Open Groups / Closed Groups

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 19, 2001
      Walter wrote:
      > BTW, anyone whose club or group didn't make it to the "official
      > calendar" -- I know Matt Stone's group is one I didn't get -- please
      > let me know. I'll update the page from the program and post it to the
      > web site.

      Do you mean the UG calendar
      (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Unity_Games/calendar)? If so, there were
      several representatives from other groups that are not on the calendar.
      Probably 15 different game groups were represented at UG2.

      If this is the case, we should only be listing open groups (which is the
      case now) to the semi-public UG calendar _or_ files section. Many of the
      groups represented by people on this list are closed or semi-private and the
      UG list does not attempt change this. I continue to stress that the UG list
      is a meeting point and a resource for local gamers - not an umbrella
      organization or supergroup of groups for the region. We do not want the
      contact person of such groups to receive emails from people wanting to come
      to the session - it's not easy having to say no so lets avoid that.

      If you are simply talking about a record of groups that had representation
      at UG2, that's fine. Just be sure that it is always clear when a group is
      closed.

      Having said that, I've received a few emails today from people wanting to go
      to the South Shore Gamers (which is now open to the UG list) - I'll be
      contacting you soon via email and we look forward to seeing you on Saturday
      night!

      dber@...
    • whunt@vistasource.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 19, 2001
        --- In Unity_Games@y..., "Dave Bernazzani" <dber@g...> wrote:
        > Walter wrote:
        > > BTW, anyone whose club or group didn't make it to the "official
        > > calendar" -- I know Matt Stone's group is one I didn't get --
        please
        > > let me know. I'll update the page from the program and post it to
        the
        > > web site.
        >
        > Do you mean the UG calendar
        > (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Unity_Games/calendar)? If so, there
        were
        > several representatives from other groups that are not on the
        calendar.

        I was more referring to the back of the program flyer. This was in
        response to Mark Towler's comment.

        In any case, I echo Dave's comments -- UG doesn't seek to change the
        composition of groups or force anyone with a "closed" group to take on
        anyone they don't invite, for the reasons he states.

        My "calendar" only listed the names and acronyms of the groups, as
        well as where they meet; I meant it to be informational only. I will
        be happy to keep it up to date.

        Walter.