Re: [Unity_Games] B&N Gaming - July 31, 2000

    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 2, 2000
      "pldr" <pldr@...> wrote:
      >It was a bidding game...had some kind of clock.
      >Merchants of Amsterdam?
      >You wrote that I consistently way overbid.

      Yes, I remember. The point should have been made that most
      people were overpaying. In my 6+ games and reading lots of
      commentary there is a break-even point which is much lower than
      $150 - because the best any one area can generate for you is $100
      except at the end when it's $200. If you take a tile for $160
      and only get $100 for it, you lost money (yes, there are bonuses,
      but overall there are other ways to get those). Of course if
      everyone is bidding $150 then you can do well at that price
      range. I have won more than half my games by only taking one or
      two auctions for $130 (which again is too much except that
      everyone else is paying $150). The last game I played at the
      North Shore Group, I won by $10 and I *never* won a single
      auction - not once. And I didn't play particular well - but
      everyone else was simply paying too much for the auctions and
      they were losing ground (in the $150 range).

      But you are right, since everyone (except me) was bidding high,
      your strategy was fine. It assured you 2nd place.

      dber@...