Re: [Unity_Games] Re: Rheinlander?

  • Craig Massey
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1 5:44 PM
      I would agree with Alison - Rheinlander is a fine
      game. Maybe not up to E&T or Taj Mahal when looking
      at Knizia's games as a body of work, but the tile play
      is interesting and scoring is as well (a knizia
      trademark it seems). The one drawback I see with this
      game is the cards which can be a bit too luck driven,
      but the game does a reasonble job of allowing you to
      use bad cards for other purposes.

      I'd be up for this game too.
      --- Alison Hansel <maarnett@...> wrote:
      > Mark Edwards <dangermouse@m...> wrote:
      > >
      > > I was reading a session report from a group in the
      > UK that was
      > highly
      > > favorable of Rheinlander.
      > >Lo
      > > and behold I came upon *another* review from
      > "Alison from New
      > York", who
      > > gave it 4 out of 5 stars, thumbing her nose at
      > those nay-sayers!
      > ;-)
      > >
      > > Alison, do you own a copy of this game? If so
      > could you bring it
      > along
      > > to some future game session?
      >

      > I sure do. I sure can.
      >
      > I'm going to have to stop submitting reviews now
      > that I
      > know some people are out there reading them!
      >
      > --Alison

      =====
      Craig W. Massey
      cwmassey@...

      http://invites.yahoo.com/
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1 6:35 PM
        Craig Massey <cwmassey@...> wrote:

        >I would agree with Alison - Rheinlander is a fine
        >game. Maybe not up to E&T or Taj Mahal when looking
        >at Knizia's games as a body of work, but the tile play
        >is interesting and scoring is as well (a knizia
        >trademark it seems). The one drawback I see with this
        >game is the cards which can be a bit too luck driven,
        >but the game does a reasonble job of allowing you to
        >use bad cards for other purposes.

        I think after reading reviews, and reading about the mechanics I
        felt that it was a lighter tile laying game that might not hold
        up as well as Samurai, E&T or DdW (all heavy favorites of mine)
        in the years to come. I'll reserve final judgement until
        playing, but for now I've not shelled out the cash for it (it's
        rather expensive - $32/$33). Even *I* have game buying limits!

        I'm actually rather amazed at how many games I have that I truly
        enjoy - hardly any bad games. I suppose it has a lot to do with
        being able to read reviews, ongoing session reports (which also
        show the ability for a game to hold up over time) and sometimes
        the mechanics/rules are available online (Rio Grande Games puts
        game rules on their website). I usually know ahead of time if I
        will like a particular game.

        dber@...
      • Craig Massey
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 1 6:47 PM
          It is easy to educate yourself on a game before
          purchase today - thanks to the internet and email. I
          almost always have a good idea about a game before it
          is bought and I know the reviewers that tend to have
          the same game tastes as I. Greg S. tastes run very
          similar and it seems that Alison's do too (although I
          reserve judgment on UP until I play a few more times)

          And scary as it may sound, it seems like Dave's game
          tastes run the same spectrum as mine - although I like
          longer games and negotiation games (note liking does
          not equal playing them well as evidenced by my pitiful
          performance at KK&K two weeks in a row)

          I haven't gotten a handle on Mark's tastes yet - they
          seem all over the map which is fine with me though.
          anyway, finding a reviewer who shares tastes is a
          great way to keep ahead and avoid stinkers. Of course
          ther are always games that I will buy no matter what
          the reviews say because I have got to see for myself.
          Usually knizia's stuff, card games under $10, and
          anything that is limited (damn collector in me).

          If you can read the rules, you can get a good sense if
          the game has some tried and true mechanics as well.
          --- Dave Bernazzani <dber@...> wrote:

          > I think after reading reviews, and reading about the
          > mechanics I
          > felt that it was a lighter tile laying game that
          > might not hold
          > up as well as Samurai, E&T or DdW (all heavy
          > favorites of mine)
          > in the years to come. I'll reserve final judgement
          > until
          > playing, but for now I've not shelled out the cash
          > for it (it's
          > rather expensive - $32/$33). Even *I* have game
          > buying limits!
          >
          > I'm actually rather amazed at how many games I have
          > that I truly
          > enjoy - hardly any bad games. I suppose it has a
          > lot to do with
          > being able to read reviews, ongoing session reports
          > (which also
          > show the ability for a game to hold up over time)
          > and sometimes
          > the mechanics/rules are available online (Rio Grande
          > Games puts
          > game rules on their website). I usually know ahead
          > of time if I
          > will like a particular game.
          >
          > --
          > Dave Bernazzani
          > dber@...
          > http://www.gis.net/~dber (South Shore Gamers)
          >

          > Web page for Unity Games member database, files,
          > polls, etc.
          > http://www.egroups.com/group/Unity_Games
          >
          > To UNSUBSCRIBE from The Unity Games mailing list,
          > please send an email to:
          > Unity Games page above and Unsubscribe from there.

          =====
          Craig W. Massey
          cwmassey@...

          http://invites.yahoo.com/
        • Craig Massey
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 1 6:50 PM
            --- Dave Bernazzani <dber@...> wrote:
            > I'm actually rather amazed at how many games I have
            > that I truly
            > enjoy - hardly any bad games.

            What are some examples of games that you don't like
            dave. I realize negotiation games don't hold a
            special place in your heart, but are them some games
            that you just cringe when they hit the table and avoid
            like a bad rash?

            =====
            Craig W. Massey
            cwmassey@...

            http://invites.yahoo.com/
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 1 7:29 PM
              Craig Massey <cwmassey@...> wrote:
              >What are some examples of games that you don't like
              >dave. I realize negotiation games don't hold a
              >special place in your heart, but are them some games
              >that you just cringe when they hit the table and avoid
              >like a bad rash?

              Hmmmm... In my collection or in general? Well - games I own that
              I don't like would be AH _We the People_ - I can see why people
              really like this game, but I found it a bit fidly and a bit too
              long. Got it cheap so I have kept it, but will probably
              sell/trade it someday soon. More recently, I've not enjoyed Lord
              of the Leprechauns :)

              I disliked my one and only playing of Medici. I realize one
              playing is not enough, but it was rather dreadful for me. I will
              give it another shot, but if it doesn't improve it will also hit
              my sale/trade pile (which, by the way, contains no games as of
              yet!!). But I *love* Modern Art. My first playing was with Mark
              and he did a great job teaching us and it was a rather rousing
              playing of that classic.

              For games I don't own...

              KK und K is not my favorite game since I'm not too keen on pure
              negotiation games - but it has improved a bit for me.

              Long games are usually a big disappointment for me. La Cita was
              too long for my tastes.

              Dirk Henn's Timbuktu was not great - Joe Huber teaches this to
              any unsuspecting newcomers he can. He loves it - my brain melted
              as it was just too convoluted for my tastes.

              I was not fond of AH Rail Baron mainly due to the length and the
              repetitiveness of the game.

              I'm sure there are others... but most games I've played have been
              excellent.

              dber@...
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 1 7:36 PM
                Craig Massey <cwmassey@...> wrote:

                >And scary as it may sound, it seems like Dave's game
                >tastes run the same spectrum as mine - although I like
                >longer games and negotiation games (note liking does

                Scary? I actually thought our tastes ran rather similar. Most
                people who have come to the SSG more than a few times clearly
                like a similar German/Euro style of games.

                dber@...
              • Craig Massey
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 2 5:28 AM
                  --- Dave Bernazzani <dber@...> wrote:

                  > Scary? I actually thought our tastes ran rather
                  > similar. Most
                  > people who have come to the SSG more than a few
                  > times clearly
                  > like a similar German/Euro style of games.

                  Absolutely - german games are the top of my list - I
                  was thinking of specific games and the reviews you
                  have written. Our tastes are very similar - almost in
                  an eerie (that would have been better than scary)sort
                  of way - outside of the negotiation and longish games
                  - I bet you would hard pressed to name a game that you
                  like that I don't.

                  With respect to games that I don't like (ones that I
                  have played more than once or twice so Ra and UP don't
                  count yet)- I can give a list that would include -
                  Throneworld (this game irritates me during the set up
                  phase), Rail Baron (I can't believe its considered a
                  classic by some), Minister (this is an awful german
                  game) - and I'm sure there are a few others.

                  Craig

                  =====
                  Craig W. Massey
                  cwmassey@...