Kids at Unity Games II

  • Mark Edwards
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 3, 2001
      I tried to send this post out yesterday, but apparently it got lost
      in the ether-net (hah!).

      I was thinking of putting together a little "Gamer's Toolkit" for
      the kids aged 13 and under (I just picked that age outta my head). I
      figure the adults don't much care if they come away with anything
      from the prize table, but kids are a bit different about such stuff.
      So, at the very least we'd have a grab bag for em. It'd be a
      collection of stuff you'd need for say playing Cheapass games. I've
      got extra dice, pawns, glass beads, one lego mini-fig (Dr. Lucky!)
      and the cloth bag to store them in. But I could use some suggestions
      for what else should go into the bag, and of course any supplies of
      such suggestions would be nice too.

      I was thinking about making up about 15 of these bags, but I'm not
      sure of the number of kids involved either. Anyone got any
      guesstimates? Anyone remember how many were there for UG I?

      Speaking of kids, I completely understand where Dave is coming from
      in his SSG policy. It takes a little extra patience and tolerance to
      play a game with a youngun. It also depends on your comfort level
      with children also. Not everyone is "kid friendly".
      And vice-versa not all kids are up to behaving at an adult level in
      these social situations. Some of their social skills are pretty
      rough around the edges, their attention wanders, etc. (sounds like
      me! ;-) ).

      Having said all that, just like last time, Unity Games II is a wide
      open family event. So kids are of course very welcome. But please
      understand that not all kids can play all games and not every person
      you meet is ready or wants to play parent while gaming. So keep an
      eye on your kids and make sure they don't get in over their heads.
      (Or just send them to play a huge 6 board 12 player game of RoboRally
      with Pete and Dan! Heheh).

      Mark
    • Joseph McSweeney
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 3, 2001
        Pokemon cards are good gifts!!! Plastic card sleeves for their cards are
        good too. I'll think of some more things as well.

        > I tried to send this post out yesterday, but apparently it got lost
        > in the ether-net (hah!).
        >
        > I was thinking of putting together a little "Gamer's Toolkit" for
        > the kids aged 13 and under (I just picked that age outta my head). I
        > figure the adults don't much care if they come away with anything
        > from the prize table, but kids are a bit different about such stuff.
        > So, at the very least we'd have a grab bag for em. It'd be a
        > collection of stuff you'd need for say playing Cheapass games. I've
        > got extra dice, pawns, glass beads, one lego mini-fig (Dr. Lucky!)
        > and the cloth bag to store them in. But I could use some suggestions
        > for what else should go into the bag, and of course any supplies of
        > such suggestions would be nice too.
        >
        > I was thinking about making up about 15 of these bags, but I'm not
        > sure of the number of kids involved either. Anyone got any
        > guesstimates? Anyone remember how many were there for UG I?
        >
        > Speaking of kids, I completely understand where Dave is coming from
        > in his SSG policy. It takes a little extra patience and tolerance to
        > play a game with a youngun. It also depends on your comfort level
        > with children also. Not everyone is "kid friendly".
        > And vice-versa not all kids are up to behaving at an adult level in
        > these social situations. Some of their social skills are pretty
        > rough around the edges, their attention wanders, etc. (sounds like
        > me! ;-) ).
        >
        > Having said all that, just like last time, Unity Games II is a wide
        > open family event. So kids are of course very welcome. But please
        > understand that not all kids can play all games and not every person
        > you meet is ready or wants to play parent while gaming. So keep an
        > eye on your kids and make sure they don't get in over their heads.
        > (Or just send them to play a huge 6 board 12 player game of RoboRally
        > with Pete and Dan! Heheh).
        >

        > Mark
        >

        > Web page for Unity Games member database, files, polls, etc.
        >
        > To UNSUBSCRIBE from the Unity Games mailing list, please send an email to:
        and Unsubscribe from there.