Re: Unity Games Logo

  • Mark Edwards
    Message 1 of 29 , Feb 2, 2001
      --- In Unity_Games@y..., "Eddie Campisano" <edcamp@i...> wrote:
      > Greetings All!
      >
      > Well I'm all behind any T-shirt enterprise, including payment in
      > advance to get things rolling. I think the design is excellent and
      > the idea of Unity Games II having T-shirts with David's design is
      > exciting. Now, all we need is a snappy UG motto (non-subversive of
      > course!).
      >
      > Eddie

      I always liked Dave B's original line, "Unity Games... We Don't
      Suck" or wait, maybe it was "Friendship Through Gaming". I forget.
      They both have their merits though.

      Mark
      Message 2 of 29 , Feb 2, 2001
        Mark Edwards wrote:
        > Despite the fact that I'm color blind (or have a color vision
        > deficiency if you want to say it the PC way) I just love color!

        I was thinking a bit of color on the lettering might be nice too. But it's
        nice as is. Let's leave it up to David!

        > And while we're at it, could someone supply Dave
        > with a Europa or Sumera meeple for modeling purposes?
        > I know everyone fawns over the game, but those
        > Carcassonne meeples are just too squat. Thankfully
        > it appears Dave took some of the squat out of them, but
        > still can't we have non-phantasmed meeples? And besides
        > the Europa/Sumera meeples come in both sexes!

        Carcassonne meeples come in both sexes. It's a little known fact. They
        just don't make their citizens wear skirts. Plus when Carcassonne sweeps
        the planet, we will have a logo which reminds people of that great game.

        dber@...
        Message 3 of 29 , Feb 2, 2001
          Mark Edwards wrote:

          > I always liked Dave B's original line, "Unity Games... We
          > Don't Suck" or wait, maybe it was "Friendship Through Gaming".
          > I forget. They both have their merits though.

          Hehheh... people might think that's funny but it was true! I don't remember
          the exact wording, but we had a couple working doozies for a motto. "Unity
          Games - We Don't Suck" was definitely one of them. "Unity Games - If We Had
          Other Friends, We Wouldn't Be Here" was another. Some obviously got the axe
          quicker than others :)

          I wonder if anyone kept their ticket and/or name badge from UG1 (which has
          the original UG1 motto printed on it)? I think I saw Dave Rapp selling his
          on ebay for a pretty profit! (thinking back on it, those fancy UG1 tickets
          I made up were more a waste of time than anything - I think about a quarter
          of them went into the bucket after the prizes were drawn and they were no
          longer needed! hehheh).

          dber@...
        • David Fontes
          Message 4 of 29 , Feb 2, 2001
            Adding color is easy. I can make a few options this weekend and y'all can
            have a look.
            -David
            =============
            David Fontes http://www.mmiusa.com/ookpik/
            dfontes@...
          • Eddie Campisano
            Message 5 of 29 , Feb 2, 2001
              --- In Unity_Games@y..., "Dave Bernazzani" <dber@g...> wrote:

              > I'm not sure about T-shirts - maybe we've gone overboard :) But I
              am glad
              > other people like the logo!

              Dave! Don't go squashing the T-shirt idea. We're on a roll, a
              steamroller, and you'll get squished like meeple roadkill if you get
              in the way. We're about to make Dave F., the outstanding graphic
              artist, rich and famous! Soon everyone will be wearing UGII T-shirts!
              We can have the UG sybol everywhere. I say we'll be proud to wear the
              UG label everywhere we go!

              But, seriously, I think having the UG logo on a T-shirt is a good
              idea. Even if we can't get it done for UGII, we can still do it.
              There's no need to rush into this, but every lawn care and trash
              company has their own T-shirts displaying their company logo; so why
              not us too?! And, as I said before, I'm willing to put up some cash
              in advance. Hey, I'd rather wear a UG T-shirt than a Boardgame Geek T-
              shirt!

              Eddie
            • Craig Massey
              Message 6 of 29 , Feb 2, 2001
                --- Eddie Campisano <edcamp@...> wrote:
                Eddie Implored:
                > But, seriously, I think having the UG logo on a
                > T-shirt is a good
                > idea. Even if we can't get it done for UGII, we can
                > still do it.
                > There's no need to rush into this, but every lawn
                > care and trash
                > company has their own T-shirts displaying their
                > company logo; so why
                > not us too?! And, as I said before, I'm willing to
                > put up some cash
                > in advance. Hey, I'd rather wear a UG T-shirt than a
                > Boardgame Geek T-
                > shirt!

                I'm all for the t-shirt idea. I can't think of a good
                reason not to do it.

                Thanks to Dave F. for the great work. I like the
                logo, but like mark a smidge of color in the UG would
                be nice. I would also like to see a few other logos
                if there are some other ideas out there before going
                ahead with the t-shirt thing. Dave did a great job on
                the first and it looks great, but I'm all about
                choices. If there are any other suggestions, let's
                see em and do a poll as Andrew suggested. Heck maybe
                Dave has a few other logos besides his first pass. We
                have plenty of time before UGII to do this.

                Craig

                =====
                Craig W. Massey
                cwmassey@...

                a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
              • Mark Edwards
                Message 7 of 29 , Feb 2, 2001
                  --- In Unity_Games@y..., Craig Massey <cwmassey@y...> wrote:

                  > --- Eddie Campisano <edcamp@i...> wrote:
                  > Eddie Implored:
                  > > But, seriously, I think having the UG logo on a
                  > > T-shirt is a good
                  > > idea. <snip>

                  > I'm all for the t-shirt idea. I can't think of a good
                  > reason not to do it.

                  Add a "me three" to this one! I think it's a great idea.

                  > Thanks to Dave F. for the great work. I like the
                  > logo, but like mark a smidge of color in the UG would
                  > be nice.

                  I don't even rate upper case for the first letter of my name
                  anymore? Or are you using "mark" as a noun or verb here. I can't
                  figure it out. Heheh.

                  > I would also like to see a few other logos
                  > if there are some other ideas out there before going
                  > ahead with the t-shirt thing. Dave did a great job on
                  > the first and it looks great, but I'm all about
                  > choices.

                  Yep, the more choices the merrier! Heck we can make T-Shirts outta
                  them too! ;-)

                  Mark
                • AndAgainMA@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 29 , Feb 2, 2001
                    I think that Dave's logo is fine as it is. The meeples already provide color
                    - more might be too much for my refined European sensibilities :-)

                    If the letters are to be colored, I suggest my favorite game piece color:
                    faded orange (sort of hare krishna color, cultish though that might sound).

                    Now, where are those George Harrison LPs...

                    Andrew.

                  • Eddie Campisano
                    Message 9 of 29 , Feb 2, 2001
                      --- In Unity_Games@y..., AndAgainMA@a... wrote:
                      > I think that Dave's logo is fine as it is. The meeples already
                      provide color
                      > - more might be too much for my refined European sensibilities :-)

                      Actually, being a trained graphic artist myself (a career long since
                      abandoned) I must agree with Andrew. Too much color is too much!
                      Having the rainbow color of meeples centered on the white UG letters
                      is balanced and well pleasing to the eye. The only possible change
                      that I would recommend is either making the letter outlines more bold
                      or having the logo printed on a slightly darker background. However,
                      I wouldn't want to impugn Dave Fontes artistic ability by suggesting
                      he do anything at all to the logo. It's perfect the way it is.

                      Eddie
                    • AndAgainMA@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 29 , Feb 2, 2001
                        And I in turn would agree with my friend Eddie "The Artist" Campisano: "I
                        wouldn't want to impugn Dave Fontes artistic ability by suggesting he do
                        anything at all to the logo."

                        Once we start tinkering with Dave's fine design, how far down the slippery
                        slope do we go? Hey, Salvador, lose the elephants! Yo, Leonardo, fix that
                        Mona Lisa chick's weird expression!

                        Dave's an artist, and he don't need to look back at his design on my account!

                        Andrew.

                      • Mark Edwards
                        Message 11 of 29 , Feb 2, 2001
                          --- In Unity_Games@y..., "Eddie Campisano" <edcamp@i...> wrote:
                          ><snip> It's perfect the way it is.

                          Ohhhh, isn't that sweet. Gaaahhh, you "nice" people make me ill.
                          No wonder the Morlocks decided to eat the Eloi in "The Time Machine".

                          Dave I'd love to see those tweaked logos whenever you're done with
                          them. And I like Eddie's idea about the more bolded letters. It
                          preserves the white letters but makes them stick out from the
                          background a bit more.
                          His idea about the use of a background color is all wet though,
                          feel free to ignore that one. Heheh. Actually I just don't know how
                          the background color would work. I'd think it would screw things
                          up by giving the background a shape? It just wouldn't look right on
                          T-Shirts.
                          And feel free to ignore Andrew...(whisper mode on) he's a Brit you
                          know. Anyone with English in their bloodline can't possibly have
                          anything worthwhile to contribute concerning aesthetics. ;-)

                          Mark
                        • Alison Hansel
                          Message 12 of 29 , Feb 7, 2001
                            Hi everyone,

                            Seems like I've been gone for ages, due to travelling and just general
                            pregnancy unwellness, but I'm on the road back for now and just wanted
                            to say that I love the little meeple logo. I have no idea what
                            decisions have been made about things since I'm clearly hundreds of
                            messages behind, but I for one, totally want a t-shirt!

                            --Alison
                          • Alison Hansel
                            Message 13 of 29 , Feb 7, 2001
                              It's me again catching up with old emails.

                              Mark wrote:
                              > And feel free to ignore Andrew...(whisper mode on) he's a Brit
                              you
                              > know. Anyone with English in their bloodline can't possibly have
                              > anything worthwhile to contribute concerning aesthetics. ;-)

                              I'm don't necessarily want to defend Andrew's aesthetic
                              sensibilities, but I must say that some of the greatest
                              philosophers of aesthetics were Brits! I prefer the
                              aesthetics of Kant (German philosopher), but still the
                              Brits have done some good work here.

                              So there.

                              Aren't you all glad I'm back???

                              -Alison