[Unity_Games] SR: MVGA 3/1

  • Nicholas Avtges
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 2, 2001
      ***On Fri 9:47a Mar 2 whunt@... wrote***
      > few of the players were new to the 5-player version (where everyone
      >gets to build if the current player does), but things went very

      I've always played that all players get to build regardless of whether the current player does. Looking at the rules now, it is a big vague...I can see where this could be interpreted either way. How do others play this?

      >An interesting point was raised. In the 5/6 player version, more than
      >one person can build in a given turn; what happens if more than one
      >gets to 10? What's more, what happens if one player gets to 10, and
      >then another (on the same turn) does something like get a longer
      >'longest road' and pegs him down to 8? Does he still win?

      The extraordinary build phase goes in seating order. However, the game end conditions say that a player wins if he has 10 points at any point during his turn...so, I guess it would be possible to get up to 10 and then knocked down again before your turn began....which could lead to some interesting play.

      Nick A.

    • Kornfeld, Lewis A
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 2, 2001
        I recently played Settlers with Mark Towler, he said in the Mayfair rules all players may build every turn in the 5-6 player version. I will have to have another look at his rules when I see him again. I have the English translation of the German rules. I think allowing all players to build every turn cut back on the number of times people lost half there cards to the dreaded roll a 7 Ritter. I think it made the game go faster, and did not unbalance the game. On the other hand only building when the player whose turn it is builds make those dice roles much more exciting.

        > few of the players were new to the 5-player version (where everyone
        >gets to build if the current player does), but things went very

        I've always played that all players get to build regardless of whether the current player does. Looking at the rules now, it is a big vague...I can see where this could be interpreted either way. How do others play this?

        >An interesting point was raised. In the 5/6 player version, more than
        >one person can build in a given turn; what happens if more than one
        >gets to 10? What's more, what happens if one player gets to 10, and
        >then another (on the same turn) does something like get a longer
        >'longest road' and pegs him down to 8? Does he still win?

        The extraordinary build phase goes in seating order. However, the game end conditions say that a player wins if he has 10 points at any point during his turn...so, I guess it would be possible to get up to 10 and then knocked down again before your turn began....which could lead to some interesting play.

        Nick A.

        Web page for Unity Games member database, files, polls, etc.

      • millerandgreen@mediaone.net
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 2, 2001
          --- In Unity_Games@y..., whunt@v... wrote:

          > Euphrates & Tigris: Andy, Callie, and Dan sat down to this, and it
          was
          > sort of the opposite of the game Alison played a few months ago at
          > MVGA (which was over in 20 minutes) -- it went on for quite awhile.
          > don't know how this came out. They got to play with a brand spankin'
          > new copy, though.

          Callie thrashed Andy and myself quite convincingly. But we would
          have beaten her if we could have combined our scores! ;-)

          > We finished up with Settlers, another new copy, sans Bob and Anton.
          > few of the players were new to the 5-player version (where everyone
          > gets to build if the current player does), but things went very
          > smoothly. Dan and Matt fought for longest road, Andy was King of
          > Sheep, and Callie and I were also-rans for much of the game. I made
          > late rush to get to 9 points by building three cities in rapid
          > succession; close to the end, Dan announced, "I believe there should
          > be an evaluation of point scores," which was duly done. Then he
          scored
          > his tenth point, which seemed to undermine the point of the drama.

          Surely you mean "underline", not "undermine" ;-)

          Interesting setup for me - I gambled and crowded both my
          starting civs at one end of the board, on sheep/wood/clay near
          the 2:1 sheep and wood ports. No wheat or ore whatsoever. I got
          some outrageously good dice rolls (continual 8's - and I had 2
          settlements on the '8' sheep tile) for most of the game. But I
          stalled out near the end and anyone could have won. Settlers is
          a nice, social game that still delivers fun IMHO.

          > An interesting point was raised. In the 5/6 player version, more
          than
          > one person can build in a given turn; what happens if more than one
          > gets to 10? What's more, what happens if one player gets to 10, and
          > then another (on the same turn) does something like get a longer
          > 'longest road' and pegs him down to 8? Does he still win?

          I think the rule said "if a player reaches 10 points anytime on
          his turn he wins" - even though the other players also get to
          build it's not their turn yet. We actually had to look this up
          as Matt was in the position to build a road and snatch the longest
          road card from me after my build! Had this been ruled part of
          my "turn" he would have won, 11 points to my 8. Neat!

          Dan Miller
          millerandgreen@...