Kuhhandel variant

  • AndAgainMA@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 29, 2001
      I'd welcome comments on the Pegasus variant - especially from those who have
      actually played Kuhhandel recently. The aim is to make the game shorter and
      more Knizian.

      It's at:
      http://members.aol.com/AndAgainMA/Variant.htm
      along with a few other weird ideas.

      Share and enjoy,

      Andrew.

    • Craig Massey
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 30, 2001
        --- AndAgainMA@... wrote:
        > I'd welcome comments on the Pegasus variant -
        > especially from those who have
        > actually played Kuhhandel recently. The aim is to
        > make the game shorter and
        > more Knizian.

        First off - great ideas in the variant. Starting with
        a balanced set of animals is a great way shorten the
        game and get players into the horsetrading much
        quicker.

        Comments on money counting (you knew that I would have
        some on this didn't you).

        Reason one - the game plays like a long filler: Yes I
        absolutely agree with this point, but having the money
        count isn't meant to address this problem. I find the
        game has an endgame problem which is very
        anticlimactic. The endgame conditions look like they
        will help it, but I still think the last few
        Kuhhandels won't quite feel right.

        Reason two - money not counting is a distinctive
        feature: Okay - I can understand this, but a few
        distinctive features have already been changed
        (endgame, starting animals). And if a distinctive
        feature isn't really working - which at the moment it
        really feels that way, then there is no need to keep
        it.

        Anyway, looking at the numbers, there is a total of
        $4700 worth of cards in the game. I don't think
        hoarding is a viable strategy because sets of animals
        is likely to be more valuable.

        I think it is possible that a large sum of cash will
        beat players with one or maybe two sets, but once
        someone gets three or four sets, then you need alot
        of cash to make up the difference. Reducing it to a
        fraction makes the cash almost totally neglible and it
        will make a difference only in the closest of games.

        Using money in the end scoring forces a player to
        manage his resources better, making the late game
        kuhhandels more interesting decisions. If you wanted
        to have cash count in the same spirit as the sets,
        then maybe make cash at the end count if you have sets
        of four - at least for the 10's and 50's.

        I'm looking forward to trying it with the variants,
        but I'm not convinced that any endgame bidding
        problems are solved. The variant does make it a
        shorter game which is an improvement over the fact
        that it felt like a long filler.

        Craig

        =====
        Craig W. Massey