Re: [Unity_Games] B&N Gaming - July 31, 2000

  • pldr
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 1, 2000
      To straighten out the usual errors in Dave's session report:

      Jon and I only played one game of Hera, that's Hera, and Zeus.
      I won.
      I gave it a 7 or 8. That means pretty good

      A fair/average rating for me would be a 5.

      I would give a 9 or a 10 only to a game that I've become obsessed
      with after playing it only once. In other words, I want to play it
      again
      asap, and think about it constantly in the meantime.

      6-8 means good to very good in my system. 5 is average.

      4 means mediocre, has major flaws.

      3 means serious flaws.

      2=wretched--could be saved with major surgery.

      1-forget it. loser.

      Any other game rating systems out there?

      Pete
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 1, 2000
        "pldr" <pldr@...> wrote:

        >To straighten out the usual errors in Dave's session report:

        You are right - only one game. When I asked you specifically
        about it, you said "It's OK - it's Stratego...". Sorry if I make
        it seem more lukewarm for you in my commentary. For the record
        you've stated that you think it's pretty good (7.5).

        If anyone has points to take with my session reports, please let
        me know and I'll try to correct them.

        dber@...
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 1, 2000
          Dan Cashmore wrote:
          > My thoughts on the games...
          >
          > > Lord of the Leprechauns [snip]
          > I think I gave it a 6 and on the way home
          > thought that was 2 points too many.

          Hehehe... yeah, I think we were all being somewhat kind but the game was not
          great. I'll be happy to downwards-adjust your rating to 4 for the report
          when I archive it to my site (with additional details) tonight.

          > > Aladdin's Dragons.
          > Now this is my kind of game. I know the blind bid thing isn't for
          everyone

          Good comments (can I include them in the report on my site?)

          Yes, my rating actually went up on this play. It's staring to grow on me,
          but I'm still not a big fan of the central mechanism of allocating your
          tokens face down. It's got such a nice looking board (by Doris of
          Doris&Frank fame) and great components that I want to really like the
          gameplay. Several people I've played the game with have really enjoyed it
          so I think it's got somewhat of a polarizing effect. Ben Baldanza in Counter
          Mag #9 has a favoriable review of it (where he draws comparisions to it to
          Keydom of which AD is a decendant).

          > > During our game of AD - the other three players sat for a
          > > game of Members Only.
          > Didn't play, but this looks fun.

          I really like Member's Only. It's not very deep nor very exiting - but it
          is a solid game that has some strategy and plays quickly. It happens to
          play fairly well with only 3 players - sometimes that's a hard number to
          match a good game with. And it will handle up to 5 without much downtime
          between turns. It's gone out of print with Blatz, but rumor has it that it
          might come back in a future lifetime.

          dber@...
        • Dan Cashmore
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 1, 2000
            > Good comments (can I include them in the report on my site?)

            Certainly. It does my ego good :-] (Feel free to use my session comments
            any time you like)
            -Dan
          • AndAgainMA@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 1, 2000
              To add my two gem's worth on Aladdin's dragon...

              I liked the game. Although each turn is a journey up from the caves through the city to the palace, the journey changes as the game goes on. It has an opening, a middle game, and an endgame, with the focus of the game gradually shifting up the board.

              It was me who discovered towards the end of the game that we should have taken out some of the artefact tiles, since we were playing with 4, rather than the maximum of 5. Disdainful hoots of "rules lawyer" were my reward.

              But I think it did make a difference to the game. First, it went on a bit longer than the designer intended. Second, it meant that there were more counterspell tiles out than there should have been; that's probably why very few spells succeeded.

              I can see that it might have a runaway leader problem. The artefact tiles are not only the victory points, they are provide you with extra options. When you play one, you get it back and so can play it next turn. So the first person to get a decent selection of tiles might find themself benefitting from a positive feedback loop.

              Apart from that, I like this game a lot. The bits are great. There are multiple mechanisms, but they are well integrated. I stand by my 8!

              Andrew.

              ps, Dave, feel free to include this if you'd like.
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 1, 2000
                Dan Cashmore wrote:
                > > Good comments (can I include them in the report on my site?)
                >
                > Certainly. It does my ego good :-] (Feel free to use my session
                > comments any time you like)

                Excellent. I hope everyone realizes that they can add something to any of
                the reports I post on my site. I also accept game related articles/reviews
                (which I'm behind on posting) to my site - so far most are from me but Eddie
                has contributed and Jenn has written something.

                I don't necessarily want the sessions to be a one-mans view - but they tend
                to be that way. I know Pete takes exception to some of my commentary as
                will happen when a person's views about something are made public. I hope
                people realize that when I write a session report, it's just trying to
                capture some sense of what went on during the game - mostly from my own
                viewpoint - but I welcome balancing viewpoints as well. If I've said
                something to offend anyone (Pete - speak up now since I can't remember what
                in particular you were unhappy with since the list has gotten long) I'll try
                to amend it on my website.

                To have another view is always nice - and tends to rounds out and balance
                the reports. Andrew, Craig and Eddie (did I miss someone?) have all added
                commentary in the past which is great.

                Maybe I should put in a disclaimer to state that any errors or omissions are
                my responsibility during the editing process when adding additional
                commentary. I wouldn't want the Mark-types to blast other contributors for
                grammar or spelling errors ;) I've spent plenty of school-years getting
                drilled on my lack of skill in both these areas...

                dber@...
              • pldr
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 2, 2000
                  ----------
                  > From: Dave Bernazzani <dber@...>
                  > To: Unity_Games@egroups.com
                  > Subject: Re: [Unity_Games] B&N Gaming - July 31, 2000
                  > Date: Tuesday, August 01, 2000 2:44 PM
                  >

                  > Yes, my rating actually went up on this play. It's staring to grow
                  on me,
                  > but I'm still not a big fan of the central mechanism of allocating
                  your
                  > tokens face down.

                  Interesting comment. I think the face down tokens make the game.
                  It adds bluffing, planning, guessing, uncertainty, etc., to the game.
                  AL seems to have an interesting mix of mechanisms which makes
                  it a part skill, part luck, type of game. ...my favorite kind.

                  Pete
                • pldr
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 2, 2000
                    ----------
                    > From: Dave Bernazzani <dber@...>
                    > To: Unity_Games@egroups.com
                    > Subject: Re: [Unity_Games] B&N Gaming - July 31, 2000
                    > Date: Tuesday, August 01, 2000 3:17 PM
                    > I don't necessarily want the sessions to be a one-mans view - but
                    they tend
                    > to be that way. I know Pete takes exception to some of my
                    commentary as
                    > will happen when a person's views about something are made public.
                    I hope
                    > people realize that when I write a session report, it's just trying
                    > capture some sense of what went on during the game - mostly from my
                    own
                    > viewpoint - but I welcome balancing viewpoints as well. If I've
                    said
                    > something to offend anyone (Pete - speak up now since I can't
                    remember what
                    > in particular you were unhappy with since the list has gotten long)
                    I'll try
                    > to amend it on my website.

                    It was a bidding game...had some kind of clock. Merchants of
                    Amsterdam?
                    You wrote that I consistently way overbid. As I pointed out, near
                    the end of
                    the game I bid 160,000 several times for things that other people
                    were bidding
                    150,000 for---hardly overspending, especially when the 160 bids
                    ensured that
                    I would get the items, which in turn generated about 500,000 more
                    than
                    my total bids.

                    Since I finished in 2nd, only 40 points behind you, (1230-1190)
                    who has played the game several times, and 70 ahead of Jenn,
                    also a MOA veteran, I think my strategy
                    worked fairly well. Keep in mind that you rely on experience with a
                    particular
                    game in SSG meets, while I'm usually playing for the first time, and
                    I have to
                    rely more on ability, skill, intelligence, and of course, humility.
                    After one has played a game a few times, you tend to think a certain
                    approach is best. It's always annoying to find out that someone
                    taking a fresh look at a game can come up with another reasonably
                    valid approach.

                    Pete
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 2, 2000
                      "pldr" <pldr@...> wrote:
                      >It was a bidding game...had some kind of clock.
                      >Merchants of Amsterdam?
                      >You wrote that I consistently way overbid.

                      Yes, I remember. The point should have been made that most
                      people were overpaying. In my 6+ games and reading lots of
                      commentary there is a break-even point which is much lower than
                      $150 - because the best any one area can generate for you is $100
                      except at the end when it's $200. If you take a tile for $160
                      and only get $100 for it, you lost money (yes, there are bonuses,
                      but overall there are other ways to get those). Of course if
                      everyone is bidding $150 then you can do well at that price
                      range. I have won more than half my games by only taking one or
                      two auctions for $130 (which again is too much except that
                      everyone else is paying $150). The last game I played at the
                      North Shore Group, I won by $10 and I *never* won a single
                      auction - not once. And I didn't play particular well - but
                      everyone else was simply paying too much for the auctions and
                      they were losing ground (in the $150 range).

                      But you are right, since everyone (except me) was bidding high,
                      your strategy was fine. It assured you 2nd place.

                      dber@...