SR from Wed Mar 28 (BLAH XXIX)

  • AndAgainMA@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2001
      I got to break out my new copies of Palmyra and E&T, and well as playing The
      aMAZEing Labyrinth, so I think it was a good session. Read all about it at:
      http://members.aol.com/AndAgainMA/SR010228.htm

    • Cragmyre .
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 2, 2001
        Oops, nice session report, but you just pointed out an instruction I had
        forgotten with Amazing Labryinth. You have to get back to your home base.
        I taught the game incorrectly a few B&N sessions ago. Well, won't happen
        again. :)

        Later,
        -- Ron
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 2, 2001
          Thanks, Ron, for your comments on the SR... it's good to know that someone
          reads them!

          In fact I did get back to my lair in the labyrinth, when Dan ceased his
          efforts to stop me. It was unlikely that he was going to win the game, and
          Jonathan had just arrived.

          Last week Mario Tennis, this week Labyrinth... tough acts to follow for
          whatever next week's opening game turns out to be!

          Andrew.

        • Craig Massey
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 2, 2001
            --- AndAgainMA@... wrote:
            > I got to break out my new copies of Palmyra and E&T,
            > and well as playing The
            > aMAZEing Labyrinth, so I think it was a good
            > session. Read all about it at:
            > http://members.aol.com/AndAgainMA/SR010228.htm

            Thanks for the SR Andrew. Sorry to have missed,
            especially on a Knizia heavy night, but I'm hoping to
            be back in the BLAH saddle next week.

            Very impressive E&T winning score of 13 - any idea
            what the other color counts were?

            Also, on Samurai - is this the first time you have
            played a game with the intention of gaining a majority
            in a specific type of piece when you drew your
            starting five?

            I guess I have always taken the approach to try and
            draw balanced tiles on the initial draw which seems to
            be more reactive than proactive.

            What were your initial 5 tiles?

            =====
            Craig W. Massey
            cwmassey@...

            http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
          • AndAgainMA@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 2, 2001
              (The good stuff is at the end of this message. I suggest you read it from the bottom up.)

              E&T. Yes, 13 is an impressive winning score, especially when you bear in mind that the game ended due to time, with lots of treasure and the board and many tiles in the bag. There was also a large number of tiles in the box, mainly due to external conflicts.

              I can't remember, even roughly, what Paul's count was in the various colors. I know that I had over 20 in each of blue and green, and that I should have pursued red far more aggressively.

              Samurai. I usually load up on one figure type among my starting 5. I don't think that I end up scoring higher in that type than in any other.

              This game, I started with a boat (a 2, I think) and the 4-buddha. I played these two on my opening move. I also had the ronin and a samurai (again, a 2, I think) in there. I'm not sure what the other tile was.

              I think I started a topic a while ago on what people's preferred starting tiles are. I don't think that there was much response. Feel free to responsd to the question now, whether you be chessmaster, big-haired psychologist, weasel, or whatever.

              What are your preferred 5 starting tiles for Samurai?

              Andrew.

              ps I did try to goad Craig into attending. I told him that his Bluffin' rival, the Cashmore Kid, would be there. I asked him if he wanted to be the answer to the riddle: What do you get if you cross a weasel with a chicken? But to no avail.
            • Craig Massey
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 2, 2001
                --- AndAgainMA@... wrote:

                > What are your preferred 5 starting tiles for
                > Samurai?

                I usually draw the following tiles to start (for those
                taking notes, next time I play, I'll draw something
                completely different): the Ronin (guy on the horse), a
                3 tile of each color, and usually the 2 boat, though
                sometimes I'll draw the tile swap. I find that having
                the ronin in your hand is often key to winning a key
                city early in the game and I like having the tile swap
                early so I can use it any time. Nothing is worse than
                drawing it late in the game when it is often useless.

                > ps I did try to goad Craig into attending. I told
                > him that his Bluffin' rival, the Cashmore Kid, would
                > be there. I asked him if he wanted to be the answer
                > to the riddle: What do you get if you cross a weasel
                > with a chicken? But to no avail.

                Your feeble jedi mind tricks are useless against
                weasels.

                =====