Re: [Unity_Games] Chinatown

  • Campbell MacInnes
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 29, 2001
      On Jan 29, 01, aboyer@... wrote:
      >Haven't seen this one in any scenario reports, but it's a favorite in my
      >group, does anyone else play this one?
      >
      >Andrew

      "Jade Dragon on fire, call back later!"

    • Andrew Boyer
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 29, 2001
        Haven't seen this one in any scenario reports, but it's a favorite in my
        group, does anyone else play this one?

        Andrew

        Andrew Boyer mailto:aboyer@...
        Engineer phone:617-386-1549
        Art Technology Group http://www.atg.com/
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 29, 2001
          Andrew wrote:
          >Haven't seen this one in any scenario reports, but it's a
          >favorite in my group, does anyone else play this one?

          We played at the South Shore Gamers two weeks ago (see session report on my
          homepage) and it was my 2nd play. I rather enjoyed it - but many of the
          people I've played with found it rather dry. I'm looking forward to playing
          again soon and wondered if there would be anyone left interested! Ahh-so!

          dber@...
        • Matthew Horn
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 29, 2001
            I am up for trying Chinatown, although I don't own it. I've heard it's dry,
            too, but I also heard that about Samurai and ended up loving that game. I
            will soon own Samurai, and then ALL OF JAPAN WILL BE MINE!

          • Mark Edwards
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 29, 2001
              --- In Unity_Games@y..., "Dave Bernazzani" <dber@g...> wrote:
              > Andrew wrote:
              > >Haven't seen this one in any scenario reports, but it's a
              > >favorite in my group, does anyone else play this one?
              >
              > We played at the South Shore Gamers two weeks ago (see session
              report on my
              > homepage) and it was my 2nd play. I rather enjoyed it - but many
              of
              the
              > people I've played with found it rather dry. I'm looking forward
              playing
              > again soon and wondered if there would be anyone left interested!
              Ahh-so!

              I'm in the "don't like it" crowd. I find the negiations much too
              dry as you can actually calculate out what things are worth very
              easily. Also I've found that it basically boils down to which folks
              DON'T have to negotiate as the eventual winners (unless of course you
              have a wolf among sheep).

              I beg you (and everyone for that matter) to play Kohle, Kies, and
              Knete sometime. I'll be sure to bring it to UG II and Total
              Confusion, and almost any other game event I attend. It's just a
              whole lot more fun than Chinatown and I figure if I get enough people
              hooked that somebody somewhere will get the idea that the game needs
              to be reprinted.

              Mark
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 29, 2001
                Mark Edwards wrote:
                > [Chinatown snip]
                > I'm in the "don't like it" crowd. I find the negiations much too
                > dry as you can actually calculate out what things are worth very
                > easily. Also I've found that it basically boils down to which folks
                > DON'T have to negotiate as the eventual winners (unless of
                > course you have a wolf among sheep).

                I think the game is almost impossible to have a perfect draw where you
                wouldn't need to negotiate. I got a heck of a good draw early in our last
                game - but I still had to wheel and deal. And I like the near-free-form
                Chinatown deals that are made. I would not have won that particular game
                without making the deals I made (must have been at least 8 or 10 deals).

                > I beg you (and everyone for that matter) to play Kohle, Kies, and
                > Knete sometime. I'll be sure to bring it to UG II and [snip]

                I've become a big fan of KK&K since you taught it to me last year (although
                it overcame a very slow start). With about 6 or 8 games under my belt I
                definitely like it better than Chinatown but there are some key differences
                in the games. I like the fact that in Chinatown if you own a plot or tile,
                you can deal that plot and/or tile and nobody can take that power away from
                you. In KK&K you can get _badly_ screwed out of deals which can leave a bad
                taste in your mouth (several people won't play because of bad experiences
                such as this - I tried to get a group of four at UG1 to play and they
                refused - saying they wouldn't touch the game anytime soon). I think
                Chinatown is more forgiving in this respect - there is not much another
                player can do to take you out of a position to bargain (you might not get
                your deal, but you will be not often be knocked completely out of the
                running). But generally I agree, KK&K is the more "fun" game although I'm
                really looking forward to another playing of Chinatown.

                dber@...
              • AndAgainMA@aol.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 29, 2001
                  I've enjoyed my two games of Chinatown. I'd certainly be up for playing again.

                  I agree that it can be a little calculable, and hence dry, towards the end, but I don't think it has any problems that couldn't be fixed in a well-devised variant.

                  Andrew.