Re: [Unity_Games] B&N Gaming - July 31, 2000

    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 1, 2000
      Dan Cashmore wrote:
      > > Good comments (can I include them in the report on my site?)
      >
      > Certainly. It does my ego good :-] (Feel free to use my session
      > comments any time you like)

      Excellent. I hope everyone realizes that they can add something to any of
      the reports I post on my site. I also accept game related articles/reviews
      (which I'm behind on posting) to my site - so far most are from me but Eddie
      has contributed and Jenn has written something.

      I don't necessarily want the sessions to be a one-mans view - but they tend
      to be that way. I know Pete takes exception to some of my commentary as
      will happen when a person's views about something are made public. I hope
      people realize that when I write a session report, it's just trying to
      capture some sense of what went on during the game - mostly from my own
      viewpoint - but I welcome balancing viewpoints as well. If I've said
      something to offend anyone (Pete - speak up now since I can't remember what
      in particular you were unhappy with since the list has gotten long) I'll try
      to amend it on my website.

      To have another view is always nice - and tends to rounds out and balance
      the reports. Andrew, Craig and Eddie (did I miss someone?) have all added
      commentary in the past which is great.

      Maybe I should put in a disclaimer to state that any errors or omissions are
      my responsibility during the editing process when adding additional
      commentary. I wouldn't want the Mark-types to blast other contributors for
      grammar or spelling errors ;) I've spent plenty of school-years getting
      drilled on my lack of skill in both these areas...

      dber@...
    • pldr
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 2, 2000
        ----------
        > From: Dave Bernazzani <dber@...>
        > To: Unity_Games@egroups.com
        > Subject: Re: [Unity_Games] B&N Gaming - July 31, 2000
        > Date: Tuesday, August 01, 2000 2:44 PM
        >

        > Yes, my rating actually went up on this play. It's staring to grow
        on me,
        > but I'm still not a big fan of the central mechanism of allocating
        your
        > tokens face down.

        Interesting comment. I think the face down tokens make the game.
        It adds bluffing, planning, guessing, uncertainty, etc., to the game.
        AL seems to have an interesting mix of mechanisms which makes
        it a part skill, part luck, type of game. ...my favorite kind.

        Pete
      • pldr
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 2, 2000
          ----------
          > From: Dave Bernazzani <dber@...>
          > To: Unity_Games@egroups.com
          > Subject: Re: [Unity_Games] B&N Gaming - July 31, 2000
          > Date: Tuesday, August 01, 2000 3:17 PM
          > I don't necessarily want the sessions to be a one-mans view - but
          they tend
          > to be that way. I know Pete takes exception to some of my
          commentary as
          > will happen when a person's views about something are made public.
          I hope
          > people realize that when I write a session report, it's just trying
          > capture some sense of what went on during the game - mostly from my
          own
          > viewpoint - but I welcome balancing viewpoints as well. If I've
          said
          > something to offend anyone (Pete - speak up now since I can't
          remember what
          > in particular you were unhappy with since the list has gotten long)
          I'll try
          > to amend it on my website.

          It was a bidding game...had some kind of clock. Merchants of
          Amsterdam?
          You wrote that I consistently way overbid. As I pointed out, near
          the end of
          the game I bid 160,000 several times for things that other people
          were bidding
          150,000 for---hardly overspending, especially when the 160 bids
          ensured that
          I would get the items, which in turn generated about 500,000 more
          than
          my total bids.

          Since I finished in 2nd, only 40 points behind you, (1230-1190)
          who has played the game several times, and 70 ahead of Jenn,
          also a MOA veteran, I think my strategy
          worked fairly well. Keep in mind that you rely on experience with a
          particular
          game in SSG meets, while I'm usually playing for the first time, and
          I have to
          rely more on ability, skill, intelligence, and of course, humility.
          After one has played a game a few times, you tend to think a certain
          approach is best. It's always annoying to find out that someone
          taking a fresh look at a game can come up with another reasonably
          valid approach.

          Pete
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 2, 2000
            "pldr" <pldr@...> wrote:
            >It was a bidding game...had some kind of clock.
            >Merchants of Amsterdam?
            >You wrote that I consistently way overbid.

            Yes, I remember. The point should have been made that most
            people were overpaying. In my 6+ games and reading lots of
            commentary there is a break-even point which is much lower than
            $150 - because the best any one area can generate for you is $100
            except at the end when it's $200. If you take a tile for $160
            and only get $100 for it, you lost money (yes, there are bonuses,
            but overall there are other ways to get those). Of course if
            everyone is bidding $150 then you can do well at that price
            range. I have won more than half my games by only taking one or
            two auctions for $130 (which again is too much except that
            everyone else is paying $150). The last game I played at the
            North Shore Group, I won by $10 and I *never* won a single
            auction - not once. And I didn't play particular well - but
            everyone else was simply paying too much for the auctions and
            they were losing ground (in the $150 range).

            But you are right, since everyone (except me) was bidding high,
            your strategy was fine. It assured you 2nd place.

            dber@...