Re: [Unity_Games] Re: Rheinlander?

  • Craig Massey
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2000
      It is easy to educate yourself on a game before
      purchase today - thanks to the internet and email. I
      almost always have a good idea about a game before it
      is bought and I know the reviewers that tend to have
      the same game tastes as I. Greg S. tastes run very
      similar and it seems that Alison's do too (although I
      reserve judgment on UP until I play a few more times)

      And scary as it may sound, it seems like Dave's game
      tastes run the same spectrum as mine - although I like
      longer games and negotiation games (note liking does
      not equal playing them well as evidenced by my pitiful
      performance at KK&K two weeks in a row)

      I haven't gotten a handle on Mark's tastes yet - they
      seem all over the map which is fine with me though.
      anyway, finding a reviewer who shares tastes is a
      great way to keep ahead and avoid stinkers. Of course
      ther are always games that I will buy no matter what
      the reviews say because I have got to see for myself.
      Usually knizia's stuff, card games under $10, and
      anything that is limited (damn collector in me).

      If you can read the rules, you can get a good sense if
      the game has some tried and true mechanics as well.
      --- Dave Bernazzani <dber@...> wrote:

      > I think after reading reviews, and reading about the
      > mechanics I
      > felt that it was a lighter tile laying game that
      > might not hold
      > up as well as Samurai, E&T or DdW (all heavy
      > favorites of mine)
      > in the years to come. I'll reserve final judgement
      > until
      > playing, but for now I've not shelled out the cash
      > for it (it's
      > rather expensive - $32/$33). Even *I* have game
      > buying limits!
      >
      > I'm actually rather amazed at how many games I have
      > that I truly
      > enjoy - hardly any bad games. I suppose it has a
      > lot to do with
      > being able to read reviews, ongoing session reports
      > (which also
      > show the ability for a game to hold up over time)
      > and sometimes
      > the mechanics/rules are available online (Rio Grande
      > Games puts
      > game rules on their website). I usually know ahead
      > of time if I
      > will like a particular game.
      >
      > --
      > Dave Bernazzani
      > dber@...
      > http://www.gis.net/~dber (South Shore Gamers)
      >

      > Web page for Unity Games member database, files,
      > polls, etc.
      > http://www.egroups.com/group/Unity_Games
      >
      > To UNSUBSCRIBE from The Unity Games mailing list,
      > please send an email to:
      > Unity Games page above and Unsubscribe from there.

      =====
      Craig W. Massey
      cwmassey@...

      http://invites.yahoo.com/
    • Craig Massey
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1, 2000
        --- Dave Bernazzani <dber@...> wrote:
        > I'm actually rather amazed at how many games I have
        > that I truly
        > enjoy - hardly any bad games.

        What are some examples of games that you don't like
        dave. I realize negotiation games don't hold a
        special place in your heart, but are them some games
        that you just cringe when they hit the table and avoid
        like a bad rash?

        =====
        Craig W. Massey
        cwmassey@...

        http://invites.yahoo.com/
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 1, 2000
          Craig Massey <cwmassey@...> wrote:
          >What are some examples of games that you don't like
          >dave. I realize negotiation games don't hold a
          >special place in your heart, but are them some games
          >that you just cringe when they hit the table and avoid
          >like a bad rash?

          Hmmmm... In my collection or in general? Well - games I own that
          I don't like would be AH _We the People_ - I can see why people
          really like this game, but I found it a bit fidly and a bit too
          long. Got it cheap so I have kept it, but will probably
          sell/trade it someday soon. More recently, I've not enjoyed Lord
          of the Leprechauns :)

          I disliked my one and only playing of Medici. I realize one
          playing is not enough, but it was rather dreadful for me. I will
          give it another shot, but if it doesn't improve it will also hit
          my sale/trade pile (which, by the way, contains no games as of
          yet!!). But I *love* Modern Art. My first playing was with Mark
          and he did a great job teaching us and it was a rather rousing
          playing of that classic.

          For games I don't own...

          KK und K is not my favorite game since I'm not too keen on pure
          negotiation games - but it has improved a bit for me.

          Long games are usually a big disappointment for me. La Cita was
          too long for my tastes.

          Dirk Henn's Timbuktu was not great - Joe Huber teaches this to
          any unsuspecting newcomers he can. He loves it - my brain melted
          as it was just too convoluted for my tastes.

          I was not fond of AH Rail Baron mainly due to the length and the
          repetitiveness of the game.

          I'm sure there are others... but most games I've played have been
          excellent.

          dber@...
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 1, 2000
            Craig Massey <cwmassey@...> wrote:

            >And scary as it may sound, it seems like Dave's game
            >tastes run the same spectrum as mine - although I like
            >longer games and negotiation games (note liking does

            Scary? I actually thought our tastes ran rather similar. Most
            people who have come to the SSG more than a few times clearly
            like a similar German/Euro style of games.

            dber@...
          • Craig Massey
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 2, 2000
              --- Dave Bernazzani <dber@...> wrote:

              > Scary? I actually thought our tastes ran rather
              > similar. Most
              > people who have come to the SSG more than a few
              > times clearly
              > like a similar German/Euro style of games.

              Absolutely - german games are the top of my list - I
              was thinking of specific games and the reviews you
              have written. Our tastes are very similar - almost in
              an eerie (that would have been better than scary)sort
              of way - outside of the negotiation and longish games
              - I bet you would hard pressed to name a game that you
              like that I don't.

              With respect to games that I don't like (ones that I
              have played more than once or twice so Ra and UP don't
              count yet)- I can give a list that would include -
              Throneworld (this game irritates me during the set up
              phase), Rail Baron (I can't believe its considered a
              classic by some), Minister (this is an awful german
              game) - and I'm sure there are a few others.

              Craig

              =====
              Craig W. Massey
              cwmassey@...