Re: [Unity_Games] Rheinlander?

  • AndAgainMA@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2000
      A spirited rejoinder from Alison in her Funagain review of this game. Sounds interesting, sign me up for a try!

      Quite a prolific reviewer, this Alison. Amongst her reviews are Rheinlander and Drahtseilakt (Tightrope)... Drahtseilakt and Rheinlander... and she appears to have an almost fanatical devotion to Pope Reiner the Prolific. Drahtseilakt sounds worth a try too.

      Perhaps we'll soon be seeing reviews from "Alison from Boston" at Funagain...

      Andrew.
    • Craig Massey
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 2, 2000
        Have other unity game members posted Funagain reviews?
        I believe I have seen Mark and Dave's name and now
        Alison's. I have down a few although none in a long
        time - who else has done them? It would be
        interesting to get perspectives from this group and
        that is worth knowing next time I place a Funagain
        order - some peoples names in their reviews are not
        clear as to who they really are....

        Craig
        --- AndAgainMA@... wrote:
        > A spirited rejoinder from Alison in her Funagain
        > review of this game. Sounds interesting, sign me up
        > for a try!
        >
        > Quite a prolific reviewer, this Alison. Amongst her
        > reviews are Rheinlander and Drahtseilakt
        > (Tightrope)... Drahtseilakt and Rheinlander... and
        > she appears to have an almost fanatical devotion to
        > Pope Reiner the Prolific. Drahtseilakt sounds worth
        > a try too.
        >
        > Perhaps we'll soon be seeing reviews from "Alison
        > from Boston" at Funagain...
        >
        > Andrew.

        =====
        Craig W. Massey
        cwmassey@...

        http://invites.yahoo.com/
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 2, 2000
          Craig wrote:

          > Have other unity game members posted Funagain reviews?
          > I believe I have seen Mark and Dave's name and now
          > Alison's. I have down a few although none in a long

          I believe many of us have. I've got 10 reviews at Funagain - under my own
          full name. Mark has a few under his full name. Andrew has a few. Alison
          has 9. Craig has a few. Reviews are a gift - they help people make a
          decision to buy or not buy a game - and keeps the chances minimized that
          someone will purchase a game not to their liking.

          That said, I tend not to review games I don't like. Counter intuitive,
          perhaps. But like Stefan O'Sullivan - I don't want to put off someone from
          buying a game that I don't like because often times I've only managed to
          play it one or two (not enough to inform) or maybe it just wasn't my cup of
          tea. I just don't play a game enough times if I don't enjoy it the first
          couple of times. If I do post something negative, I try to state that it
          just didn't fit my style or temperament. I'd prefer to highlight the better
          games that I've enjoyed and played more than three times so that it's a
          somewhat informed position. In some ways this makes me a poor reviewer of
          games, but that's life. I have a list of games I need to submit to Funagain
          as reviews but have not managed to get the time to post them.

          I also feel somewhat badly this year about posting a review at Funagain for
          something I bought at Boulder (and so far have only reviewed one game this
          way). Especially when I now have a column in Boulder Games Notes - it would
          seem inappropriate to review DFvF at Funagain when my review will be
          available at Boulder (I'm under obligations to not publish my BGN reviews
          until several months after their appearance and with a notice that it was in
          BGN first) and I got the game from Boulder Jim. Too bad, I'd love to give
          it the full 5 star treatment - well maybe I'll do it when Jay decides next
          week if he is doing the English version (hopefully!!). Or maybe just a
          simple paragraph stating that I like it with 5 starts - hardly impacts my
          forthcoming longer review.

          dber@...
        • Craig Massey
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 2, 2000
            --- Dave Bernazzani <dber@...> wrote:

            > I believe many of us have. I've got 10 reviews at
            > Funagain - under my own
            > full name. Mark has a few under his full name.
            > Andrew has a few. Alison
            > has 9. Craig has a few. Reviews are a gift - they
            > help people make a
            > decision to buy or not buy a game - and keeps the
            > chances minimized that
            > someone will purchase a game not to their liking.

            I haven't seen any from Andrew, but I'll be on the
            lookout - Andrew what have you reviewed? I don't
            think you can search their site by reviewer?

            > That said, I tend not to review games I don't like.
            > Counter intuitive,
            > perhaps. But like Stefan O'Sullivan - I don't want
            > to put off someone from
            > buying a game that I don't like because often times
            > I've only managed to
            > play it one or two (not enough to inform) or maybe
            > it just wasn't my cup of
            > tea. I just don't play a game enough times if I
            > don't enjoy it the first
            > couple of times. If I do post something negative, I
            > try to state that it
            > just didn't fit my style or temperament. I'd prefer
            > to highlight the better
            > games that I've enjoyed and played more than three
            > times so that it's a
            > somewhat informed position. In some ways this makes
            > me a poor reviewer of
            > games, but that's life. I have a list of games I
            > need to submit to Funagain
            > as reviews but have not managed to get the time to
            > post them.

            With respect to posting negative reviews. I do agree
            that it is hard to post a review of a game that I
            don't like. This being said, there is some value in a
            "negative" review. I dont' consider any of the
            reviews I write to be negative per se. I don't think
            I have ever come out and said a game is bad, but to
            use a few examples of mine on Funagain (shameless plug
            alert) - Sisimizi and Canyon - I gave both of these
            games 2 stars, but in the review found some positive
            aspects in the game to point out. Maybe the game plays
            a lot better with a certain number of players. Maybe
            it is good for a certian type of player. Games that I
            think stink for gamers, might be good for families/non
            gamers. Like Dave mentioned - I attach my personal
            reason for not liking a game and then try to
            articulate that this doesn't make a game bad in
            general and point out how these dislikes of mine,
            might be likes for someone else. Also comparisons to
            simillar games are good to see.

            So when I'm reading funagain reviews - I do pay
            attention to the low ratings to see the reasons why
            they are so low and maybe those personal reasons will
            be a plus for someone else. Reviews I do ignore are
            short one or two liners that provide no support for a
            positive or negative opinion - those are just a waste
            of time and space. But if someone has taken the time
            to write out their thoughts on why they like a game or
            why not - I'm willing to read and listen to what they
            said.

            I also have a stack of reviews I need to post to
            Funagain - where to find the time.

            Dave - is boulder jim amenable to contributions from
            others as well? Should I just drop him a line and
            inquire? I haven't bought as much from him, but it
            would be good to provide reviews for the games that I
            did purchase.

            later
            Craig

            =====
            Craig W. Massey
            cwmassey@...

            http://invites.yahoo.com/
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 2, 2000
              Craig Massey wrote:
              > I haven't seen any from Andrew, but I'll be on the
              > lookout - Andrew what have you reviewed? I don't
              > think you can search their site by reviewer?

              Actually I think you can under the "search" button. But just go to Taj
              Mahal - I've reviewed it and then you can click on my name - it will
              auto-search by reviewer and come up with everything I've reviewed there.

              > Dave - is boulder jim amenable to contributions from
              > others as well? Should I just drop him a line and
              > inquire? I haven't bought as much from him, but it

              A couple months back he was polling in either r.g.b or r.g.b.m about people
              to submit articles. He got some people so I'm not sure if he has more
              contributors than he needs but if you want to ask I don't see the harm in
              it. It is a paying job (game credit!!) and I've enjoyed helping Jim out
              since he has been very kind to me in the past (sending me OFuA replacement
              cards without asking, sending some nice wooden blocks for prototyping,
              securing an early cheap copy of ISI for me, etc).

              dber@...
            • Dan Cashmore
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 2, 2000
                > Have other unity game members posted Funagain reviews?

                I have about six up, though I haven't done one for a while. From the main
                page at Funagain, in the new reviews section, click on the "write your own"
                link, to get to a page that allows you to search by reviewer's name. (Mine
                are under "Cashmore") I don't have many German games reviewed, as I wasn't
                playing that many of them until fairly recently.

                -Dan