SR: South Shore Gamers - March 31, 2001

    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 31, 2001
      Big turnout again last night for the South Shore Gamers. We had
      22 people this week (down from the high-water mark of 25 last
      week) and another new gamer visiting the SSG for the first time.

      No Mark this week - his first miss at the new venue. I'm the
      last surviving - with a host of people who have made it all but
      one week and about 35 people now that have made it at least once.

      First off a bit of apologies - after a very rough start to the
      weekend and more bailing of water I was not at my usual high
      excitement level. I tried hard to keep up spirits - and
      hopefully my lack of enthusiasm on this particular night didn't
      diminish the fun for people. It was definitely a much needed
      game session for me as it rejuvenated the batteries slightly!

      Roll Call: Dave B, Scott, Noreen, Jenn, LaJean, Ben, Brian,
      Aaron, Matt H, David H, Alison H, Constantine, Rob, Dave R,
      Craig, Rich, Pat, Jonathan, Susan, Dick, Andrew, Tamara.

      A record 6 female gamers tonight.

      Games Played: Who knows anymore! Someone will have to help with
      the fills, but at least these were played:

      Pacal, Three for All, Rehinlander, Volltreffer, Siedler von Catan
      - Alexander der Grosse & Cheops, Acquire (SS edition), Mystery
      Rummy (#2 and the brand new #3 I believe), Taj Mahal, Knights,
      Euphrat & Tigris, Mage Knights, NJet, Battle Line, Aquarium
      Derby, Chrononauts, En Garde, Cribbage (3P cutthroat), Canasta
      (4P Partners), Carabande and several others I know I missed.

      Games I played:

      THREE FOR ALL - My new word game acquisition. I played this for
      the first time at UG2 and really liked it. The object is to have
      the reader give clues to have the players guess three different
      related words. Once any player guesses the bond between these
      three words they buzz in and score (or get penalized if they are
      wrong). For example, the words "FLAG", "MAY" and "NORTH" are all
      POLES! We had teams - and since we started the evening with this
      game people could come and go as they arrived and/or found other
      tables to game at. Jenn, Aaron and I anchored one side of the
      table. We won our first game easily - then the other table of
      Ben, LaJean split (LaJean stayed) and Andrew and Tamara joined in
      along with Brian. Team Jenn/Aaron/Dave B took another victory
      lap after the 2nd game. I think I like the individual play that
      Pitt showed us at UG2 but the team game was also fun.

      KNIGHTS - A very short and very light 3P game of Knights. My
      first play and I was joined by fellow Knights newbies Aaron and
      Matt H. This game went off just as predicted - 20 minutes of
      chaos with the three of us rolling dice to capture various castle
      cards, tournament cards and other special cards. It moves
      quickly and is really quite the dice rolling fest - but it was
      fun and generated some laughs and was finished before we knew it.
      I have no problem with such a light and random game in this
      format - I don't think it pretends to be more than it is. I
      thought it was a fine filler and I look forward to playing again.
      If it keeps to 20 minutes or less, I'll be very pleased with the
      game. Matt took an early lead - and Aaron and I started to steal
      his cards as quickly as we could! But Matt had too many special
      cards built-up and used them to take his 4th colored castle and
      the easy win. Aaron had a terrible string of luck rolling 6's
      (basically zero value) most of the game. I had a chance to take
      more of Matt's cards but came up short on two critical turns.

      MAGE KNIGHTS - Pat and I had been wanting to play this
      minis-light game for some time. We have some pics of this to
      show the cool minis. But the gameplay was a bit off the mark for
      me. The free-form movement seemed nice but I really wasn't sure
      where to position my guys - and it eventually came down to a
      serious slug fest (which, admittedly, was very fun). We got one
      rule wrong on the first couple of attack rounds - and were not
      dealing as much damage as we should. Measuring distances with
      the little flexible ruler was neat - and the step-damage by
      rotating the minis base was clever but overall I felt the combat
      was the most fun. Formations and attacks from behind were useful
      even in our small army match up (100 point armies - basically the
      smallest you can have). Fun but nothing I'm too excited about.
      Maybe I'll learn more strategies on future plays. Pat seemed to
      feel a little better about the gameplay than I did.

      NJET - With David, Jenn and Pat. This is a fairly strange trick
      taking game where we get to choose (by process of elimination)
      trump suit, start player, discards, scoring doublers, etc. Neat
      but we only got in 2 rounds and decided to call it to let Alison
      in on some gaming as her table had just finished up.

      CARABANDE - Finger flicking good. Scott, Dick and I (and latter
      Dave R) got to flick our little wooden cars around the track. I
      took the first game narrowly over Scott. Dave R took the 2nd
      game if I remember correctly. A very neat game but I think a 2nd
      track to elongate the straightaways is a must!

      CANASTA - A light 4 player game to finish the evening. It's the
      type of game that you play during conversation with friends - not
      very heavy and designed to tax you only minimally. Jenn and I
      always like Canasta but Alison and David were not big fans. But
      the conversation was very pleasant!

      That's all that I played. Thanks again to all who came. Dave
      and Pat got to play Pacal and initial impressions were that it
      was light but good (and I agree). The new Mystery Rummy #3 was
      well received. Will wait for comments on the others! Other
      special notes - at one point we had the entire room playing
      nothing but card games. Just worked out that way - it wasn't
      planned (although Alison took a nice photo of the strange
      coincidence). Missed my chance to play Chrononauts. I think
      Brian did too - next time Brian!

      PHOTOS OF THE SESSION:

      And go to the "SSG-Mar 31, 2001" folder for the new pics.

      dber@...
    • AndAgainMA@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 31, 2001
        An impressively fast SR, Dave!

        The omission from your list of games played that I could find was
        Drahtseilakt, which Aaron, Jonathan, and I played toward the end of the
        session. Aaron won in his first play of this game.

        Unusually, the highlight of the evening for me was a race game! Aaron brought
        along a very nice version of Frank Branham's game, Aquarium Derby (or Formula
        Fin). It's a little like RoboRally, it's a lot like programming blown-glass
        fish.

        Scott brought along a very nice version of my game Spiel & Deal, but it
        didn't get played at this particular session. Another achievement for Scott
        was a runaway victory in his first game of Taj Mahal. He kept on getting lots
        of stuff for a card or two. Perhaps this was the fault of the idiot to his
        immediate right (me). Tamara was in second place, the other three players
        weren't really anywhere.

        Thanks to all who contributed to the fun,

        Andrew.

        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 1 7:14 AM
          AndAgainMA@... wrote:

          >The omission from your list of games played that I
          >could find was Drahtseilakt, which Aaron, Jonathan,
          >and I played toward the end of the session. Aaron
          >won in his first play of this game.

          Since this game really falls into the trick taking category
          (albeit a little more strange), Aaron seems to be good at these
          types of games! Wasn't it Aaron that bought a slew of Tichu
          decks?!? hehheh

          >Unusually, the highlight of the evening for me was a race game!
          >Aaron brought along a very nice version of Frank Branham's game,
          >Aquarium Derby (or Formula Fin). It's a little like RoboRally,
          >it's a lot like programming blown-glass fish.

          This looked very cool. I got a pic of it on the UG website but
          did not get feedback on the game itself. I saw a version of this
          last year and was very interested to see it actually played last
          night.

          >Scott brought along a very nice version of my game
          >Spiel & Deal, but it didn't get played at this particular session.

          We are hoping for Monday B&N to break in Scott's new set!

          dber@...
        • jsyedidia@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 1 10:04 AM
            --- In Unity_Games@y..., Dave Bernazzani <dber@g...> wrote:
            > AndAgainMA@a... wrote:
            >
            > >The omission from your list of games played that I
            > >could find was Drahtseilakt, which Aaron, Jonathan,
            > >and I played toward the end of the session. Aaron
            > >won in his first play of this game.
            >
            > Since this game really falls into the trick taking category
            > (albeit a little more strange), Aaron seems to be good at these
            > types of games! Wasn't it Aaron that bought a slew of Tichu
            > decks?!? hehheh

            In fact Aaron seems to be good at every type of game. But I would have
            won if the 4 scoring card turned over before the 0 scoring card at the
            end instead of the other way around, so it was close! I like this game
            a lot but I don't really think it's a "trick-taking" game. There
            aren't any suits, and usually, taking a "trick" is a bad thing because
            it means you take sticks (of course, sometimes you want to do that)
            and have to start the next "trick" (which you never want to do in
            this game). I think it could just as well be considered an "auction"
            game, where you are "bidding" for red or blue sticks.

            Aaron made the good point when we were discussing the game afterwords
            that if you play with the variant where you only use the 1-27 cards
            for 3 players, you should keep the used cards open. Otherwise, the
            variant reduces luck, but mostly in favor of rewarding memory rather
            than rewarding tactical skill.

            Jonathan
          • Craig Massey
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 2 6:45 AM
              --- In Unity_Games@y..., Dave Bernazzani <dber@g...> wrote:
              > Roll Call: Dave B, Scott, Noreen, Jenn, LaJean, Ben, Brian,
              > Aaron, Matt H, David H, Alison H, Constantine, Rob, Dave R,
              > Craig, Rich, Pat, Jonathan, Susan, Dick, Andrew, Tamara.

              > Pacal, Three for All, Rehinlander, Volltreffer, Siedler von Catan
              > - Alexander der Grosse & Cheops, Acquire (SS edition), Mystery
              > Rummy (#2 and the brand new #3 I believe), Taj Mahal, Knights,
              > Euphrat & Tigris, Mage Knights, NJet, Battle Line, Aquarium
              > Derby, Chrononauts, En Garde, Cribbage (3P cutthroat), Canasta
              > (4P Partners), Carabande and several others I know I missed.

              Add Stephonsens Rocket and Gang of Four to the list of games played as
              well.

              Quick synopsis of the games I participated in on Saturday.

              Mystery Rummy #2: The ongoing match of MR#2 between Pat & Dave vs.
              Alison and myself continued. Even at a game apiece from last week,
              Alison and I took and early lead after two hands including a 41 point
              shut out on hand one and then held on consistantly scoring 20+ points
              over the last three hands while Dave and Pat scored 30+ points but not
              enough to catch up before Alison and I broke 100.

              Gang of Four: While waiting for tables to finish up some longer
              games, the MR#2 group got in three hands of Gang of Four which is in
              the Karriere (sp?) Poker, Great Dalmuti, Tichu family of games. More
              on this in an impending WAGG report.

              Rheinlander - Jonathan, Rich M., Susan, Dave R., myself: A spin
              through the Rhine. Jonathan let Rich and Susan in on the rules which
              surprisingly for a Knizia game are a bit complicated compared to other
              Knizia games. I went with the many little duchies strategy and used
              Bastions to keep opposing Dukes on in in key spots and avoided fights.
              Jonathan made a late play to kick one of my dukes off the board, but
              I had the one card in my hand to get me back in the same duchy on my
              next turn. I ended up taking the victory with Susan second. Debate
              ensued after the game on its merits as a 5 player game and the amount
              of control one has. Its one of those games that I like player and
              almost never turn down though I think it is better with four players.
              You do lose a little control with five and the arch bishop becomes
              very tough to control with that many people.

              Volltreffer (Bullseye) - Susan, Dave, Rich M., Jonathan and myself: A
              trick taking game from Gunter Burkhardt (again more details in the
              upcoming WAGG SR). The basic idea is players are shooting for a end
              game score in the target range. This is done in two phases -
              auction/meld phase and trick taking phase. Rich stormed back on the
              last hand to steal the victory from Jonathan.

              Galloping Pigs - Rich, Dave R., myself: I stunk up the joint as Rich
              and Dave hogged all of the vegetables. I think Rich ended up on top
              of the pig pile.

              Stephensons Rocket - Rich M., Constantine, myself and one other person
              I can't remember, my apologies to whoever it was: New game for
              Constantine and mystery man. Tough one to play with players who have
              played before. Though as scores show, this didn't bear out. Rich
              took the victory with 67 bucks while Constantine and Mystery Man were
              at 62 and 60 and I limped along in the rear with 50. The game
              finished with 3 RRs on the board which was probably the main reason
              for what I think are relatively low scores.

              > NJET - With David, Jenn and Pat. This is a fairly strange trick
              > taking game where we get to choose (by process of elimination)
              > trump suit, start player, discards, scoring doublers, etc. Neat
              > but we only got in 2 rounds and decided to call it to let Alison
              > in on some gaming as her table had just finished up.

              Sorry to have missed this one - a favorite of mine. Also glad to see
              MR#3.
            • elkind_rob@emc.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 2 8:16 AM
                Boy, I must be very forgettable - I keep finding myself referred to in these
                posts after events as; "some guy who's name I can't remember" or something
                similar.

                -Rob ... Rob ... Rob... :-0

                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 2 8:28 AM
                  > Boy, I must be very forgettable - I keep finding myself referred to in
                  these
                  > posts after events as; "some guy who's name I can't remember" or
                  > something similar.
                  >
                  > -Rob ... Rob ... Rob... :-0

                  Hehheh... It's hard being the new guy Rob! With 20-25 gamers at the SSG it
                  does get difficult to remember new people (it takes me at least 2 sessions
                  of seeing someone to lock in the name). It's now easy for me to remember
                  your name - you're the guy that brought those very addicting chocolate-chip
                  mini cookies.

                  On a positive note - now that I know who you are, I've gone back and updated
                  the names above the session report pictures.

                  By the way, I'm moving many of my archived pics for Unity Games I and Unity
                  Games II to:

                  http://www.geocities.com/dbergis/

                  dber@...
                • Craig Massey
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 2 8:28 AM
                    --- elkind_rob@... wrote:
                    > Boy, I must be very forgettable - I keep finding
                    > myself referred to in these
                    > posts after events as; "some guy who's name I can't
                    > remember" or something
                    > similar.
                    >
                    > -Rob ... Rob ... Rob... :-0

                    My sincerest apologies Phil. I pride my self in never
                    forgetting a name. ;-)

                    Craig

                    =====
                    Craig W. Massey
                    cwmassey@...

                  • Richard Spoonts
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 2 9:08 AM
                      Rob,

                      I remember you. We played Battle Line, San Marco, and
                      Lotus at the previous SSG as well as a couple of
                      things at UG2. Maybe I should start writing session
                      reports. :-)

                      Richard

                      --- elkind_rob@... wrote:
                      > Boy, I must be very forgettable - I keep finding
                      > myself referred to in these
                      > posts after events as; "some guy who's name I can't
                      > remember" or something
                      > similar.
                      >
                      > -Rob ... Rob ... Rob... :-0

                    • Constantine von Hoffman
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 2 12:51 PM
                        for the record, i do not find Rob forgettable. he won two of the three
                        games i played saturday night and nearly won the third--(stephenson's
                        rocket) despite claiming not understand it for the first third of the
                        game. grrrrrrrrrrrr.

                        At 07:34 PM 4/2/01 +0000, you wrote:
                        >Boy, I must be very forgettable - I keep finding myself referred to in these
                        >posts after events as; "some guy who's name I can't remember" or something
                        >similar.
                        >
                        >-Rob ... Rob ... Rob... :-0
                      • Mark Edwards
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 2 12:57 PM
                          And either do I, although he did get completely hammered in a game of Traumfabrik with Matt H, Campbell, Rich and I a couple of weeks back at SSG. Then again everyone but me got hammered! AHAHAHAHAH! ;-)

                          Mark

                          Constantine von Hoffman wrote:

                          > for the record, i do not find Rob forgettable. he won two of the three
                          > games i played saturday night and nearly won the third--(stephenson's
                          > rocket) despite claiming not understand it for the first third of the
                          > game. grrrrrrrrrrrr.
                          >

                          > At 07:34 PM 4/2/01 +0000, you wrote:
                          > >Boy, I must be very forgettable - I keep finding myself referred to in these
                          > >posts after events as; "some guy who's name I can't remember" or something
                          > >similar.
                          > >
                          > >-Rob ... Rob ... Rob... :-0

                          If you're interested in board games and are located in the Eastern Mass area, check out Unity Games!