brief SR UG2

  • Matthew Horn
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 19, 2001
      I had a great time, and judging from the turnout, alot of other people did
      too.

      Side Note: When I first started playing euro-games about 18 months ago, I
      thought myself and a few friends were freakish loners with too much time.
      Turns out we are, but there are alot more gamers than I ever thought
      possible and UG2 proves it.

      Union Pacific
      Good tense game. Rob was a newcomer to it, but I think he liked it alot. One
      player (name?) concentrated purely on building out the green line and UP and
      nearly took the win from me, as Scott also challenged me for control on
      several lines and had his own nut.

      Acquire
      This game gets better and better IMHO. 6 players and I finally won, despite
      a strong Scottish contender and a close call as Rob and I struggled for
      control of Fusion which turned out to be the deciding factor.

      Battle Line (x2)
      Richard S was kind enough to teach me this game and I was lucky enough to
      win twice. Great game I am definitely going to play more of. It can bog
      down, but with two like-minded players, neither of us seemed to mind.

      Kohle, Kies, & Knete
      6 players. My beak started out bone dry early on as Dave F and Andrew
      managed to take an early lead. After the first 3 or 4 deals I had $1M and
      Campbell was not doing much better. However, the rest of us soon caught on
      and started cutting them out of deals. Our beaks were soaked by the end,
      with Rich beating me by $1M.

      Medici
      6 players. I completely suck at this game, but I will get it one of these
      days. My big mistake is not going after the highest total bonus and instead
      concentrating on the commodity pyramid scoring. There were two packs of 3
      players at the end. One pack huddled around 60 points and the other around
      110 points. Our boats were made of construction paper. I believe Jonathan
      won as he clearly has a good grasp of this game.

      Barbarossa
      Long game, but fun. Campbell's "heart" was a tough one. One of my questions:
      "Is this something you play with?" Answer: "Yes". Great stuff. I think Aaron
      won.

      Rheinlander
      Walter, Matt N, Andy and I sat down to play this game as Werewolf went on.
      Jonathan stepped in to teach us a few rules we were forgetting and summarily
      "womped our doochies" with a strong bishop strategy that Matt N came close
      to stopping. I came in a distant 2nd.

      Loopin' Louis (x2)
      Surprisingly fun dexterity game with mechanical parts and little chicken
      tokens I like to think of as McNuggets. This game is on my "must fry" list.

      Thanks to all who put in an incredible amount of effort in making UG2
      happen, especially Dave B, Walter, Craig, Andrew, and the rest of the
      steering committee (Mark). Great Job!

      Matthew J. Horn