SR: MVGA 3/1

  • whunt@vistasource.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 2, 2001
      Another nice quiet evening in Holliston, where we do play things like
      Hannibal and Age of Renaissance (or at least have in the past...)

      Roll call: Walter, Matt N, Andy, Callie, Dan M, Anton, Bob J.

      Games played: Carcassonne, Acquire, E&T, Settlers.

      Carcassonne: a two player with myself and Matt, since we arrived
      first. As when Lisa and I play, we had a tile in hand and drew an
      extra one each turn, thus permitting a choice between two tiles. This
      seems to work well when only two players are at the table and I
      recommend it. I took Matt to school a bit, and despite a late flurry
      of farm scoring, I won by about 25 points.

      Euphrates & Tigris: Andy, Callie, and Dan sat down to this, and it was
      sort of the opposite of the game Alison played a few months ago at
      MVGA (which was over in 20 minutes) -- it went on for quite awhile. I
      don't know how this came out. They got to play with a brand spankin'
      new copy, though.

      Acquire: Bob, Anton, Matt, and I broke out the club's new copy of the
      Sackson classic. It went very quickly, with Anton and I making a few
      quick mergers and Matt and Bob having to sit without money for a good
      part of the midgame. I wound up with about $40K, with Anton second,
      Matt third, and Bob trailing behind.

      We finished up with Settlers, another new copy, sans Bob and Anton. A
      few of the players were new to the 5-player version (where everyone
      gets to build if the current player does), but things went very
      smoothly. Dan and Matt fought for longest road, Andy was King of
      Sheep, and Callie and I were also-rans for much of the game. I made a
      late rush to get to 9 points by building three cities in rapid
      succession; close to the end, Dan announced, "I believe there should
      be an evaluation of point scores," which was duly done. Then he scored
      his tenth point, which seemed to undermine the point of the drama.

      An interesting point was raised. In the 5/6 player version, more than
      one person can build in a given turn; what happens if more than one
      gets to 10? What's more, what happens if one player gets to 10, and
      then another (on the same turn) does something like get a longer
      'longest road' and pegs him down to 8? Does he still win?

      Hope to see more of you next week --

      Walter.

      15 days to Unity Games 2!
    • Nicholas Avtges
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 2, 2001
        ***On Fri 9:47a Mar 2 whunt@... wrote***
        > few of the players were new to the 5-player version (where everyone
        >gets to build if the current player does), but things went very

        I've always played that all players get to build regardless of whether the current player does. Looking at the rules now, it is a big vague...I can see where this could be interpreted either way. How do others play this?

        >An interesting point was raised. In the 5/6 player version, more than
        >one person can build in a given turn; what happens if more than one
        >gets to 10? What's more, what happens if one player gets to 10, and
        >then another (on the same turn) does something like get a longer
        >'longest road' and pegs him down to 8? Does he still win?

        The extraordinary build phase goes in seating order. However, the game end conditions say that a player wins if he has 10 points at any point during his turn...so, I guess it would be possible to get up to 10 and then knocked down again before your turn began....which could lead to some interesting play.

        Nick A.

      • Kornfeld, Lewis A
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 2, 2001
          I recently played Settlers with Mark Towler, he said in the Mayfair rules all players may build every turn in the 5-6 player version. I will have to have another look at his rules when I see him again. I have the English translation of the German rules. I think allowing all players to build every turn cut back on the number of times people lost half there cards to the dreaded roll a 7 Ritter. I think it made the game go faster, and did not unbalance the game. On the other hand only building when the player whose turn it is builds make those dice roles much more exciting.

          > few of the players were new to the 5-player version (where everyone
          >gets to build if the current player does), but things went very

          I've always played that all players get to build regardless of whether the current player does. Looking at the rules now, it is a big vague...I can see where this could be interpreted either way. How do others play this?

          >An interesting point was raised. In the 5/6 player version, more than
          >one person can build in a given turn; what happens if more than one
          >gets to 10? What's more, what happens if one player gets to 10, and
          >then another (on the same turn) does something like get a longer
          >'longest road' and pegs him down to 8? Does he still win?

          The extraordinary build phase goes in seating order. However, the game end conditions say that a player wins if he has 10 points at any point during his turn...so, I guess it would be possible to get up to 10 and then knocked down again before your turn began....which could lead to some interesting play.

          Nick A.

          Web page for Unity Games member database, files, polls, etc.

        • millerandgreen@mediaone.net
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 2, 2001
            --- In Unity_Games@y..., whunt@v... wrote:

            > Euphrates & Tigris: Andy, Callie, and Dan sat down to this, and it
            was
            > sort of the opposite of the game Alison played a few months ago at
            > MVGA (which was over in 20 minutes) -- it went on for quite awhile.
            > don't know how this came out. They got to play with a brand spankin'
            > new copy, though.

            Callie thrashed Andy and myself quite convincingly. But we would
            have beaten her if we could have combined our scores! ;-)

            > We finished up with Settlers, another new copy, sans Bob and Anton.
            > few of the players were new to the 5-player version (where everyone
            > gets to build if the current player does), but things went very
            > smoothly. Dan and Matt fought for longest road, Andy was King of
            > Sheep, and Callie and I were also-rans for much of the game. I made
            > late rush to get to 9 points by building three cities in rapid
            > succession; close to the end, Dan announced, "I believe there should
            > be an evaluation of point scores," which was duly done. Then he
            scored
            > his tenth point, which seemed to undermine the point of the drama.

            Surely you mean "underline", not "undermine" ;-)

            Interesting setup for me - I gambled and crowded both my
            starting civs at one end of the board, on sheep/wood/clay near
            the 2:1 sheep and wood ports. No wheat or ore whatsoever. I got
            some outrageously good dice rolls (continual 8's - and I had 2
            settlements on the '8' sheep tile) for most of the game. But I
            stalled out near the end and anyone could have won. Settlers is
            a nice, social game that still delivers fun IMHO.

            > An interesting point was raised. In the 5/6 player version, more
            than
            > one person can build in a given turn; what happens if more than one
            > gets to 10? What's more, what happens if one player gets to 10, and
            > then another (on the same turn) does something like get a longer
            > 'longest road' and pegs him down to 8? Does he still win?

            I think the rule said "if a player reaches 10 points anytime on
            his turn he wins" - even though the other players also get to
            build it's not their turn yet. We actually had to look this up
            as Matt was in the position to build a road and snatch the longest
            road card from me after my build! Had this been ruled part of
            my "turn" he would have won, 11 points to my 8. Neat!

            Dan Miller
            millerandgreen@...