
                    things at UG2. Maybe I should start writing session
                    reports. :-)

                    Richard

                    --- elkind_rob@... wrote:
                    > Boy, I must be very forgettable - I keep finding
                    > myself referred to in these
                    > posts after events as; "some guy who's name I can't
                    > remember" or something
                    > similar.
                    >
                    > -Rob ... Rob ... Rob... :-0

                  • Constantine von Hoffman
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 2, 2001
                      for the record, i do not find Rob forgettable. he won two of the three
                      games i played saturday night and nearly won the third--(stephenson's
                      rocket) despite claiming not understand it for the first third of the
                      game. grrrrrrrrrrrr.

                      At 07:34 PM 4/2/01 +0000, you wrote:
                      >Boy, I must be very forgettable - I keep finding myself referred to in these
                      >posts after events as; "some guy who's name I can't remember" or something
                      >similar.
                      >
                      >-Rob ... Rob ... Rob... :-0
                    • Mark Edwards
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 2, 2001
                        And either do I, although he did get completely hammered in a game of Traumfabrik with Matt H, Campbell, Rich and I a couple of weeks back at SSG. Then again everyone but me got hammered! AHAHAHAHAH! ;-)

                        Mark

                        Constantine von Hoffman wrote:

                        > for the record, i do not find Rob forgettable. he won two of the three
                        > games i played saturday night and nearly won the third--(stephenson's
                        > rocket) despite claiming not understand it for the first third of the
                        > game. grrrrrrrrrrrr.
                        >

                        > At 07:34 PM 4/2/01 +0000, you wrote:
                        > >Boy, I must be very forgettable - I keep finding myself referred to in these
                        > >posts after events as; "some guy who's name I can't remember" or something
                        > >similar.
                        > >
                        > >-Rob ... Rob ... Rob... :-0

                        If you're interested in board games and are located in the Eastern Mass area, check out Unity Games!