Re release theme

  • Craig Massey
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31, 2000
      Another excellent theme idea right up there with
      Eddie's SdJ nite. Hase und Igel is one of my all time
      favorite games.

      Given the sheer volume of great games, I wouldn't
      think it would be too hard to come up with a theme at
      all. Just look at all the games that hit the table on
      Sat. Nite. I don't think I saw a stinker in the bunch
      and wanted to play all of them.

      Back to the re-relese theme. Kings & Things was
      rereleased late last year around Essen. I have played
      this 3 or 4 times - it doesn't fit the german game
      mold, but it is a fun if somewhat longish game.
      Silverton was rereleased by Mayfair. Excellent train
      game that will play short (2 hours) or long 6+ hours.

      I saw the new Cosmic at Origins. They did an
      excellent job on the components, a little overdone if
      you ask me, but that is a minor point. They reduced
      the number of alien powers to 20+, but the basic game
      will be the same. Speaking with the AH guys, sounds
      like expansions with more powers and the moons will be
      in the future. For those with the old Cosmic sets -
      either Eon or Mayfair - no need to get the new one
      unless you just want to have, but AH will be be very
      successful targetting this classic game (another in my
      all time top 10) to a new audience.

      Craig

      --- AndAgainMA@... wrote:
      > Is this a particularly good year for re-releases of
      > classics? I can think of
      > the following:
      >
      > Diplomacy (AH/Hasbro)
      > Acquire (AH/Hasbro)
      > Hare and Tortoise (Abacus/Rio Grande, August)
      > Cosmic Encounter (AH/Hasbro, September 15)
      >
      > Any other notable re-releases this year? I'm not
      > including Rio Grande US
      > versions of German games, but re-releases of games
      > that have been out of
      > print for a while.
      >
      > I don't intend this to be a "Is it good news or bad
      > that Hasbro has taken
      > over AH?" topic, but I guess that's a related
      > question.
      >
      > Andrew, thinking of a "re-release party" for either
      > Hare or Cosmic (or both -
      > Cosmic Hare?).

      =====
      Craig W. Massey