B&N Gaming - July 31, 2000

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 31, 2000
      Just back from another fine B&N gaming session. Only a small
      group of 7 "Unity Gamers" (for lack of a better term) in
      attendance (down from 13 last week). There were maybe 6 Scrabble
      players also. One women and her young daughter stopped by as we
      were playing and muttered - "cool" and then something about
      wanting to play a game as they walked by. It didn't hurt that we
      had the beautiful Aladdin's Dragons on display.

      People gathered rather quickly - after picking up Andrew from the
      train station, we were met almost immediately by the steady
      gaming couple of David and Alison. Dan showed a few minutes
      after as I was in the process of explaining our first short game
      of the evening - Lord of the Leprechauns by KRIMSUS. It's a bit
      of a fluffy game - each player is trying to assemble a clan of 4
      members to be the most powerful clan and claim the right of
      "chieftain" to replace the now deceased former chieftain. You
      can draft Leprechauns , blind draw Leprechauns and trade with
      another player for Leprechauns. You roll a dice when there is a
      contested draft of a Leprechaun. Ho hum... not much really
      happens, lots of Leprechauns walk by - you snag some, club others
      and generally finish the round with a thud (or in Alison's case,
      a bang). Generally we didn't feel any great sense of
      accomplishment with this game - the only person who did well was
      Alison who finished at twice my score. David finished just a
      point behind me, then Dan and Andrew actually managed to finish
      with a negative score (!!). It's not a great game and I'm
      disappointed to have spent 8 bucks on it. I might try to modify
      it a bit and make it a 2 player game (where trades with another
      player are randomly drawn) just to try and squeeze my $$ out of
      it. Ratings were all near 5 (which is kind).

      During our game, Pete and Jonathan played a couple games of
      Herald and Zeus. Jonathan really likes the game and gave it high
      marks. Pete felt it was an OK game - giving it a fair but decent
      mark. It's basically Stratego with cards - and I've enjoyed the
      few games I've played, but need additional playings to really see
      if it will shine up.

      David went to browse the bookstore for a bit - and Alison and
      Jonathan played a game of Herald and Zeus while the rest of us
      played Aladdin's Dragons. I set about explaining the rules to
      Andrew, Pete and Dan and soon we were competing for treasures,
      spells and a place in the dinjin's house! Battle the guards
      proved difficult as we always seemed to be going up against large
      valued tiles. Other than the first and last turns, most of the
      treasures were very slim pickings - often causing us to fight
      hard for the few good spots in the dungeon caves. Spells were
      largely negated throughout the game until near the end when Pete
      managed to sneak a few on us. Andrew had one killer turn where
      he planned really well and managed to take 2 or 3 victory
      artifacts. Pete used some good spell combinations on the final
      round to take the last scroll from my clutches - and he knew we
      were close on tiles (scrolls break ties). In the end, Andrew and
      Dan tied to share the victory, and Pete bested me with one extra
      scroll to break out tie. My first loss in this game, but my
      rating has actually gone up (I'm not a fan of this game - the
      mechanics are just not my cup of tea). Ratings from the others
      were all 8's. Great bits too!

      During our game of AD - the other three players sat for a game of
      Members Only. This is Reiner Knizia's game of bidding and
      bluffing and predicting of events. It's rather simple and I
      think it's one of his lesser known but better titles. It's very
      abstract, but they tried to put some theme on top of the game
      where you are allowed into the Members Only club if you can
      predict the events better than your opponents. You have a
      measure of control over the events as the cards are played from
      your hand - but you must watch what your opponents are betting on
      and where they are playing their event cards. Clever. Jonathan
      seems to really like the game, David and Alison were a bit more
      lukewarm. Jonathan won followed by Alison and then David.

      That's basically it. We finished by 9:40 and were out by 9:50
      (and I even managed to buy a book at the end of the evening).
      Several people glanced over at the games and seemed intrigued.
      There was a group of young ladies talking about some book (or
      something literature related) and peeked over quite a bit. Maybe
      they were just eyeing Andrew - who knows! hehehe....

      dber@...
    • Dan Cashmore
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1, 2000
        My thoughts on the games...

        > Lord of the Leprechauns by KRIMSUS...Generally we didn't feel any great sense
        of accomplishment with this game...Ratings were all near 5 (which is kind).
        That pretty much says it all. I think I gave it a 6 and on the way home
        thought that was 2 points too many.

        > Aladdin's Dragons.
        Now this is my kind of game. I know the blind bid thing isn't for everyone
        (I gather that Mark in particular disdains it), but I really enjoy this
        mechanism. A good twist on it in A.D.--that you bid all your tokens at once
        on several different kinds of booty. Although each round of the game
        follows the same sequence, I didn't feel that the game play got too
        repetitive because your primary bidding goals change as the game moves
        along. I did feel like it may have gone a round or two too long, but that
        probably had more to do with my hopes to get a third game in before the
        store closed than with any fault of the game. I think we also forgot to
        leave out some Victory Tokens for a 4-player game, which would have
        shortened it a bit.

        > During our game of AD - the other three players sat for a game of
        > Members Only.
        Didn't play, but this looks fun.

        An enjoyable session.