Re: [Unity_Games] thoughts on Advanced Civ

  • Mark Edwards
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2001
      I agree with most of what Matt says here. The TV event thing is even silly enough that a TV producer might buy into it. ;-)

      I was thinking the other day of some way to take the "screwage" out of the trading segment. The trading is one of my favorite "games within the game" (it kind of reminds me of "Pit") but I think the current implementation is a little flawed (or at least not to my liking). Obviously there should be a potential "gotcha" to trading, but I think both the person who draws a calamity and the person he deals it to are a both hit harder than they should through no fault of their own. The person who draws the calamity not only has the onus put on him to get rid of it (if he can), but he was just deprived of a commodity card to boot. And the person who gets the calamity obviously feels a bit put upon.

      <caution, I'm about to do some brainstorming here, please be careful ahead ;-)>
      There obviously should be some potential "gotcha" to the trading and some source of calamities in the game. I was thinking of perhaps using some sort of chips to keep track of how many trades you made during the trading round. The more chips you accumulate the more likely a calamity would befall your civilization. Perhaps you would even accumulate chips from round to round and only clear them (some of them based on the severity of the calamity?) when a calamity finally did hit you. Perhaps each player might even have their own color chips so that when secondary effects were doled out you could trace who you traded with.
      Another tweak that might be fun is actually turning that trading segment into something closer to "Pit". The object obviously would be to get big commodity sets, but in this case you'd only be calling out numbers and doing it "blind". A definite time limit would have to be involved here. This would add some chaos and remove the calculation and used car salesmanship.

      As I mentioned in an earlier post, there's a lot to love about Advanced Civilization, but the tinkerer in me wants desperately to figure out a way to synthesize and shorten the experience. Unfortunately none of the ideas above are a step in that direction, but they are neat to mull over.

      Anyhoot, it'd be fun make a cut at an Advanced Civ-lite and keep all the sub games involved.

      Mark

      Matthew Horn wrote:

      > Better late than never...
      >
      > Just a few thoughts.
      >
      > ....<snip>... Hopefully, I'll see you all next President's day.

      If you're interested in board games and are located in the Eastern Mass area, check out Unity Games!

    • Matthew Horn
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2001
        Mark Edwards wrote:

        >> I was thinking the other day of some way to take the "screwage" out
        >> of the trading segment

        I agree. Maybe have the calamity give the person a choice of which commodity
        (of that number) they can have -- in addition to the calamitous effects.
        This would also help do away with the tactic of collecting more than 2
        calamities in a round just so you can deal one out, since people won't be SO
        eager to get rid of them for nothing in return.