Re: Unity Games Logo

  • Mark Edwards
    Message 1 of 29 , Feb 2, 2001
      --- In Unity_Games@y..., "Dave Bernazzani" <dber@g...> wrote:
      > Well, the first fine attempt at a Unity Games logo came in from
      David F
      > (many thanks!). I think it looks cool! I've added it to the main
      page:

      I love the new logo!

      Now I know I'll be shot down, criticized for being too critical,
      for besmirching Dave F's fine work...(and you knew it was
      coming)...but... can we experiment with a color for the UG letters?
      Not a lot, just a little, a teensy smidge, a faint hint, a mere
      pinch... then again neon yellow works good for me too. ;-)

      Despite the fact that I'm color blind (or have a color vision
      deficiency if you want to say it the PC way) I just love color!

      And while we're at it, could someone supply Dave with a Europa or
      Sumera meeple for modeling purposes? I know everyone fawns over the
      game, but those Carcassonne meeples are just too squat. Thankfully
      it appears Dave took some of the squat out of them, but still can't
      we have non-phantasmed meeples? And besides the Europa/Sumera
      meeples come in both sexes!

      Alright, alright I'm done. <Shields up Mr. Sulu!>

      Mark

      P.S. I DO LIKE THE LOGO! Kudos to Dave F for creating it for us.
      Lord knows I couldn't.
    • Mark Edwards
      Message 2 of 29 , Feb 2, 2001
        --- In Unity_Games@y..., "Eddie Campisano" <edcamp@i...> wrote:
        > Greetings All!
        >
        > Well I'm all behind any T-shirt enterprise, including payment in
        > advance to get things rolling. I think the design is excellent and
        > the idea of Unity Games II having T-shirts with David's design is
        > exciting. Now, all we need is a snappy UG motto (non-subversive of
        > course!).
        >
        > Eddie

        I always liked Dave B's original line, "Unity Games... We Don't
        Suck" or wait, maybe it was "Friendship Through Gaming". I forget.
        They both have their merits though.

        Mark
        Message 3 of 29 , Feb 2, 2001
          Mark Edwards wrote:
          > Despite the fact that I'm color blind (or have a color vision
          > deficiency if you want to say it the PC way) I just love color!

          I was thinking a bit of color on the lettering might be nice too. But it's
          nice as is. Let's leave it up to David!

          > And while we're at it, could someone supply Dave
          > with a Europa or Sumera meeple for modeling purposes?
          > I know everyone fawns over the game, but those
          > Carcassonne meeples are just too squat. Thankfully
          > it appears Dave took some of the squat out of them, but
          > still can't we have non-phantasmed meeples? And besides
          > the Europa/Sumera meeples come in both sexes!

          Carcassonne meeples come in both sexes. It's a little known fact. They
          just don't make their citizens wear skirts. Plus when Carcassonne sweeps
          the planet, we will have a logo which reminds people of that great game.

          dber@...
          Message 4 of 29 , Feb 2, 2001
            Mark Edwards wrote:

            > I always liked Dave B's original line, "Unity Games... We
            > Don't Suck" or wait, maybe it was "Friendship Through Gaming".
            > I forget. They both have their merits though.

            Hehheh... people might think that's funny but it was true! I don't remember
            the exact wording, but we had a couple working doozies for a motto. "Unity
            Games - We Don't Suck" was definitely one of them. "Unity Games - If We Had
            Other Friends, We Wouldn't Be Here" was another. Some obviously got the axe
            quicker than others :)

            I wonder if anyone kept their ticket and/or name badge from UG1 (which has
            the original UG1 motto printed on it)? I think I saw Dave Rapp selling his
            on ebay for a pretty profit! (thinking back on it, those fancy UG1 tickets
            I made up were more a waste of time than anything - I think about a quarter
            of them went into the bucket after the prizes were drawn and they were no
            longer needed! hehheh).

            dber@...
          • David Fontes
            Message 5 of 29 , Feb 2, 2001
              Adding color is easy. I can make a few options this weekend and y'all can
              have a look.
              -David
              =============
              David Fontes http://www.mmiusa.com/ookpik/
              dfontes@...
            • Eddie Campisano
              Message 6 of 29 , Feb 2, 2001
                --- In Unity_Games@y..., "Dave Bernazzani" <dber@g...> wrote:

                > I'm not sure about T-shirts - maybe we've gone overboard :) But I
                am glad
                > other people like the logo!

                Dave! Don't go squashing the T-shirt idea. We're on a roll, a
                steamroller, and you'll get squished like meeple roadkill if you get
                in the way. We're about to make Dave F., the outstanding graphic
                artist, rich and famous! Soon everyone will be wearing UGII T-shirts!
                We can have the UG sybol everywhere. I say we'll be proud to wear the
                UG label everywhere we go!

                But, seriously, I think having the UG logo on a T-shirt is a good
                idea. Even if we can't get it done for UGII, we can still do it.
                There's no need to rush into this, but every lawn care and trash
                company has their own T-shirts displaying their company logo; so why
                not us too?! And, as I said before, I'm willing to put up some cash
                in advance. Hey, I'd rather wear a UG T-shirt than a Boardgame Geek T-
                shirt!

                Eddie
              • Craig Massey
                Message 7 of 29 , Feb 2, 2001
                  --- Eddie Campisano <edcamp@...> wrote:
                  Eddie Implored:
                  > But, seriously, I think having the UG logo on a
                  > T-shirt is a good
                  > idea. Even if we can't get it done for UGII, we can
                  > still do it.
                  > There's no need to rush into this, but every lawn
                  > care and trash
                  > company has their own T-shirts displaying their
                  > company logo; so why
                  > not us too?! And, as I said before, I'm willing to
                  > put up some cash
                  > in advance. Hey, I'd rather wear a UG T-shirt than a
                  > Boardgame Geek T-
                  > shirt!

                  I'm all for the t-shirt idea. I can't think of a good
                  reason not to do it.

                  Thanks to Dave F. for the great work. I like the
                  logo, but like mark a smidge of color in the UG would
                  be nice. I would also like to see a few other logos
                  if there are some other ideas out there before going
                  ahead with the t-shirt thing. Dave did a great job on
                  the first and it looks great, but I'm all about
                  choices. If there are any other suggestions, let's
                  see em and do a poll as Andrew suggested. Heck maybe
                  Dave has a few other logos besides his first pass. We
                  have plenty of time before UGII to do this.

                  Craig

                  =====
                  Craig W. Massey
                  cwmassey@...

                  a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
                • Mark Edwards
                  Message 8 of 29 , Feb 2, 2001
                    --- In Unity_Games@y..., Craig Massey <cwmassey@y...> wrote:

                    > --- Eddie Campisano <edcamp@i...> wrote:
                    > Eddie Implored:
                    > > But, seriously, I think having the UG logo on a
                    > > T-shirt is a good
                    > > idea. <snip>

                    > I'm all for the t-shirt idea. I can't think of a good
                    > reason not to do it.

                    Add a "me three" to this one! I think it's a great idea.

                    > Thanks to Dave F. for the great work. I like the
                    > logo, but like mark a smidge of color in the UG would
                    > be nice.

                    I don't even rate upper case for the first letter of my name
                    anymore? Or are you using "mark" as a noun or verb here. I can't
                    figure it out. Heheh.

                    > I would also like to see a few other logos
                    > if there are some other ideas out there before going
                    > ahead with the t-shirt thing. Dave did a great job on
                    > the first and it looks great, but I'm all about
                    > choices.

                    Yep, the more choices the merrier! Heck we can make T-Shirts outta
                    them too! ;-)

                    Mark
                  • AndAgainMA@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 29 , Feb 2, 2001
                      I think that Dave's logo is fine as it is. The meeples already provide color
                      - more might be too much for my refined European sensibilities :-)

                      If the letters are to be colored, I suggest my favorite game piece color:
                      faded orange (sort of hare krishna color, cultish though that might sound).

                      Now, where are those George Harrison LPs...

                      Andrew.

                    • Eddie Campisano
                      Message 10 of 29 , Feb 2, 2001
                        --- In Unity_Games@y..., AndAgainMA@a... wrote:
                        > I think that Dave's logo is fine as it is. The meeples already
                        provide color
                        > - more might be too much for my refined European sensibilities :-)

                        Actually, being a trained graphic artist myself (a career long since
                        abandoned) I must agree with Andrew. Too much color is too much!
                        Having the rainbow color of meeples centered on the white UG letters
                        is balanced and well pleasing to the eye. The only possible change
                        that I would recommend is either making the letter outlines more bold
                        or having the logo printed on a slightly darker background. However,
                        I wouldn't want to impugn Dave Fontes artistic ability by suggesting
                        he do anything at all to the logo. It's perfect the way it is.

                        Eddie
                      • AndAgainMA@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 29 , Feb 2, 2001
                          And I in turn would agree with my friend Eddie "The Artist" Campisano: "I
                          wouldn't want to impugn Dave Fontes artistic ability by suggesting he do
                          anything at all to the logo."

                          Once we start tinkering with Dave's fine design, how far down the slippery
                          slope do we go? Hey, Salvador, lose the elephants! Yo, Leonardo, fix that
                          Mona Lisa chick's weird expression!

                          Dave's an artist, and he don't need to look back at his design on my account!

                          Andrew.

                        • Mark Edwards
                          Message 12 of 29 , Feb 2, 2001
                            --- In Unity_Games@y..., "Eddie Campisano" <edcamp@i...> wrote:
                            ><snip> It's perfect the way it is.

                            Ohhhh, isn't that sweet. Gaaahhh, you "nice" people make me ill.
                            No wonder the Morlocks decided to eat the Eloi in "The Time Machine".

                            Dave I'd love to see those tweaked logos whenever you're done with
                            them. And I like Eddie's idea about the more bolded letters. It
                            preserves the white letters but makes them stick out from the
                            background a bit more.
                            His idea about the use of a background color is all wet though,
                            feel free to ignore that one. Heheh. Actually I just don't know how
                            the background color would work. I'd think it would screw things
                            up by giving the background a shape? It just wouldn't look right on
                            T-Shirts.
                            And feel free to ignore Andrew...(whisper mode on) he's a Brit you
                            know. Anyone with English in their bloodline can't possibly have
                            anything worthwhile to contribute concerning aesthetics. ;-)

                            Mark
                          • Alison Hansel
                            Message 13 of 29 , Feb 7, 2001
                              Hi everyone,

                              Seems like I've been gone for ages, due to travelling and just general
                              pregnancy unwellness, but I'm on the road back for now and just wanted
                              to say that I love the little meeple logo. I have no idea what
                              decisions have been made about things since I'm clearly hundreds of
                              messages behind, but I for one, totally want a t-shirt!

                              --Alison
                            • Alison Hansel
                              Message 14 of 29 , Feb 7, 2001
                                It's me again catching up with old emails.

                                Mark wrote:
                                > And feel free to ignore Andrew...(whisper mode on) he's a Brit
                                you
                                > know. Anyone with English in their bloodline can't possibly have
                                > anything worthwhile to contribute concerning aesthetics. ;-)

                                I'm don't necessarily want to defend Andrew's aesthetic
                                sensibilities, but I must say that some of the greatest
                                philosophers of aesthetics were Brits! I prefer the
                                aesthetics of Kant (German philosopher), but still the
                                Brits have done some good work here.

                                So there.

                                Aren't you all glad I'm back???

                                -Alison